Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would also assume we need a hardware update to be 5G compatible.

The modem IS the hardware.

Iā€™m not sure what benefits 5G would bringā€¦ software updates are downloaded when Iā€™m asleep. So in the same way that I donā€™t care my car is taking a couple of hours to charge because Iā€™m sleeping, I equally donā€™t care whether the latest update takes 2 minutes to download or 30 seconds to download because Iā€™m sleeping. Especially when it then takes 25 minutes to install it. Makes no practical difference.

And 5G makes no difference to any other service the car runs (Netflix HD streaming is a few Mbps - 4G does that without breaking sweat). And for uplink services (e.g sentry cam streaming, if we ever get it), 5G isnā€™t any better than 4G.

šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm sure at some point Tesla will switch to a 4G/5G modem but agree it's not needed now.

Telstra currently has 3G shutdown as mid-2024 (and historically probably extended). 2G shutdown was 2016.. so 4G is probably early 2030s.

Tesla used a 2G/3G modem until 2015 in Model S, and had an upgrade for these cars of about US$500

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I'm sure at some point Tesla will switch to a 4G/5G modem but agree it's not needed now.

Telstra currently has 3G shutdown as mid-2024 (and historically probably extended). 2G shutdown was 2016.. so 4G is probably early 2030s.

Tesla used a 2G/3G modem until 2015 in Model S, and had an upgrade for these cars of about US$500

3G was pretty crap for data - when it first came out in 2003 (remember the old ā€œthreeā€ network??), the 3G technology roadmap went all the way to 2 Mbps but 50 kbps was normal. Heady stuff.

4G finally delivered what 3G promised. And over the years, 4G had new capabilities added that now make speeds of over 100 Mbps commonplace. Thatā€™s plenty good enough for most applications.

Our LEAFā€˜s original telematics modem was 2G and we used to get the ā€œbzzt bzzt bzztā€ noises in the radio when it connected. In 2017, a few months after Telstra closed 2G down, Nissan upgraded the TMU to 3G (physical hardware change) under warranty. Now 3G is closing in a couple of years but it doesnā€™t matter - Nissan shut down their LEAF telematics service in September šŸ¤£

The modem IS the hardware.

Iā€™m not sure what benefits 5G would bringā€¦ software updates are downloaded when Iā€™m asleep. So in the same way that I donā€™t care my car is taking a couple of hours to charge because Iā€™m sleeping, I equally donā€™t care whether the latest update takes 2 minutes to download or 30 seconds to download because Iā€™m sleeping. Especially when it then takes 25 minutes to install it. Makes no practical difference.

And 5G makes no difference to any other service the car runs (Netflix HD streaming is a few Mbps - 4G does that without breaking sweat). And for uplink services (e.g sentry cam streaming, if we ever get it), 5G isnā€™t any better than 4G.

šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Completely agree. I would hazard a guess that the OP to the question in this thread was discovering if there was any new improvements with the existing modem.

5G would be a great addition, whilst it's not needed now, future media content like sentry streaming would certainly benefit from having it. Plus who would say no to having 5G network to the car.

So did I, but Iā€™m not installing it until the other beta testers here report what things it has broken. I usually sit out a few updates until one turns up that breaks less than usual.
Do you normally do a public service announcement once you're comfortable enough to install a new release?

Early on in my career I had change control drilled into me and I'm happy not being an early adopter with new software releases on hardware that I've paid for myself.

3G was pretty crap for data - when it first came out in 2003 (remember the old ā€œthreeā€ network??), the 3G technology roadmap went all the way to 2 Mbps but 50 kbps was normal. Heady stuff.
Telsta's 3G HSDPA network launched at 7Mbps in 2006, went to 14Mpbs in 2007 and 21Mbps in 2008. My memory was that this was the first truly usable mobile internet.

I hate the new interface! Sure it is neat and clean but most things are more difficult now and cause more distraction from the road.

The warning messages are a complete joke now. It was hard enough when the were in the middle of the visualisation screen but down the bottom I can't even see them and reading them is nearly impossible (for me).

Reactions: bay74
I hate the new interface! Sure it is neat and clean but most things are more difficult now and cause more distraction from the road.

The warning messages are a complete joke now. It was hard enough when the were in the middle of the visualisation screen but down the bottom I can't even see them and reading them is nearly impossible (for me).

I agree. The new interface is pretty bad. hate the color icons, specially at night. like the functionality of being able to move or replace icons but I want the old icons back. Changes to autopilot icon means that it takes a second to make sure that TACC / AP is on. swiping to see the TPMS readings meant that I could check them pretty quickly (before the first drive everyday.. as a habit) now takes longer, not a whole lot but I don't like that Tesla engineers changed it for the f of it.

Improvements to Waypoints are good. Before, you had to enter them in reverse order, starting from the destination end. Now, you can easily move them around and delete them just like in ABRP. Big improvement.

However, as others have pointed out, plenty of backwards steps moving some things down a menu level or two. Yes, customisation is nice but very few icons possible.

Reactions: race4life81
I think it was evidently all designed for FSD commuting. Cause even things like the speed are now less prominent, probably not a issue for California, but Victoria speed cameras are a bit more enforced.

And the driver profiles being moved is a weird one.

Don't be a whinger mate. You'll get/keep a reputation.

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc and Ramphex
However, as others have pointed out, plenty of backwards steps moving some things down a menu level or two. Yes, customisation is nice but very few icons possible.

Well hopefully this is just the first step and that Tesla adds more icons to its toolbox in subsequent updates so that one can configure the UI to oneā€™s liking, adding single tap buttons for stuff you want to access quickly/frequently. People have asked for this.

A glovebox icon would be nice.

Reactions: m4rtin
Does anyone open the glovebox enough for it to be 1 in 4 buttons (or even 1 in 6 if extended)..

Anyhow just put my car to bed.. on Advanced and still no update at 7pm on Boxing Day.
Obviously on Elon's naught list.
I was on the very good list last update. Recieved it days before others on here. Now Iā€™m on the list you are on. The wonders of tesla updates.

Reactions: moa999

I have mixed feelings about this update. I like the looks of it, however it is way less useful and way more of a distraction when driving. All the things that were useful and most of the times on the screen or one touch away now take multiple touches and require attention to get to and reading of menus.
Turns out I missed a days worth of recording cameras around the car as the icon is no longer visible on main screen and when the USB stick needs to be reset (unplugged and re-plugged, that happens 2-3 times a week for me) I did not notice it for a whole day until I wanted to review some footage from a strangely behaving car, when I saw it had not been recording. That also means the sentry was not working when I went to shops and so on. There appears to be no errors or warnings showing on the main screen if things like USB needs attention. The speed limit and set speed issues are still there though. My music that I keep usually as small part on screen to see what song is playing appears to randomly hide itself when I use navigation, which is kind of annoying having to go through multiple touches to get it back to the right format.
I suspect this updates UI was designed by someone who went for good looks instead of usability or usefulness and in a car, that probably is not the best approach at least as long as the driver still needs to pay attention to the road and traffic.

Reactions: doggy1