Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an interesting change to TACC yesterday.

I have TACC Max speed set to 5km > speed limit. I was travelling north on the M7 towards the M5 at Eastern Creek. TACC Max was set to 105km/h. I left TACC on as I took the slip road to the M5 westbound. As usual, the TACC Max speed dropped to 90km/h while I was on the slip road. When I got to the M5 it set the TACC Max speed back to 105km/h. This is what I have usually seen.

What was different this time was when I go to the speed limit change gantry where the speed limit changes to 110km/h, TACC automatically increased the Max speed to 115km/h. It has never done that before and usually only does it if I hold the lever down.

It didn't slow when the speed limit changed to 90km/h at Russell Street, nor at the change to 70km/h at the Lapstone exit.
If I understand properly what you are saying, this is how my LR has behaved since I got it in September. I have found my TACC behavior different from what others have reported. To summarise, I have seen the Speed Max change pretty much per the signs and speed areas but the actual speed maintained by the car has remained at that which I last selected. So, if the Speed Max drops from 110 to 90, the car beeps at me to say exceeding the speed limit but it carries on at the previous speed. Likewise when the speed limit goes up, the TACC does not increase speed. As a negative I have been frustrated that the TACC does not change speed according to the limits as other cars do. As a plus it means I have not had weird slowing down or speeding up when signs have been misread.

If I understand properly what you are saying, this is how my LR has behaved since I got it in September. I have found my TACC behavior different from what others have reported. To summarise, I have seen the Speed Max change pretty much per the signs and speed areas but the actual speed maintained by the car has remained at that which I last selected. So, if the Speed Max drops from 110 to 90, the car beeps at me to say exceeding the speed limit but it carries on at the previous speed. Likewise when the speed limit goes up, the TACC does not increase speed. As a negative I have been frustrated that the TACC does not change speed according to the limits as other cars do. As a plus it means I have not had weird slowing down or speeding up when signs have been misread.
I don't think you aren't understanding what I am saying.

The car displays three speeds:
* On the left is the current speed limit for the road you are travelling (which the car gets from the cameras or maps)
* To the right of that is the TACC Max speed - this is the speed that TACC will attempt to drive at but may be slower due to traffic in front or going around corners
* on the very right is the current speed the car is travelling at.

Up until yesterday, my TACC Max speed has only ever changed automatically on exit ramps and slip roads. However, yesterday the TACC Max speed increased from 105 to 115km/h when the speed limit of the road changed from 100 to 110km/h.

How is that possible, do you never drive long trips etc? What about holidays? I don’t think anybody relies on the SC network for daily charging but surely it’s great for long trips. That’s the best thing about Tesla and what pushed me towards them.
No I dont drive on long trips. I fly. Really detest the idea of spending all day in a car when I could already be at my destination either relaxing or exploring.
The point I was wanting to make is that the supercharger network isnt a selling feature for all, just as wild acceleration isnt a selling feature for all or FSD A selling feature for all.

Yep, not for me. The charge screen is just a basic white screen with only start/stop, amp selection and scheduled charging with no graphic or way to set a charge limit and start charging. Phone is the only way I can do it currently.

Hi @bradjc … seems the graphic of the X has now all of a sudden appeared with the slider….

287AE67D-E8B4-4E1B-922C-D025CE63AE85.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
Well, this might seem a little extreme, but here’s my reaction to the Holiday Update, where they’ve “improved” the UI.
A little context: I absolutely hate when software is changed for the sake of change, with no real benefit.

If it is a genuine attempt to improve it, I can cop that. But when they make it more convoluted & time consuming to use simple, yet essential functions, then I get agro.

IMO the holiday update is a half arsed attempt to rush something out by a particular date, coz they did last year, & it’s kind of expected now.

My particular gripes are with the Tripmeters, Tyre Pressure, & Fan Speed changes, along with Driver Profile changes, & Speedo becoming smaller, & harder to read.
The first 2 just worked, with the cards on the lower right of the screen. The fan speed had + & - buttons previously, but now that has been deemed to need to be more “simple” to use.

Well, they just are not, by any measure. You didn’t have to have the trip meter & tyre pressure cards showing previously, so why to they now have to be buried under a sub menu now?
Same with the fan speed adjustment. Worked well before. Less so now, for no benefit.
Making the speed readout smaller, & a less visible font, achieves what? Only a little harder to see by those oldies who can best afford the car….

I bought my Model 3 Long Range in October 2021, & there’s been 3 or 4 small software downloads, which all seemed to make it a little better.
Then the Holiday Update.
Based on previous experience, I just downloaded & installed it without researching it first.

Big Mistake.
Even Bjorn Nyland has a less than flattering opinion of this update.

So here’s what I plan to do in future:

1. Never accept even the smallest software update at face value (check it out via YouTube etc first. Tesla Tom does dine reviews)
2. I won’t be giving Tesla another AUD 3000 for the Acceleration Update (probably….)
3. And as sure as God Made Little Green Apples, I won’t be giving Tesla AUD 10100 for FSD (definitely)

A little context: 31/12 I test drove a Polestar 2 with Google Auto software.
Had another drive on 07/01.
What a revelation! Voice Commands all worked. Wiper stalk on the wheel. Indicator stalk that works the same as every other car, ever. A gauge cluster in front of the driver. Blind spot indicators in the relevant mirror, instead of looking in the other direction (& down), to see if there’s a car on your right….
I truly do love my Model 3 Long Range, but if adding to the fleet, it will be a Polestar 2, rather than another Tesla.
Yep, the ultimate in first world problems, but backward software steps take the shine off it for me.
And childish light shows & games instead of fixing genuine UI matters? You’re losing me…..
I agree with some of your comments, it does appear as though they pushed it out fast without listening to feedback, a lot of your comments resonate with me, especially shifting useful things like TPM (not 100% bothered about the other things you mentioned but they are buried and relatively useless). I actually don't mind the speedo location and size and the blind spot camera is clever but largely useless to me anyway. I have my mirrors set so my blind spot is practically zero and I look by turning my head (I even do this when reversing!!!). Always have, always will because I'm old school. I have learned to check the camera too, but it's definitely not second nature and I can't see it becoming as I drive many other cars. I'd be the same with a thing in the mirror, though it would be more likely to catch my attention. I too don't really care about games, but, like the light show which I think is cool, it's unique to Tesla and their personality. I think this is one of the drawcards in a world of what has become attack of the clones. I love the think different concept and think that it's inevitable that there will be times when these things will miss.
As for the Polestar, not my thing, I have an M3P. I love the minimalist interior of the M3. It's amazing. Would I make changes? Sure. A HUD on the back of the steering column and probably blind spot monitor on the mirrors, along with the option to adjust how much regen braking I get. But 23 extra screens (minor exaggeration) littering the dashboard? Nah. Leave that to Merc.

No I dont drive on long trips. I fly. Really detest the idea of spending all day in a car when I could already be at my destination either relaxing or exploring.
The point I was wanting to make is that the supercharger network isnt a selling feature for all, just as wild acceleration isnt a selling feature for all or FSD A selling feature for all.
Fair enough.

The car displays three speeds:
* On the left is the current speed limit for the road you are travelling (which the car gets from the cameras or maps)
* To the right of that is the TACC Max speed - this is the speed that TACC will attempt to drive at but may be slower due to traffic in front or going around corners
* on the very right is the current speed the car is travelling at.
Well, on mine, The TACCmax changes with the speed signs, speed zones etc. However, when driving with TACC enabled, the car takes no notice at all if the TACCmax speed changes after that. It remains firmly stuck at the TACCmax from the very first time that I engaged TACC. Yes, the car does slow for traffic in front, but it never changes the set cruise speed. It has done this from day 1 and I do not think this is how most others' cars behave. Sounds as if I misunderstood what you were saying and my "excitement" at finally finding someone else whose car does the same has evaporated.

One thing I noticed with the newer update without release notes is that Autopilot nag seems to be happening way more frequently. Kinda annoying on longer trips of highway where it's asking almost every 30 seconds to move the wheel despite the road being straight and clear.
Couldn’t agree more with this, it’s become irritating. I can struggle to find a spot on the wheel that can keep it happy some days. Didn’t things my arms were that small! 😂

The TACCmax changes with the speed signs, speed zones etc.
With TACC disabled, the TACC Max displays the speed limit is (plus 5km/h because that's what I have set) OR my current speed, whichever is faster.
However, when driving with TACC enabled, the car takes no notice at all if the TACCmax speed changes after that. It remains firmly stuck at the TACCmax from the very first time that I engaged TACC.
With TACC enabled, the TACC Max doesn't change except:
* on exit ramps and slip roads (and the bug where it thought I was on an exit when I wasn't)
* This one time when it went from 105 to 115 when the speed limit changed
* I change it manually with either the right thumb wheel or long press on the right lever to have it adjust to the current speed limit.

Reactions: doggy1

I don't drive very long trips but half a day trips I do sometimes and they require charging on the way (M3SR+ does not give much range with Australian distances). So far I have not had any that have had a Tesla charger on route or near where I need them, so I use ChargeFox or Evie or the Electric Highway ones. In Australia (or at least Queensland) the Tesla superchargers are rather rare and far apart with most in high population areas and not on the way, so not much of a selling point.

One thing I noticed with the newer update without release notes is that Autopilot nag seems to be happening way more frequently. Kinda annoying on longer trips of highway where it's asking almost every 30 seconds to move the wheel despite the road being straight and clear.

You are lucky if its every 30 sec. For me on main motorways it is about 30 sec, but on most highways in QLD I have been getting nagged every 10-15 sec. That is so annoying if you are on an empty road with no other cars, straight road with 100 speed limit going for kilometers with nothing else on sight and then every 12-13 sec you get the nag.
Really wish there was an option to get that changed to same nag as main motorways as after a while, you just turn off the auto steering as the road is straight and this way can let go of the steering for minutes at a time without nag.

Reactions: paulp
Hi @bradjc … seems the graphic of the X has now all of a sudden appeared with the slider….

View attachment 753897

Ha, that's funny. Did you get an update for it to change? So weird. Do you guys have connection problems, ie connecting to the vehicle via the app? My app will only connect if the car is charging or was awake for some reason. Has been like that since I had installed back in July. I'm thinking the MCU2 updated software needs some attention...

The problem with a non Tesla is the charging network, no matter the brand. You can’t beat the tesla supercharging network.

Well actually, you can:
  • Evie and Chargefox often have their chargers in better locations (lots of amenities nearby). SC’s are often in quite crappy locations. Maybe the rent is cheap.
  • Evie and Chargefox have 350 kW chargers. Tesla is mostly 120 kW, only a few V3s rolled out so far. Model 3 can charge at up to 180 kW.
I use Tesla SC’s if conveniently located, but am a big fan of ChargeFox and Evie.

Ha, that's funny. Did you get an update for it to change? So weird. Do you guys have connection problems, ie connecting to the vehicle via the app? My app will only connect if the car is charging or was awake for some reason. Has been like that since I had installed back in July. I'm thinking the MCU2 updated software needs some attention...

Yes, car updated (and my wife's X) updated to 2021.44.30 and I guess the graphic could have appeared after that...I didn't take too much notice sorry.

In terms of connecting to the car, yes both my car (Model 3P) and my wife's car often just sit there with connecting, connecting, connecting...really frustrating.....also since I'm in IT I have WiFi AP's all over the the place including right next to the cars....I've tried to creating a new SSID with different options (passwords, 2.4Ghz only, 5Ghz only etc. etc.) to no avail....so I know it's not a connection/strength issue.

We also have another frustrating occurance, when charging (which we do from solar often, well like 99% of the time during summer) we will change then AMPs on the car accordingly however the car sort of locks in on a AMP range and then if the sun starts shining more I am unable to increase the AMPs without stopping charging and then upping the AMPs and start charging again...a real piss off and happens all the bloody time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bradjc
We also have another frustrating occurance, when charging (which we do from solar often, well like 99% of the time during summer) we will change then AMPs on the car accordingly however the car sort of locks in on a AMP range and then if the sun starts shining more I am unable to increase the AMPs without stopping charging and then upping the AMPs and start charging again...a real piss off and happens all the bloody time.
I charge both my EVs from excess solar nearly all the time. When I do, the EVSE continually changes the Pilot signal (which signifies the max Amps). The car faithfully follows this max Pilot (I monitor on TeslaMate). However, if I have the Tesla App open at the same time, something goes wrong and the charging level goes all over the place. It looks like the phone App is fighting the EVSE. So, I always charge using excess solar with the Tesla App well and truly OFF. However, if I set the Pilot level in the EVSE to a fixed value, the car and App both behave sensibly and charge at that level but allow me to decrease the amps below the EVSE setting either from the car or from the App..
Not sure if this helps you.....

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
You are lucky if its every 30 sec. For me on main motorways it is about 30 sec, but on most highways in QLD I have been getting nagged every 10-15 sec. That is so annoying if you are on an empty road with no other cars, straight road with 100 speed limit going for kilometers with nothing else on sight and then every 12-13 sec you get the nag.

It could well be this often. Getting rather annoying. I tried taking off sunglasses and putting them on to see if it's the in-cabin camera trying to see my face and if I'm concentrating but didn't notice a difference. Maybe a more scientific process is needed to test that 😂

Well actually, you can:
  • Evie and Chargefox often have their chargers in better locations (lots of amenities nearby). SC’s are often in quite crappy locations. Maybe the rent is cheap.
  • Evie and Chargefox have 350 kW chargers. Tesla is mostly 120 kW, only a few V3s rolled out so far. Model 3 can charge at up to 180 kW.
I use Tesla SC’s if conveniently located, but am a big fan of ChargeFox and Evie.
I’ll be using all of them when my 3 arrives.
Someone driving a jaguar was caught out a few days ago in Goulburn when the Chargefox went down after heavy rain.

It’s nice to have that redundancy with Tesla.

Are you using a tesla connector at home? My Zappi does that but takes it to another level where it keeps decreasing the amps, and the only way to get it back up is to turn the zappi off at the breaker to reset. The tesla connector on the other car is easy to adjust all the time from the app.

I charge both my EVs from excess solar nearly all the time. When I do, the EVSE continually changes the Pilot signal (which signifies the max Amps). The car faithfully follows this max Pilot (I monitor on TeslaMate). However, if I have the Tesla App open at the same time, something goes wrong and the charging level goes all over the place. It looks like the phone App is fighting the EVSE. So, I always charge using excess solar with the Tesla App well and truly OFF. However, if I set the Pilot level in the EVSE to a fixed value, the car and App both behave sensibly and charge at that level but allow me to decrease the amps below the EVSE setting either from the car or from the App..
Not sure if this helps you.....

Thanks, I like to stick to only using manufactures "stuff" so had been waiting and waiting for the AMP adjustment and to now have it but with a bunch of bugs (that has continued through the last versions of 10 an 2x versions of 11) has been a really bugger.

Hoping that the Gen3 charges will once and for all fix it all....