Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the new turn signal feature. One thing that will take getting used to is in roundabouts, I found as soon as I enter it might turn off the turn signal which then indicates to the other cars to enter as well. I need to observe how it handles roundabouts.

Does anyone know how to get stop the displayed speed limit from dropping back from 100kph (typical tassie country road) to 50 when the car is about 2 km from a highway or a suburb, way before the signed speed limit change? I like the over speed limit chime but have to turn it off because it generally/often has trouble knowing what the actual speed limit is on country roads. Latest software update hasn't fixed although I did coax it to recognise the signed speed limit leaving suburbia once by touching the displayed sign, maybe once. That is not possible on the way into suburbia though as there isn't a sign to recognise.

I really like the new turn signal feature. One thing that will take getting used to is in roundabouts, I found as soon as I enter it might turn off the turn signal which then indicates to the other cars to enter as well. I need to observe how it handles roundabouts.
I have had this feature for a while and I really like it. However it sometimes turns itself off. In suburban streets without any lane markings it sometimes turns off, like when I am approaching my house and I put the blinker on to turn into the driveway. Also I have a T intersection at the end of my street and you approach it up a rise and then the road falls towards the intersection, if I put the blinker on before I go over the rise it will turn it off, it's like it can't see a corner so it turns off. Seems to work really well on roads with lane markings and even without road markings as long as there is an obvious corner approaching.

Reactions: singlespeed
Also, regarding the latest software update. Am I crazy or is there no wiper control in the scroll wheel shortcuts? Was it omitted from the Australian cars? I don’t see any reference to the wipers when setting the default scroll wheel option or when scrolling through the list.

Mine default to climate control, which seems to turn on climate controls if they’re off, even if I just want to scroll to an other menu. I get this is new, but it’s annoying, if the CC is off, I want it to stay off. I changed the default to something else to avoid this now.

I was quite excited about this software update, but after a couple of days, nothing much seems that useful.

- The Large font whilst a good idea, looks blury, like the aliasing isn't correct. Not really somehting I need myself so I am not fussed.
- The large font for the speedo is probably the most useful for me, minor, but really worthwhile.
- The steering wheel scroll customisation whilst again worthwhile, doesn't do much for me, press and hold, then scroll somthing. Seems harder than using the screen for many things, I mean adjusting the temp, screen or voice is easier, Fan speed perhaps, but screen is pretty much as easy etc etc. I have settled on ringing up the camera because its one press. The screen brightness perhaps as a close 2nd. Still a strong beleiver that something like the CTRL-BAR should be built into Tesla's products that allow you to customise physical controls to your heart is content.
- Points of interest seems almost pointless, can do that on my phone and send to car, really don't think i'll be searching for stuff on the centre screen.

Features missing:

- Annoys me if you are on the trip or tyre card that when changing track/station doesn't breify pop up to confirm what the new track/station is.
- Still no way to quickly adjust tilt/no tilt mirrors when reversing. I only want tilt when I am getting near a gutter.
- Lager text just for the clock and outside temperature.
- Software swap of drive stalk with turn signals (This is so unlikely!).
- Turn by turn navigation visualisation is just terrible compared to Apple maps. I am hoping project highland returns a instrument cluster for this.

because it shows on the screen that theres a timed 40 - but if i engage it sets it to 60 and starts zooming.. ?
Set cruise control to engage at current speed not speed limit.
While a bit annoying that you have to then adjust it, it's less prone to errors. Did the same after the car constantly tried to go higher than the speed limit in a tunnel.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
The bloop noise with changing gears with the new update is irritating, however speed sign recognition seems a lot better on the freeway here in Melbourne , but still the car doesn’t necessarily slow down to the speed limit. Does anyone know how to have car slow down to displayed speed without pushing the speed sign?

Reactions: demaw
So my current Model 3 is manufactured beginning of Feb 2023, so pretty much the latest hardware they have for now was having major LTE connection issues and wiper action before the latest update. So updated to 2023.12.1.1 on Friday and after the update when I was charging the car, lost LTE again and I tried 2 reboots and still could not get connected to LTE$, so gave up and ewnabled hotspot on my phone and was connected through that for the rest of the evening. On Saturfday LTE and wipers both worked normally and I was rather pleasantly surprised.

He said, let's apply this and it should fix it up and yep the LTE is back and running now.
View attachment 932545
Well on Sunday I went to visit some friends and while the car parked in front of their house lost LTE again and reboot did not fix it so I went back to hotspot from my phone again. So I dont believe the LTE issues have been fully resolved as I had 1 day fine and next still issues on the new update.

Voice rec doesn't love Australian place names... 5 km from the supercharger in Dubbo - 'navigate to supercharger in dubbo' - goes looking for places in Melbourne... 'navigate to nearest supercharger' - stars looking for the closest one on the map, that's now looking in Victoria.

V2023.2.12
Every time I mention to the car to navigate to Robina, it first writes it correctly, then amends it to Ravenna, Italy and tries to tell me there is no available route there, even though I am literally less than 10km from Robina. The routing voice commands spell checker is an idiot in that car.

Now with the new software update I have noticed that the speed sign recognition is way more aggressive. It appears to find most speed signs visible and show the new speed limit, however it often also takes a speed sign from a parallel road and tells you that you have 40 speed limit on motorway, when that is not actually applying there. The sign recognition fully ignores all LED speed signs for me and we have a lot of them here. It also does not actually appear to affect the set speed limit from most of the signs so that set speed limit often is way off from what the actual speed limit is.

I have also noticed that the TACC and AP are considerably worse on the latest software. It used to keep the car rather solid at the center of the lane before, but now during motorway turning or lines merging with somewhat faded line markings, it appears to be swerving and sometimes getting out of center. It went rather wide for me on a few turns in M1 even touching the lane line during Saturday drive, which was very much unusual as it has been so good before.
The wipers are slightly better, but I still had a couple of dry wipe sessions, so not fully fixed yet. So seems like they are improving some things when others are getting the raw end of the deal. So heres hoping the next update will make things better :)

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
the car doesn’t necessarily slow down to the speed limit. Does anyone know how to have car slow down to displayed speed without pushing the speed sign?
I assume you do not have FSD. You imply you are on the freeway.
In my experience, it only works in AP mode (lane following) and only above a certain speed (which is in the manual somewhere but I cannot remember the speed. Around 70 or 80). It does not work in TACC. The manual says not to use AP in built up areas.
In general, it changes speed for me out on the highway. However, changing down happens after the sign so I override that because I do not want to get dinged for speeding which can happen in the 50-100metres after the sign (happened to my wife. You have to be at the new speed when you pass the sign- at least that is so in NSW.)

I upgraded yesteday to 2023.12.1.1
I was surprised that the text isn't much bigger
I'd like the speed font to be about 50% bigger
I had a pair of special bifocals made with the spilt in just the right place to read the screen. But then I discovered the Teslogic app for my phone and now I never drive without it, lovely BIG digital speedo, speed limits, cruise control setting and a few other things right inside the top half of the steering wheel. Best couple of hundred dollars I have spent. I only use my glasses now if I want to read the maps or maybe the playlist.

The bloop noise with changing gears with the new update is irritating, however speed sign recognition seems a lot better on the freeway here in Melbourne , but still the car doesn’t necessarily slow down to the speed limit. Does anyone know how to have car slow down to displayed speed without pushing the speed sign?
Yes. It happens automatically when using autopilot on what the car thinks is a single lane road. It will accelerate up to the previously set speed when you leave the slow zone.

As an aside, the car will not allow automated lane change when there is an overtaking lane section on a single lane highway.