Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Shortened My Cpo Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took my 2013 S60 in for warranty repairs (battery contactors failing) and upon arrival the check in sheet had "warranty expired" hand written across the top.

I bought my car CPO in August 2017 with 30,000km and the salesman told me it came with the new car 4yr/80,000km warranty, so I should be good until 2021 or 110,000km.

Upon further discussion and checking, they confirmed my car was in fact under warranty, but it was only until Aug 2019 because it was over 4 yrs old when purchased! My understanding is the shortened 2yr warranty did not exist until early 2018.

Can anybody help confirm this? I have also seen another thread where someone had their warranty prematurely shortened, I'm wondering how many people this is happening to that don't even know it yet!

...Can anybody help confirm this?...

If you don't mind, how did you purchased your used car?

If you go on the Tesla used car page it would say specifically which car gets 2 years and which gets 4 years.

Is there any warranty document on your Tesla Account page?

Did you receive any warranty document in the e-mail when you bought your car?

Capture.JPG
If you don't mind, how did you purchased your used car?

If you go on the Tesla used car page it would say specifically which car gets 2 years and which gets 4 years.

Is there any warranty document on your Tesla Account page?

Did you receive any warranty document in the e-mail when you bought your car?

I bought it by walking in to the Tesla store and speaking directly to their CPO sales rep. He said they just got it in on trade and it wasn't advertised on the website. I didn't get any warranty paperwork other than the part in the agreement that says "limited new car warranty".

With regard to the website, I know what it says now about cars older than 4 years and over 80,000km having a shorter warranty, but if you look on the archived versions of that page, it was changed to that in 2018. The original version in 2017 (when I bought it) makes no mention of the shorter warranty.Capture.JPG

I didn't get any warranty paperwork other than the part in the agreement that says "limited new car warranty".
In the paperwork they gave you at delivery there should have been a full page document about the warranty for your specific VIN number. I'm attaching a copy of mine here.

My car was advertised as having a 2 year warranty (over 4 years old and over 50k miles) but the paperwork they gave me said 4. Since it's a legal document they were forced to change my warranty to 4 years after I pointed it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_170216.jpg
    IMG_20190405_170216.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Tam
View attachment 421120

I bought it by walking in to the Tesla store and speaking directly to their CPO sales rep. He said they just got it in on trade and it wasn't advertised on the website. I didn't get any warranty paperwork other than the part in the agreement that says "limited new car warranty".

With regard to the website, I know what it says now about cars older than 4 years and over 80,000km having a shorter warranty, but if you look on the archived versions of that page, it was changed to that in 2018. The original version in 2017 (when I bought it) makes no mention of the shorter warranty.View attachment 421120

Well your car wasn't a new car so that warranty couldn't apply.

In the paperwork they gave you at delivery there should have been a full page document about the warranty for your specific VIN number. I'm attaching a copy of mine here.

My car was advertised as having a 2 year warranty (over 4 years old and over 50k miles) but the paperwork they gave me said 4. Since it's a legal document they were forced to change my warranty to 4 years after I pointed it out.

Wow, I definitely didn't get that, and it's not in the documents on my Tesla online account.Annotation 2019-06-21 063123.png

Never profit from someone else’s mistake. It’s not us against them.
Well it's not really your position to tell me what to do but if it makes you feel better there's more to the story. My car had a bunch of issues that they had signed off as passing on the 70 point inspection (windshield chips, nail in tire, wrong size wheels, missing bolts under the car, missed recalls, corroded steering wheel bolts, faulty contactors, etc etc). To the point where they offered to give me a full refund. Or they said if I keep the car they would fix all the issues, give me 4 years free servicing and a free integrated center console. I agreed as long as they honor the 4 year warranty that I had pointed out on the paperwork. The sales agent said they would have to since it's a legal document.

Last edited: