Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with the Model3 TACC has been very positive. In 2 years of use, I have only had to take over the wheel 3-4 times and about 6-10 times had to hit the accelerator because of phantom braking (when applying acceleration as soon as it tries to slow down, it usually gets its mistake and resumes normal auto speed :)). I drive on M1 daily and it handles the roadworks and all just beautifully. The lowered speed limit signs do not get automatically read in most occasions, but going back to full speed signs are recognized, so I do need to do a couple of flicks on the scroll wheel when speed limit drops to 80. Makes the commute on motorway so much easier and less tiring, which I believe is the purpose of TACC in its current form.

...and if I need to go from 40 to 110 it will be because of a speed limit change and the display will already be showing the 110 symbol so I tap on it and away we go. Either that or I just do a quick tap up on the stalk to knock it out of cruise put my foot down on the accelerator till I'm doing 110 or whatever and then tap the stalk back down to reengage.

There's a better way: a long-press down on the stalk will re-set the cruise speed to the current detected limit (like tapping on the screen, but you can do it just with the stalk).

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and muddie
My experience with the Model3 TACC has been very positive. In 2 years of use, I have only had to take over the wheel 3-4 times and about 6-10 times had to hit the accelerator because of phantom braking (when applying acceleration as soon as it tries to slow down, it usually gets its mistake and resumes normal auto speed :)). I drive on M1 daily and it handles the roadworks and all just beautifully. The lowered speed limit signs do not get automatically read in most occasions, but going back to full speed signs are recognized, so I do need to do a couple of flicks on the scroll wheel when speed limit drops to 80. Makes the commute on motorway so much easier and less tiring, which I believe is the purpose of TACC in its current form.
Model S i have to take over so many times on each journey its now no longer worth trying. My car behaves like the SA covid nervous premier…slows down just in case.

Very interesting feedback, thanks everyone. I have never driven a 3, that is correct - hence my multiple assumptions on how it might work.

By the sounds of it they have figured out a pretty decent way to use a scroll wheel to adjust TACC speed. I suppose when the now S finally arrives I'll have plenty of time to get used to that...

In terms of AP reliability, those would be roughly equal between the models. Our individual tolerances to slow/delayed/faulty speed limit detections vary of course (mine == 0) which is why being able to move by large speed limit offsets is important with as much road work as they have ongoing all the time.

Sounds like neither stalk nor scroll wheel operation really works well that way.

Totally agree that the TACC scrollwheel is a winner. Never had any problems using it or “mistakes” resulting from it.

Would you believe that before I discovered I could use the scroll wheel to change the set speed, I used to tap the + and - buttons next to the speed limit sign on the screen to change it? 🤣😂

You can set it to % with a maximum of 30%. ie. 78 in 60 or 143 in 110. ;)

not sure if it is an australian/eu spec limitation. But if you set it to i.e. 20% then the maximum is still always just 10km/h.

edit: i have just noticed that you are in Australia. You cannot set the maximum to more than 10km/h unless you are on a dual carriageway. Given that plenty of highways arent dual carriageways in Australia you are hence always stuck with +10km/h max.
While I dont necessarily think that dual lane roads should be driven at i.e. 120km/h, many rural Australian highways fullfill the role of motorways with reduced traffic and are wider with i.e.emergency strips on either side so can and often are driven above 110kmh with slowdown for oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
not sure if it is an australian/eu spec limitation. But if you set it to i.e. 20% then the maximum is still always just 10km/h.

edit: i have just noticed that you are in Australia. You cannot set the maximum to more than 10km/h unless you are on a dual carriageway. Given that plenty of highways arent dual carriageways in Australia you are hence always stuck with +10km/h max.
While I dont necessarily think that dual lane roads should be driven at i.e. 120km/h, many rural Australian highways fullfill the role of motorways with reduced traffic and are wider with i.e.emergency strips on either side so can and often are driven above 110kmh with slowdown for oncoming traffic.

Ah, may only allow the full 30% on city streets in TACC then. May have to test again myself. Personally, I have it at +5km/h.

It'd be good if you could set a default (eg. 0 or +5) and still have the ability to roll up to +10 in AP.

Interesting. Do you currently have 24.3? That was rolled out a couple of days ago.
Yes currently on 24.3 Screenshot_20210822-223754.png

I've been quite busy and haven't had a chance to call Tesla Support. Was anyone with a 8A tail able to purchase just the 10A tail without having to buy the complete mobile charger again? And $$?
So, I visited Tesla service center today and I asked about the 10A and 15A tails for the charger. They said that you can purchase the whole charger kit that comes with those new tails, but cannot purchase the tails separately. They said the new tails come with slightly upgraded charger hardware and firmware that allows this and the new tails would not allow higher charging speed on old charger.
I don't think I believe them, as my old charger also came with caravan tail that charges just fine at 16A from the old charger, so the old hardware is capable of those charging speeds just fine, unless they don't have firmware for the older model for detecting newer tails?

May or may not have been me. My car is 04/21 build so don’t know if mines the new or old UMC but my tails say 10a and 15a and have recently increased to these rates when charging after the last software update. Agree with cafz on this one, I use a 32a tail daily so what different hardware would be needed for LESS charging rate?
sounds like BS from the SC

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999