Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And so now, as well as trying to do 100 in 80 zones, it often tries to do 80 in 100 zones. Which is almost worse, as you can't override the incorrectly-low speed "limit" without constantly pushing the accelerator, which then gives constant warnings implying that emergency braking is disabled.
If you give the right hand scroll wheel a flick, it'll adjust the TACC setpoint to the next 5km/h multiple, so you can pretty quickly adjust it where you want it.

Which is almost worse, as you can't override the incorrectly-low speed "limit" without constantly pushing the accelerator, which then gives constant warnings implying that emergency braking is disabled.
It is not that emergency braking is disable but rather you have overridden the TACC with your foot on the accelerator. i.e. you are now controlling the speed rather than the car. If you come up behind something, the car won't automatically slow as it would if you didn't have your foot on the accelerator.

I’m experiencing the exact same issue consistently at two spots on a new section of the highway up on the Sunshine Coast. My suspicion is that it is a mapping issue though and not tied to a specific software version. This particular section of road has just recently undergone a major upgrade with new lanes and exits and overpasses etc. And the two sections it does it on are sections that used to be side roads.
pin my case there are no nearby exits. I am just cruising along at 110 and all of a sudden in slows down to 90. The speed icon still stays at 110 but he blue TACC icon goes down to 90 and the car slows very quickly. It happens every time I go through those two spots so I am expecting it now and have my foot ready to press the accelerator (I also make sure no one is too close behind me).
Because it happens at those spots that used to be side roads, and not near exits, I assume that it has to do with the GPS telling the car that it is on a side road.

I too got 2021.40.6 this morning but am not going to be travelling that bit of road again until Thursday so will report back anything I find then but like I said, I suspect i will need to wait for an updated maps data set that has the new freeway layout included before my particular issue is solved.
Following up on this. I drove through that area today for the first time since the 2021.40.6 update and in the first spot it normally happens it didn’t break at all. Interestingly though this time the speed sign changed to 60 and just started pulsing to show I was going over the speed limit but the TACC blue ring stayed on 110 and it didn’t break at all. Then in the second place it normally happens it did let off the speed for half a second but then went back to normal with no intervention from me. It wasn’t even a hard break for a second. Just a slight slow down and then back to normal. So for me at least in the place I consistently see phantom braking 2021.40.6 does seem markedly better.

Following up on this. I drove through that area today for the first time since the 2021.40.6 update and in the first spot it normally happens it didn’t break at all. Interestingly though this time the speed sign changed to 60 and just started pulsing to show I was going over the speed limit but the TACC blue ring stayed on 110 and it didn’t break at all. Then in the second place it normally happens it did let off the speed for half a second but then went back to normal with no intervention from me. It wasn’t even a hard break for a second. Just a slight slow down and then back to normal. So for me at least in the place I consistently see phantom braking 2021.40.6 does seem markedly better.
I second that experience, since updating to 2021.40.6, my car no longer slowed down on M1 on TACC in the 2 places it did with 2021.36.5.X software. So its back to its usual sit on TACC while driving for me :)

I have 2021.40.6 and it has NEVER (for me) changed speed whilst on TACC other than coming up on slower cars! I have just completed two trips in the country totalling 1,500km and TACC never once changed speed- drove mostly on TACC. Of course there were a number of times the car incorrectly detected the speed sign and having it go from 100km/hr to 40 when no 40 could have been rather nasty. So, I do not know why it never changes speed (the blue circled speed stays the same even when the red speed sign to the left changes up/down). But overall it is probably;ly easier driving with TACC as it is and manually using the thumbwheel to up/down speed when the zone changes or there is roadwork until sign recognition and maps get a lot better.

I can confirm that I am still seeing the problem on 2021.40.6 - it happened to me on Friday.

It has now happened 5 or 6 times. Most of those were on 2021.36.5.n and once on 40.6. It has never happened more than once at the same place but when it has happened it has happened after passing an exit.

I was wrong about the true exit behaviour. The last few times I went from M4 to M7 and M7 to M5 I watched closely what happens. No matter what the TACC MAX is set to, after taking the exit (and actually going quite a long way into the exit) the TACC MAX drops to 90 even though the speed limit on the display is higher than that. Next the speed limit on the display changes to 80 and the TACC MAX drops to 80. As I approach the next motorway, the TACC MAX increases to 90 even though the displayed speed limit is still 80. Then the displayed speed limit changes to 100 and the TACC MAX is set to whatever it was before leaving the previous motorway.

Based on the above observations, when the problem occurs, it does indeed appear it mistakenly assumes I took the exit even though all the visualisation shows I'm still on the motorway and I'm quite some way away from the exit. In fact, on Friday, I was in the centre lane and changing to the right lane to overtake when it dropped the TACC MAX to 90.

I don't understand why thinks I'm taking an exit when I'm not. I don't believe it is a mapping error or it would happen at the same place each time. Perhaps it is GPS inaccuracy due to cloud cover but it does seem a bit weird to rely on GPS to determine if you've taken an exit.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
Happened to me also today again on 2021.40.6. I was passing a car on M1. I was in 3rd lane doing 101km/h on TACC and Autosteering Beta and at the same time I passed a car went past exit 77 and suddenly my set speed dropped to 60 and car started slowing rather quick. The speed limit still showed 100. I was just about to merge in front of the car I was passing but was lucky I had not started indicating as he shot past me rather quickly when my car slowed. Since I drive past that location daily, it does not appear to be consistently happening there, just once so far since updating to 2021.40.6, but is is very annoying and could be dangerous, specially speed drop by 40km/h in the centre lane of motorway. I hope they are aware of this issue and are looking into it.