Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great. Got Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control.
The release notes say “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing your car to a stop when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer. This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights.” [ my emphasis ]

Whaaaat? We’ll now have cars slowing down at green lights for no reason? That’ll go down well with the B-double behind you.

The release notes say “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing your car to a stop when using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer. This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights.” [ my emphasis ]

Whaaaat? We’ll now have cars slowing down at green lights for no reason? That’ll go down well with the B-double behind you.

It’s a beta, it’s not supposed to work well, just not bad. You can confirm that the light is green by tapping the stalk, it will speed up again to the preset limit. Keep in mind however you can no longer have a speed limit higher than what the car thinks it is (sometimes it’s wrong)

Reactions: JohnBNE
So I tried out the lights detection today on Ballarat Rd since its a horribly congested, traffic light filled nightmare with equally angry drivers and honestly, I was reasonably impressed.
Pretty much detected every set of lights well and from a distance, it slowed down to a proper stop and it was easy to just use the gear stalk or put you foot on the accelerator a bit to confirm it. The conditions I tested it in were definitely far from ideal. VicRoad's 'friendly' markings all over the place, lots of traffic and tons of lights. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see it do pretty well.

Although, its not without its flaws, sometimes straight away after a set of lights, it thinks there's ANOTHER set. This can result in some pretty quick braking but it only happened once or twice and I'm sure I'd be improved as updates continue and as the neural network collects more data.

So all in all, yeah its a pretty neat thing.

My Model 3 reported 2020.20.13 as available while driving around today but by the time I got home to WiFi it dropped to 2020.20.12 :(
Do you have FSD?
I am just trying to determine if 20.13 vs 20.12 could be due to FSD.
I have a SR+ with FSD and got 20.13 notification this morning and installed strait away, but I see in Teslafi now that there has been many 20.13 installs and most of the installations seem to be 20.12
It would be interesting to see what your release notes will show

Do you have FSD?
I am just trying to determine if 20.13 vs 20.12 could be due to FSD.
I have a SR+ with FSD and got 20.13 notification this morning and installed strait away, but I see in Teslafi now that there has been many 20.13 installs and most of the installations seem to be 20.12
It would be interesting to see what your release notes will show
Yes I have a performance with FSD

20.12 includes GPS update but not stopping at red lights :(

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Dont know if temporary but in the release notes image posted earlier it in use with standard AP & the two blue guidelines.
The two blue guidelines are shown when Autosteer is active without Navigate on Autopilot, e.g., on city streets. The stop control feature is only available for those that purchased FSD software and FSD hardware.

Got 2020.20.12 yesterday, and it's installing .13 today - quick turnaround! The onramp TACC speed reset was not fixed yet in .12.

On the topic of downloads: Both times the download indicated 100% and then it seemed to take the equal amount of time (and data volume downloaded) for a second download, while sitting at 100% - has anyone else noticed this on their cars?

I had the same experience. I assumed it was due to an error.

Yes I have a performance with FSD

20.12 includes GPS update but not stopping at red lights :(
Then I wouldn't be so disappointed :) 20.13 must have been slowed down due to a huge issue or bug.
Therefore. you are now upgraded to a version that has less bugs or issues compared to what you were initially going to be upgraded too :)
Hence, there is nothing to be be disappointed about:-;)
You will get a better version very soon.

Then I wouldn't be so disappointed :) 20.13 must have been slowed down due to a huge issue or bug.
Therefore. you are now upgraded to a version that has less bugs or issues compared to what you were initially going to be upgraded too :)
Hence, there is nothing to be be disappointed about:-;)
You will get a better version very soon.
Woke up to a 20.13 install, happy days

Reactions: MonicaPlease
So after driving around for a few hours yesterday with 2020.20.13 and turning on the stopping at lights feature I can report:

1) It works incredibly well and, after a while, becomes intuitive in terms of when you can overide the stop and when it will start to strop (they are different distances from the stopping point). You just tap the accelerator and it cancels the upcoming stop - when you see the light is green etc.

2) It treats the entrances to roundabouts as it would stop signs.

3) it is great on model S and X as it gives the warnings of how far away it is going to stop on the binacle. So the wanring is directly in front of the driver. Not sure how good it will be on model 3/Y.

4) On suburban windy streets like we tend to have in Brisbane autopilot itself makes me nervous. That coupled with the red light stopping made things a little unpredictable. I found that putting it in smart cruise control (ie following cars and stopping but not auto steering) instead of full auto pilot (steering too) made the journey much less stressful/' on edge/ intuitive. I imagine on the straights, consistent streets of much of Suburban Melbourne the experience might be quite different.

I am sure that, like when your first use autopilot, it will become more second nature as you drive. And it will learn. Autopilot itself is far better than it was just 6 months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
1) It works incredibly well and, after a while, becomes intuitive in terms of when you can overide the stop and when it will start to strop (they are different distances from the stopping point). You just tap the accelerator and it cancels the upcoming stop - when you see the light is green etc.

There's a video on YT showing how this can be a big danger. If you are stopped and have to ease forward in order to check the road, giving the A/P the go signal makes it accelerate to cruise speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: push2eject