Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some on 8.7, others on 8.9 and still others on 24.14. WHAT?
Welcome to the world of Tesla updates -bizarre!

I wish they would just use a normal SDLC approach, all these forked code paths and different distribution versions only confuses us and IMHO increases risk of bugs and reintroducing old ones!
If a version is released, make it available to the whole population.

Why can’t I get 2024.8.9? Who knows? Others have had it for ages and I’m still on 7 and no notice for update.☹️

vanishingly small and economically uninteresting market for Tesla.
I’d disagree- Given we have the highest per capita penetration and fastest growing market (as % of population) ours is the ideal market to focus on bringing in and testing new and true improvements.
Other tech has known this for years - Australians love their new tech toys. In times gone by we got models/versions here that nowhere else in the world had, as they tested its operation in the market and then made improvements in a new model that was then released globally.

While pure $ we mean very little, they wouldn’t want to lose this market - it would hurt.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
You're not missing much on 2024.8.9, it was minor updates on 2024.8.7

According to TeslaFi (which has almost 20,000 contributors) no-one (which I suspect means no current (or unfortunately foremer) Tesla employee has 2024.14.x)

But you are in the minority. Almost 9000 ppl on 8.9, only 500 on 8.7.

The US FSD trial fleet is similarly split with 6500 on 3.15 and 700 on 3.10

The remainder on much older versions or have stopped communicating with TeslaFi.

But there have been almost no updates rolled out in the last week, presumably waiting this substantial update.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Given we have the highest per capita penetration and fastest growing market (as % of population
Say what. Australia is at about 1% EV sales last year, and a fraction of a percent of total fleet. This is well below every European country and the US. Plus unlike all those other high penetration Western countries we are RHD.

Wouldn’t be hard… but Tesla are light years behind in true usable UI… they need a lesson or two from Apple!
Even with this improvements the UI is klunky, and items in sub menus often totally out of context. It’s always the same when the tech drives the UI instead of true user centred design.

Each to their own but the Tesla UI isn’t that bad. Seen plenty worse. At least now the UI has a search box, which largely neuters any UI confusion as to where a particular control is. These days I hardly ever interact with the UI anyway, it remembers all the driver’s settings, so what is left to fiddle with apart from navigating, adjusting the AC or selecting music, all of which are pretty easy?

Each to their own but the Tesla UI isn’t that bad. Seen plenty worse. At least now the UI has a search box, which largely neuters any UI confusion as to where a particular control is. These days I hardly ever interact with the UI anyway, it remembers all the driver’s settings, so what is left to fiddle with apart from navigating, adjusting the AC or selecting music, all of which are pretty easy?
I agree. The BYD UI is heaps bad in comparison.

Reactions: bcarp
Each to their own but the Tesla UI isn’t that bad.
And the massive point some people tend to miss or not understand is that by producing all of the software themselves and not relying on a cop out like Android Auto or Apple Car Play, they are able to iterate whenever they need to which extends to all of the other parts of the vehicles and internal software. They don't have to rely on getting a dozen different makers to all work together to make a single simple change like legacy auto do.

People like to sprout off about how dumb this is or that is, but generally haven't put any real thought into why it may be and that yes, the dozens of engineers who have completely and consistently proven 'egg-spurts' and nay sayers wrong time and time again just might have slightly more of a clue what they are doing than some mighty random keyboard warrior.

Reactions: dronus
And the massive point some people tend to miss or not understand is that by producing all of the software themselves and not relying on a cop out like Android Auto or Apple Car Play, they are able to iterate whenever they need to which extends to all of the other parts of the vehicles and internal software. They don't have to rely on getting a dozen different makers to all work together to make a single simple change like legacy auto do.

People like to sprout off about how dumb this is or that is, but generally haven't put any real thought into why it may be and that yes, the dozens of engineers who have completely and consistently proven 'egg-spurts' and nay sayers wrong time and time again just might have slightly more of a clue what they are doing than some mighty random keyboard warrior.
I really like the Tesla interface. I also embrace change and prefer everything to not all be the same.
When I get in the Tesla, I’m in the Tesla. It doesn’t need to share any familiarity with anything else, in fact that’s a big plus for me.
Sometimes I drive with the entertainment system off, just enjoy the silence :)

Here's a comparison. My Renault Zoe is approaching 6yrs old and we still like it very much- particularly for around town. Battery SOH 90%.

It has an embedded SIM and modem etc and has OTA updates and some other things like email and weather access, congestion routing, TomTom live services et al.

1. I have only ever had two OTA updates, back almost 6 years ago. Each just bug fixing, no functionality changes.
2. It costs 100 Euros per annum for a new map and a separate 100 Euros pa for "connected services" such as speed cams & congestion routing.
3. Maps are always more out of date than Tesla Maps.
4. The phone App (for remote climate & charge parameter stuff) has never worked in Aus because Renault was a distributor not a subsidiary.
5. I'm not sure but info from the UK where they are also phasing out 3G is that the Zoe online stuff will stop working and Renault is not offering any LTE modem upgrade.

My daughter has an Ioniq 5. Nice car, but it needs Android Auto for Nav. and software updates only happen at the dealer. Just like old ICE cars. Another friend has a Cupra Born. It has less than the Zoe even though it is a current EV.

So, to my mind, my M3LR is very good and it has improved a lot since September 2021. I used to manage an International Computer R&D facility and even though our very strict methodology and release management was totally different from that of Tesla, I am not critical of them. I just really enjoy the car and appreciate some of the things that have been delivered since I bought it such as blind spot monitoring, improvements to AP, addition of waypoints, improvements to nav & energy management, reduction of vampire drain plus more. Yes they get some things wrong but they do tend to be eventually improved (such as removing of "cards", windscreen wipers, high beam........).

I've had 62 updates with the median time between updates 13 days.

If you watch all the Bjorn 1,000km EV challenges, you'll see way worse examples of software than Tesla.

Here's a comparison. My Renault Zoe is approaching 6yrs old and we still like it very much- particularly for around town. Battery SOH 90%.

It has an embedded SIM and modem etc and has OTA updates and some other things like email and weather access, congestion routing, TomTom live services et al.

1. I have only ever had two OTA updates, back almost 6 years ago. Each just bug fixing, no functionality changes.
2. It costs 100 Euros per annum for a new map and a separate 100 Euros pa for "connected services" such as speed cams & congestion routing.
3. Maps are always more out of date than Tesla Maps.
4. The phone App (for remote climate & charge parameter stuff) has never worked in Aus because Renault was a distributor not a subsidiary.
5. I'm not sure but info from the UK where they are also phasing out 3G is that the Zoe online stuff will stop working and Renault is not offering any LTE modem upgrade.

My daughter has an Ioniq 5. Nice car, but it needs Android Auto for Nav. and software updates only happen at the dealer. Just like old ICE cars. Another friend has a Cupra Born. It has less than the Zoe even though it is a current EV.

So, to my mind, my M3LR is very good and it has improved a lot since September 2021. I used to manage an International Computer R&D facility and even though our very strict methodology and release management was totally different from that of Tesla, I am not critical of them. I just really enjoy the car and appreciate some of the things that have been delivered since I bought it such as blind spot monitoring, improvements to AP, addition of waypoints, improvements to nav & energy management, reduction of vampire drain plus more. Yes they get some things wrong but they do tend to be eventually improved (such as removing of "cards", windscreen wipers, high beam........).

I've had 62 updates with the median time between updates 13 days.

If you watch all the Bjorn 1,000km EV challenges, you'll see way worse examples of software than Tesla.

I agree with most of this, the Tesla software is indeed way beyond other auto manufacturers. HOWEVER, while the map screen is awesome, the navigation itself isn't as good as Apple Maps in my opinion, no 3D intersection visualisations etc, Apple maps now has even spot on lane markings on its maps. It also doesn't do all the music streaming services yet, eg, I prefer YouTube music as I have it included in YouTube premium.

Tesla either needs to do more, let others do it via an app store or still let us use CarPlay/AA for the of apps it doesn't have.

While the Renault doesn't offer much for 100EUR, lets not forget that Premium Conectivity, even if not required for all features is $120 a year.

Reactions: moa999 and Jules22

Sounds a lot like my LEAF 🤣 except it’s never had an OTA update because it doesn’t support it, the battery degrades about 5% p.a., Nissan shut their Telematics service down in 2021 (their App never really worked anyway) and map updates could only be done at a dealer at a “you’ve got to be kidding” price.

The Ioniq 6 is apparently the first Hyundai that has true OTA capability. The Ioniq 5 has OTA for infotainment system updates, but not for “firmware” that affect the operation, capabilities or features of the vehicle.

Strange Nav thing happened recently - my work car park, which was saved to my "WORK" favourite in the Nav system as a POI (Tesla maps knew where "Spaghetti Industries Staff Car Park" was located) - suddenly ceased to exist!

I only realised when the car started taking a different route to "WORK" - I zoomed out on the map expecting to see traffic ahead or something, but no - it was taking me to another random car park about 5 km away from my work. Searching manually showed that the only "Spaghetti Industries Staff Car Park" in the system now was the Sydney office.

Weird.

• Funny
Reactions: SPadival