Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our car is definitely on Telstra as it is the only carrier available where we live.

I assume that in Australia, every Telstra SIM would have Optus and Vodafone AU listed as “forbidden” networks on their SIM

Therefore we can assume it must be on Telstra all the time. So we are talking a Telstra network access cost plus some sort of data plan per car (no voice / messaging). Has anyone received a message saying they have used too much data in their car, or is it 'unlimited'. Perhaps they have done a deal for bulk data for the whole fleet.

If Tesla wants to get the best coverage outside of cities then Telstra is it so they can't really shop around for a better deal.

Just wondering how much of the $16.99 per month will be going to Telstra.

eSIMs or physical card SIMs work the same way, the only difference being the eSIM is built fixed into the 3G/4G modem, and its subscriber identity information can be changed/reflashed. So in terms of where or who your contract is with doesn't matter, either will work so long as the carrier supports eSIMs.

The home network could be with anyone, yes it could be Telstra, but it could be with a global IoT SIM provider like Telnyx or any other company offering global solutions. They in turn have contracts with country specific mobile carriers, allowing the home network to be set accordingly.

The mobile network access jungle is far more complex than meets the eye.

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean
Here is a thought.. someone on here mentioned they did a factory reset of their model 3 and after reset it briefly thought it was in Palo Alto. Would that brief moment be enough to let you enable FSD driving visualisation preview?
Who's game to try?

Here is a thought.. someone on here mentioned they did a factory reset of their model 3 and after reset it briefly thought it was in Palo Alto. Would that brief moment be enough to let you enable FSD driving visualisation preview?
Who's game to try?

I have tried a factory reset once and yes it does show the car as in California but as soon as you put it into drive and move it jumps back to Australia. So unless you reset infront of some traffic lights or a stop sign it's going to be hard to see the FSD preview =)

I have tried a factory reset once and yes it does show the car as in California but as soon as you put it into drive and move it jumps back to Australia. So unless you reset infront of some traffic lights or a stop sign it's going to be hard to see the FSD preview =)
I was counting on lazy coding. I am guessing they didn't spend a lot of time on the code to switch it back off if it detected a change.

Just got the 2020.12.10 update this morning here in Aus (approx 960 MB download) - Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview is now available in our neck of the woods in addition to the existing 2020.12.5 features.
Check software update...check software update...check software update....f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5.

considering how excited I was when it first started showing traffic cones I am going to be apoplectic when I get this update ;)

Just got the 2020.12.10 update this morning here in Aus (approx 960 MB download) - Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview is now available in our neck of the woods in addition to the existing 2020.12.5 features.

Me too -and I had to then go to the post office for work. In the short run it picked up:

• Stop signs
  • Traffic lights with the right colour showing
  • Lane end arrows
  • Wheelie bins! (pretty nicely rendered too)

No Give Way signs
No turn lane arrows

There will be other things I did not pass on the short run I suppose.

Last edited:
So we do now have visibility of traffic lights, arrows in lanes, bike lanes, and, most importantly, rubbish bins on the side of the road (yeah, that was meant tongue in cheek - but it's true!). See image:

Rubbish bins:
View media item 121280
Oddly placed vehicle, traffic lights, and turning lane to the right:
View media item 121282
Double turning lane:
View media item 121281

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: moa999
Got 2020.12.10 yesterday. After enabling FSD Visualization (Controls > Autopilot > Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview) these were my observations from a short drive to pick up takeaway lunch.
  1. Traffic lights, and I could see the traffic light colour as I approached the intersection. However, when I stopped up close, the colour of the red light disappeared o_O.
  2. No dual column traffic lights, i.e., no right column for right arrow turning lights.
  3. Displays line across the road at intersections where you're supposed to stop at. Even at roundabouts.
  4. Lane arrow markings on roads.
  5. Wheelie bins and letterboxes on nature strips.
Didn't get to see any STOP signs as there are none around our neighbourhood. GIVE WAY signs were not rendered, however, I did see bicycles from bicycle lane signs, but all you see is a floating bicycle without the signpost :D.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
So we do now have visibility of traffic lights, arrows in lanes, bike lanes, and, most importantly, rubbish bins on the side of the road (yeah, that was meant tongue in cheek - but it's true!). See image:

Rubbish bins:
View media item 121280
Oddly placed vehicle, traffic lights, and turning lane to the right:
View media item 121282
Double turning lane:
View media item 121281

Have you tried looking out the window? You can see all that plus more!
I wont be buying ‘FSD’ for visualisations on the dash.

• Funny
Reactions: Stratman
I am somewhat flabbergasted with the visualisations I have to admit. If they are in any way representative of what the system has learned about its environment and is what it sees, then indeed we have direct evidence that we are years away from FSD. Prerequisites for FSD would be reliable traffic lights detection or even other vehicles two lanes over often jump into the lane next to mine in the visualisation but that's not where they really are.