Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to be a little careful with apportioning blame without being able to see under the hood. TACC slowdowns are often triggered by objects the car sees that then turn out not to be there. Unless you can see the speed limit AND the TACC set speed change, it is perfectly unclear to the unwashed what the actual cause of the slowdown is.
Disagree!

If the Speed Limit and TACC Max speed both changed, it would make sense. Car detects a speed limit change and slows accordingly (although we already know it won't currently do this on a motorway).

If neither the Speed Limit nor the TACC Max speed change, it also makes some sense. The car thinks it has detected an obstacle and slows down to avoid a collision. This happens under normal conditions when you come up behind a slower car. It also happens under phantom braking conditions but only because the car "thinks" there is an obstacle. Bloody annoying but there is at least some logic behind it - just poor detection.

To change the TACC Max speed (and leave it changed) when there is neither a perceived obstacle nor a speed limit change is just plain wrong and there is no logic to it. Clearly it is a bug that was mostly likely introduced with 2021.36.5.n as it did not occur prior to that.

You have to be a little careful with apportioning blame without being able to see under the hood. TACC slowdowns are often triggered by objects the car sees that then turn out not to be there. Unless you can see the speed limit AND the TACC set speed change, it is perfectly unclear to the unwashed what the actual cause of the slowdown is.

An MCU reboot will achieve nothing in this case. The MCU is purely for user input and user interface. Try rebooting the car while driving on autopilot. Works a charm (and my wife hates it) but AP doesn't even disconnect.

Tesla engineers were smarter than to put core logic within reach of anything UI and let spotify lock up your car...
In most cases I agree about being cautious about laying blame, but in this case I can clearly see that the set speed in the car changes to 70 or 80 at the locations where there is no change in speed. The TACC will continue showing the speed limit at 100 but changes visibly the set speed to 70 or 80 for me. and then starts slowing down to that set speed. This behavior started as atj777 stated with 2021.36.5.5 and persisted though 2021.36.5.6 and 2021.36.5.8 and did not happen before those updates.

The MCU reboot was in reference to that unwanted rainbow road audio that would not stop playing, and I wish I had thought of it, that might have saved me from having to stop on the motorway.

Reactions: paulp
I'm very interested in this. I have 2021.40.6. However, unlike you guys, my car has NEVER changed speed once I set TACC. If the speed limit changes, it will beep at me but the car speed remains unchanged. This is true "around town" as well as on the highway/freeway. So is it because you have FSD that TACC changes the speed?

I have had the displayed max/set speed change occasionally to odd values, but unlike you, TACC does nothing about it (other than beep if I am over the new detected speed).

Maybe I missed some obscure setting in the setup? Or maybe the speed only changes if you have FSD?

I'm very interested in this. I have 2021.40.6. However, unlike you guys, my car has NEVER changed speed once I set TACC. If the speed limit changes, it will beep at me but the car speed remains unchanged. This is true "around town" as well as on the highway/freeway. So is it because you have FSD that TACC changes the speed?

I have had the displayed max/set speed change occasionally to odd values, but unlike you, TACC does nothing about it (other than beep if I am over the new detected speed).

Maybe I missed some obscure setting in the setup? Or maybe the speed only changes if you have FSD?
I’ve has it happen a few times with my non fsd model s. The phantom braking is more regular though.

Thanks atj777. Mine slows for bends and traffic in front. Has NEVER changed speed to match a newly detected speed limit. However I'm going for about 800km trip starting Thursday with 2021.40.6 so will closely observe behaviour. Will also keep an eye on the passing exit business. I read up in the manual that TACC will slow if you put on your left indicator when approaching a freeway exit but shouldn't otherwise react unless traffic merging.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I think I can shed some light on this. I have 2021.36.5.8 in my M3P. Last week I took the eastbound exit off the M4 onto Homebush Bay Drive. I had LACC engaged at 90km/h and as soon as I started to head up the exit ramp, the LACC set speed changed all by itself to 80 and the car slowed down. A couple of seconds later it dropped to 70, then 60 and so on. It would appear that the car is trying to automatically slow you down smoothly from the motorway speed to the exit speed. My guess is that what you were experiencing was because the exit you were going past starts too close to the motorway centreline in the underlying map data so the car thought you were taking the exit rather than continuing on the motorway.

Reactions: cafz
Same this end.
The waypoints has a nice feature telling arrival SOC at each individual waypoint from departure point now instead of just the next. This is great IMO.
EADAB707-783E-4BBF-B6F0-6F7E6E8F00E6.jpeg

Hi all,

I think I can shed some light on this. I have 2021.36.5.8 in my M3P. Last week I took the eastbound exit off the M4 onto Homebush Bay Drive. I had LACC engaged at 90km/h and as soon as I started to head up the exit ramp, the LACC set speed changed all by itself to 80 and the car slowed down. A couple of seconds later it dropped to 70, then 60 and so on. It would appear that the car is trying to automatically slow you down smoothly from the motorway speed to the exit speed. My guess is that what you were experiencing was because the exit you were going past starts too close to the motorway centreline in the underlying map data so the car thought you were taking the exit rather than continuing on the motorway.
But.. and this is a big BUT... did the speed limit on the display change as well?

I, too, have seen this same behaviour but the speed limit on the display changes with the TACC Max speed.

The issues I have been having the speed limit on the display does not change. Also, the first time it occurred I was in the right hand lane of 4 lanes and the left hand lane was the exit lane. i.e. I was three lanes away from the exit lane. The visualisation on the display showed me in the right lane.

I got 2021.40.6 this morning so I'll see if that fixes things.

But.. and this is a big BUT... did the speed limit on the display change as well?

I, too, have seen this same behaviour but the speed limit on the display changes with the TACC Max speed.
When I've seen this behaviour at exits, the speed limit doesn't change (which makes sense, because it hasn't seen a different speed sign yet) but the TACC set speed changes down, in 10km/h increments.

When I've seen this behaviour at exits, the speed limit doesn't change (which makes sense, because it hasn't seen a different speed sign yet) but the TACC set speed changes down, in 10km/h increments.
At the exits I have experienced this and I don't mind this at the exits, however at the exits it usually drops 10km/h at a time, where while driving on motorway it appears to change the set speed by 20-30km/h at a time that is way more annoying. Also here in QLD near Robina on M1, it appears to do this in 2 locations that do not have an exit, as the exit was moved during roadworks a couple of year back, so it does it on just straight road and keeps displaying the right speed limit while dropping the set speed by 30 in one location and by 20 in the other. I haven't had a chance to test it since 2021.40.6 update, but I really hope they have addressed the issue.

I’m experiencing the exact same issue consistently at two spots on a new section of the highway up on the Sunshine Coast. My suspicion is that it is a mapping issue though and not tied to a specific software version. This particular section of road has just recently undergone a major upgrade with new lanes and exits and overpasses etc. And the two sections it does it on are sections that used to be side roads.
pin my case there are no nearby exits. I am just cruising along at 110 and all of a sudden in slows down to 90. The speed icon still stays at 110 but he blue TACC icon goes down to 90 and the car slows very quickly. It happens every time I go through those two spots so I am expecting it now and have my foot ready to press the accelerator (I also make sure no one is too close behind me).
Because it happens at those spots that used to be side roads, and not near exits, I assume that it has to do with the GPS telling the car that it is on a side road.

I too got 2021.40.6 this morning but am not going to be travelling that bit of road again until Thursday so will report back anything I find then but like I said, I suspect i will need to wait for an updated maps data set that has the new freeway layout included before my particular issue is solved.

This autopilot speed change has been annoying me with 2021.36.5.x also. I've just updated to 40.6 and the behaviour is still there. There are no NoA enabled roads here in Tassie, so what I'm seeing has nothing to do with motorway exits and the like. While on autopilot, it just mysteriously changes the speed limit from 100 to 80 in various consistent places on the highway, with no speed signs in sight. When it first started doing this I thought it must have seen a speed sign on a bus or a truck or something, but now I'm sure this is not the case. It sure must seem weird for following vehicles.

Another frustration that has been around ever since speed-sign recognition, is that when the road is multi-lane and/or has a solid divider, the speed limit does not propagate through to the TACC/autopilot speed, whether the speed limit change is due to a real sign, map data, or this new mysterious thing - whatever it is. I find this quite annoying, as it means I sometimes end up with autopilot trying to do 100 in an 80 zone, and it will happily speed into 40km/h construction zones at 100km/h if there is a centre road barrier (in the map data I guess).

And so now, as well as trying to do 100 in 80 zones, it often tries to do 80 in 100 zones. Which is almost worse, as you can't override the incorrectly-low speed "limit" without constantly pushing the accelerator, which then gives constant warnings implying that emergency braking is disabled.

Definitely one of the more frustrating aspects of the car - not being able to trust the TACC speed much at all.

Last edited: