Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021.24.3 has been one of the most disappointing updates for Model S owners in Australia thus far. The only new feature is the ability to save video footage on airbag deployment - it always did that internally anyway and Tesla was able to extract it for a modest fee - post crash. Not sure that's a plus psychologically speaking if all you're coming home with is a USB stick?

Still no
- routing improvements (alternative routes)
- third party chargers
- ANC
- speed camera alerts
- fix to the incomprehensibly unreliable camera based speed limit detection

Also, they're completely feedback resistant by the looks of it. Some of the suggestions they've had for over a year from me (and surely many others) are still waiting to be implemented as well. Simple things, such as:

- TACC stalk operated speed increments/decrements should go to the user selected speed offset. Nah, large change always goes to 0 and 5. If the user offset is +3km/h, this should go 3 and 8 instead. Simples.
- ability to customise the always displayed bottom bar on the MCU. Some usability example problems: I hardly ever use the seat heater, yet every other time I try to adjust the aircon temperature (in dual zone mode), mine or my wife's finger slips onto the seat heater and bam, hot bum if you're not really quick to triple tap on the thing you didn't want to tap on in the first place. If those seat heater icons could be replaced with say, fog lights, then those would actually be within reach when they're needed. But as YMMV, keeping it customisable would keep everyone happy.

Don't care about Disney+, but that's not there either.

Blech.

Reactions: bay74 and Wol747
Oh I've been around the block a few times, not 60 updates, just 40. I was merely judging based on the release notes showing what other countries like China are getting. We really are low priority here unfortunately. I can't even drive with traffic light aware TACC on, it works so poorly. And the chime on green literally has a less than 50/50 chance of getting it right. Driving behind a school bus still results in speed limit of 40 being set (reported that probably about a year ago). We're a small market. FSD won't work here for at least another decade if they keep up the rate of improvement. Which is why it is so important that they implement gradual asssist feature improvements that cost them very little time, but make things tangibly better. Like respecting the user selected speed offset when making large TACC adjustments with the stalk...

Reactions: Wol747
China is very different because the navigation has to be different (they basically block GPS and require a random offset).

Don't think Australia is any different to any other countries.
There are significant differences in signage, LHD/RHD, and road rules which are most definitely country specific. Training neural networks requires a large sample base. This alone will slow down Tesla's ability to train FSD so it works here. Far fewer cars and kms driven = smaller sample size. Add to that the unique and bizarre rules in places like Melbourne which are all but impossible for an infrequent human driver even to follow - and there's your recipe for putting us at the bottom of the rollout priority list.

But yes, things like alternative routings and third party chargers would (should) be a global development and rollout.

There are significant differences in signage, LHD/RHD, and road rules which are most definitely country specific. Training neural networks requires a large sample base. This alone will slow down Tesla's ability to train FSD so it works here. Far fewer cars and kms driven = smaller sample size. Add to that the unique and bizarre rules in places like Melbourne which are all but impossible for an infrequent human driver even to follow - and there's your recipe for putting us at the bottom of the rollout priority list.

But yes, things like alternative routings and third party chargers would (should) be a global development and rollout.
I was just thinking about that actually.
hopefully today at Tesla AI day we will learn a bit about how Neural Networks will help speed up FSD improvements.

- TACC stalk operated speed increments/decrements should go to the user selected speed offset. Nah, large change always goes to 0 and 5. If the user offset is +3km/h, this should go 3 and 8 instead. Simples.

Drove a Model S the other week and the TACC stalk is an absolute pain to use compared to a scrollwheel.
I dont think this an issue exclusive to Tesla either though - BMW has repeatedly cycled between cruise control stalks and cruise controls scrollwheels/thumbwheels. The wheel ones drive way superior even though they keep trying to introduce stalks.

Drove a Model S the other week and the TACC stalk is an absolute pain to use compared to a scrollwheel.
I dont think this an issue exclusive to Tesla either though - BMW has repeatedly cycled between cruise control stalks and cruise controls scrollwheels/thumbwheels. The wheel ones drive way superior even though they keep trying to introduce stalks.
The thing is that stalks do one thing. Scroll wheels that change function are not really suitable for safety critical use IMO.

Reactions: bay74
I dont a tually think it matters. Once you are used to the system it becomes intuitive. I always struggle when I get into hire cars, but all good after a few goes

Driving, much like flying, is a pursuit of precision and accuracy for me. Setting a TACC speed is *never* about just getting the target into the right ballpark, it's about setting an exact speed. Teslas (all of them afaik) hold the set speed with incredible precision, so much so that I am comfortable driving the speed limit +3 km/h, as that results in exactly the speed limit being driven, and places me at a very comfortable speed offset to the surrounding traffic most of the time.

I can't imagine a scroll wheel on the steering wheel being an acceptable solution to setting or adjusting a cruise control speed. Not only is it mounted on a moveable surface (the steering wheel), there's significant danger of scrolling accidentally, and it's next to impossible to move a small (!) scroll wheel by an exact number of increments if that number is greater than probably about 3... if the scroll wheel even has detents that is! The stalk on the other hand at the first detent adjusts the TACC speed by 1 km/h. At the full range detent, it adjusts the speed by 5 km/h. It is very easy to adjust in increments of 1 or 10 km/h from muscle memory alone with this method. This would be very hard with a scroll wheel even if it has detents:

- does each detent move the TACC set speed by 1km/h? Do you then need to count 20 detents to adjust by 20 km/h? How are you staying focused on the road when doing that?
- what if you scroll quickly? Do the numbers suddenly move by more than 1 per detent? If so, how on earth are you nailing the correct speed without this action taking up half of your available road scan focus?
- if the scroll wheel doesn't do fast scrolling, how long does it take you to set the cruise speed from 40 to 110?

The unfortunate tenet that "we're not implementing useful automation features because tomorrow you won't need any of this when the car drives itself" is a cheapskate tactics disguised as naïvité.

I don't have any trouble at all adjusting the speed using the scroll wheel. 1 notch does 1km, a quick scroll adjusts by 5km at a time and if I need to go from 40 to 110 it will be because of a speed limit change and the display will already be showing the 110 symbol so I tap on it and away we go. Either that or I just do a quick tap up on the stalk to knock it out of cruise put my foot down on the accelerator till I'm doing 110 or whatever and then tap the stalk back down to reengage. Takes all of a couple of seconds to perform and I can do it without taking my eyes off the road at all. I have never accidentally scrolled it and my hands move with the steering wheel anyway so knowing its orientation without looking is second nature.

Reactions: moa999
I can't imagine a scroll wheel on the steering wheel being an acceptable solution to setting or adjusting a cruise control speed.
Have you ever driven a Model 3? It sounds like you haven't.

The scroll wheel works very well and is intuitive to use. Move it a small way while on TACC and it will only adjust by 1 km/h. Adjust it a large way and it will adjust by 5 km/h. There is no inbetween. If you want to increase by 3 km/h. Just make three small scrolls up and you are done. It is so easy. I have never ever bumped it accidentally and changed the speed set.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Driving, much like flying, is a pursuit of precision and accuracy for me. Setting a TACC speed is *never* about just getting the target into the right ballpark, it's about setting an exact speed. Teslas (all of them afaik) hold the set speed with incredible precision, so much so that I am comfortable driving the speed limit +3 km/h, as that results in exactly the speed limit being driven, and places me at a very comfortable speed offset to the surrounding traffic most of the time.

I can't imagine a scroll wheel on the steering wheel being an acceptable solution to setting or adjusting a cruise control speed. Not only is it mounted on a moveable surface (the steering wheel), there's significant danger of scrolling accidentally, and it's next to impossible to move a small (!) scroll wheel by an exact number of increments if that number is greater than probably about 3... if the scroll wheel even has detents that is! The stalk on the other hand at the first detent adjusts the TACC speed by 1 km/h. At the full range detent, it adjusts the speed by 5 km/h. It is very easy to adjust in increments of 1 or 10 km/h from muscle memory alone with this method. This would be very hard with a scroll wheel even if it has detents:

- does each detent move the TACC set speed by 1km/h? Do you then need to count 20 detents to adjust by 20 km/h? How are you staying focused on the road when doing that?
- what if you scroll quickly? Do the numbers suddenly move by more than 1 per detent? If so, how on earth are you nailing the correct speed without this action taking up half of your available road scan focus?
- if the scroll wheel doesn't do fast scrolling, how long does it take you to set the cruise speed from 40 to 110?

The unfortunate tenet that "we're not implementing useful automation features because tomorrow you won't need any of this when the car drives itself" is a cheapskate tactics disguised as naïvité.

Absolutely not and my comment right now applies the same way to Tesla as it does to i.e. BMW E46 (4 buttons for cruise control) vs the BMW E90 (stalk).

You dont touch the scrollwheels while turning the wheel. that would be pisspoor design or do you want to change the volume everytime you turn the wheel?
Changing TACC by 1km/h increments is supereasy with the scrollwheel. Scrolling up increases it, scrolling down decreases it. flicking it up increases it by 5 km/h.

The TACC Stalk forces you to j*** off the TACC stalk repetitively which is slower and less comfortable than just using your relaxed hand/arm on the steering wheel. And if you jerk the TACC stalk too hard it goes up by 5km/h. The operation always needs two hands - one on the steering wheel and one on the TACC Stalk.

Reading the detent move - its a scrolling wheel. You just scroll up, its not a problem. Adjusting it up by 20km/h is never needed as it automatically adjusts to the speed limit and I have mine set to +10km/h which is the maximum you can anyway, so its about reducing it by 10km/h which is just a couple of flicks down with my thumb but I generally just have it set 10 over.

The scrollwheels are rasterized, it is not possible to scroll too quickly. And if so you can just just do a flick which puts it on the nearest 0 or 5km/h increment.
I find the comment of road focus strange as using a TACC stalk significantly deters your attention from the road, whereas the thumb wheels (or buttons) do not and can be operated blindly while either having one or both hands on the wheel (if needed). The TACC Stalk does not allow that.

This question has no application in real life as going from a 40 to 110 zone would automatically change the limit to 110.
If it doesnt happen (i.e. because using the non-auto speed limit setting) youd just use your fingers to disengage and reengage AP and it would change to 110 anyway.or you can just touch the speed limit sign on the screen which just sets the TACC value to the current speed limit A feature the TACC Stalk doesnt even have.

The Model 3 design also allows high speed motorway cruising/overtaking as you can swiftly disable and renable the AP while driving fast by just flicking the right hand up and down on the stalk. TACC stalks need to have a seperate action and removal of a hand from the wheel for that. Probably less relevant in Australia due to the general driving behaviour here combined with low speed limits and enforcement but it does still apply in the early morning or late on the bruce highway motorway. With the TACC Stalk its an ordeal because you have to constantly take your hand off the steering wheel to engage it which takes away from the engagement.

TACC stalks are VASTLY inferior to TACC scrollwheels in every way.

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999
Absolutely not and my comment right now applies the same way to Tesla as it does to i.e. BMW E46 (4 buttons for cruise control) vs the BMW E90 (stalk).

You dont touch the scrollwheels while turning the wheel. that would be pisspoor design or do you want to change the volume everytime you turn the wheel?
Changing TACC by 1km/h increments is supereasy with the scrollwheel. Scrolling up increases it, scrolling down decreases it. flicking it up increases it by 5 km/h.

The TACC Stalk forces you to j*** off the TACC stalk repetitively which is slower and less comfortable than just using your relaxed hand/arm on the steering wheel. And if you jerk the TACC stalk too hard it goes up by 5km/h. The operation always needs two hands - one on the steering wheel and one on the TACC Stalk.

Reading the detent move - its a scrolling wheel. You just scroll up, its not a problem. Adjusting it up by 20km/h is never needed as it automatically adjusts to the speed limit and I have mine set to +10km/h which is the maximum you can anyway, so its about reducing it by 10km/h which is just a couple of flicks down with my thumb but I generally just have it set 10 over.

The scrollwheels are rasterized, it is not possible to scroll too quickly. And if so you can just just do a flick which puts it on the nearest 0 or 5km/h increment.
I find the comment of road focus strange as using a TACC stalk significantly deters your attention from the road, whereas the thumb wheels (or buttons) do not and can be operated blindly while either having one or both hands on the wheel (if needed). The TACC Stalk does not allow that.

This question has no application in real life as going from a 40 to 110 zone would automatically change the limit to 110.
If it doesnt happen (i.e. because using the non-auto speed limit setting) youd just use your fingers to disengage and reengage AP and it would change to 110 anyway.or you can just touch the speed limit sign on the screen which just sets the TACC value to the current speed limit A feature the TACC Stalk doesnt even have.

The Model 3 design also allows high speed motorway cruising/overtaking as you can swiftly disable and renable the AP while driving fast by just flicking the right hand up and down on the stalk. TACC stalks need to have a seperate action and removal of a hand from the wheel for that. Probably less relevant in Australia due to the general driving behaviour here combined with low speed limits and enforcement but it does still apply in the early morning or late on the bruce highway motorway. With the TACC Stalk its an ordeal because you have to constantly take your hand off the steering wheel to engage it which takes away from the engagement.

TACC stalks are VASTLY inferior to TACC scrollwheels in every way.
You need longer fingers. No need to take hand off wheel. I’ve used both. Cant say I’m fussed either way. The poor quality of the actual tacc is a bigger issue than how I’ve set it.