Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but if it did I missed it.

I've noticed the coloured proximity lines from the USS don't show up when the car is in motion.

I first noticed this about a week ago, wasn't 100% sure if it was completely not working or just the location I was in, but confirmed it was definitely happening today, and I got 2023.32.7 this morning, so it's been at least since .6, maybe earlier. They work fine when parking.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I keep telling them: They should give an option to help train the speed limit recognition. If enabled, the car would pop up a big sign that says "Limit X detected. Correct?" With big yes/no buttons. If user presses no, sends feedback to tesla that says it's the wrong speed limit so they can train the AI on the detection, and TACC reverts to the last limit detected.

It could be so simple. And it would automagically train the NN used to detect the signs.
I'd love to see that. The speed limit recognition for 110kmh signs in rural areas is very poor, especially at night. It is better than it was but still a long way to go.
FSD 12 does away with the computer reading speed signs completely. Uses AI to mimic the speed that people drive in that part of the road the car is on. It is a pretty amazing system and interesting to read about. Will hopefully be the game changer Tesla has been promising for so long now.

I keep telling them: They should give an option to help train the speed limit recognition. If enabled, the car would pop up a big sign that says "Limit X detected. Correct?" With big yes/no buttons. If user presses no, sends feedback to tesla that says it's the wrong speed limit so they can train the AI on the detection, and TACC reverts to the last limit detected.

It could be so simple. And it would automagically train the NN used to detect the signs.
Yep. They could at least give an option to easily report when the speed limit recognition is wrong.

I would also like the speedo to calibrate itself to the GPS so I don't need to dial in a 2% offset to travel at the actual speed limit.

had two incidents on the trip back from QLd yesterday of the speedlimit recognition picking up the 60kph sign from an off ramp instead of the 100/110from the highway. Other than that I found it pretty good.

Changes in 2023.32.6 Autopilot speed settings have reduced Autopilot functionality to a choice between dangerous versus useless.
Sorry, I don’t quite understand the problem you’re describing. I am on 32.6 and I see the same behaviour as I have seen in the past. A single down press on the right stalk maintains the current speed as per my setting. A double down tap adds lane centering. A long down press sets the speed to the speed limit + offset. I can use the right scroll wheel to move the set speed limit up and down as required.

@0xZoom mine does similar things regularly. On exiting the Lane Cove tunnel northwestbound, it picks up the 70 sign on the side road. On entering the Harbour Bridge southbound on the Warringah freeway, it picks up the 40 sign from the bus lane of the Cahill expressway. And yes, it still picks up the bloody 40 signs on the backs of buses, whether they're stationary or whether I'm driving behind them.

@Skurfer The problem with training the AP on other driver behaviour is it replicates their crappy driving in my car. That's a highly undesirable outcome. AP still needs to detect speed limits, as those will change more quickly than the training set for AP gets updated. Think roadworks, time variable speed limits, and congestion - you don't want the car to slow down in free flowing traffic because it detected a slowdown there some months back.

And woe thee if they start replicating my favourite "other drivers are morons" behaviour: slowing down on the freeway when entering a tunnel. It's the same width, same visibility, same everything, it just *feels* tighter. The fact that 99% of the driving human population is unable to a) question themselves "why do I slow down now?" and then come to the logical conclusion "whoa, I don't need to, the road parameters are all the same" clearly means we're headed towards extinction at the speed of an impacting celestial bolide.

And then lastly, @JonDarian, calibrating the speedo from GPS is problematic. Contrary to popular belief, consumer grade GPS is actually not all that resilient, and thus not really suitable for such a critical function as calibrating your speedo. When all parameters are OK (which is true 90% of the time) *and* you are on a flat and straight surface, that would certainly work and the accuracy is good enough. But there's a significantly non zero chance that the GPS is somewhat inaccurate or the road you're on isn't straight and level enough to make this a resilient calibration.

First long drive in a few weeks and noticed some odd behaviour:

When navigation is active and I am ignoring it, it slows down when it thinks you are making a turn (or it thinks you are supposed to make a turn). I needed to manually accelerate through these areas especially if there are vehicles behind you.

I found this today when driving a route that didn't have any superchargers, and the car thought I wouldn't make it, but it didn't know about the public DC chargers on the route. It kept on telling me to turn into U-turn bays to turn around and go to the supercharger 100 km in the other direction. After I kept driving past the U-turn bay, it would find another one a few kilometres up the road and the same thing would happen.

I changed the navigation to disable the trip planner - but that meant my battery wasn't pre-conditioning, so my charge rate once I reached the DC charger was slower.

And then lastly, @JonDarian, calibrating the speedo from GPS is problematic. Contrary to popular belief, consumer grade GPS is actually not all that resilient, and thus not really suitable for such a critical function as calibrating your speedo. When all parameters are OK (which is true 90% of the time) *and* you are on a flat and straight surface, that would certainly work and the accuracy is good enough. But there's a significantly non zero chance that the GPS is somewhat inaccurate or the road you're on isn't straight and level enough to make this a resilient calibration.
That's a fair point, but it seems to be that the car could pretty easily know when it was on a straight and level road. If it's GPS consistently told it that it was travelling 2% slower than the speedo indicates, it would give a clue that the speedo could calibrate upwards. I know that auto manufacturers are obligated to avoid the speedo reading too low (and therefore encouraging speeding), it would just be nice if the Tesla could be as accurate as possible.

That's a fair point, but it seems to be that the car could pretty easily know when it was on a straight and level road. If it's GPS consistently told it that it was travelling 2% slower than the speedo indicates, it would give a clue that the speedo could calibrate upwards. I know that auto manufacturers are obligated to avoid the speedo reading too low (and therefore encouraging speeding), it would just be nice if the Tesla could be as accurate as possible.
I‘m fairly sure that every car I have ever owned is around 2kmh too slow. The manufacturers presumably do not want to be liable for you speeding if they are sligthly too high.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I‘m fairly sure that every car I have ever owned is around 2kmh too slow. The manufacturers presumably do not want to be liable for you speeding if they are sligthly too high.
You are likely correct. Both my EVs are 1.5 to 2km/hr slow at 100km/hr. It absolutely does not worry me. I've owned around 30 cars in my lifetime and the two EVs are the most accurate of all of them and every one has under-read on the speedo. I used to carefully time them on measured 5km markers.

Same here - my S reads 2km/h faster than it is travelling. Which by far is the closest to real speed any of my cars ever showed. Tested on the marked 5km sections we find on our motorways, as well as using GPS data from the car (on a flat and straight... )

Sorry, when I said "under read on the speedo" I really meant the opposite. All of my cars have OVER read, just like the good Doctor says. I was having a "senior moment". So my quantities were correct, just the minus/plus (=over/under) sign reversed! So my cars always have and still are below the speed indicated on the speedo but my two EVs are the closest of all cars I have owned in 59+ years of driving.

• Funny
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
First long drive in a few weeks and noticed some odd behaviour:

When navigation is active and I am ignoring it, it slows down when it thinks you are making a turn (or it thinks you are supposed to make a turn). I needed to manually accelerate through these areas especially if there are vehicles behind you.

I found this today when driving a route that didn't have any superchargers, and the car thought I wouldn't make it, but it didn't know about the public DC chargers on the route. It kept on telling me to turn into U-turn bays to turn around and go to the supercharger 100 km in the other direction. After I kept driving past the U-turn bay, it would find another one a few kilometres up the road and the same thing would happen.

I changed the navigation to disable the trip planner - but that meant my battery wasn't pre conditioning, so my charge rate once I reached the DC charger was slower.
Noticed this (slowing down for anticipated turns) as well so you're not alone.

You can set the supercharger as a second destination and the actual charger you're going to as your first.

Noticed this (slowing down for anticipated turns) as well so you're not alone.

You can set the supercharger as a second destination and the actual charger you're going to as your first.
I found the navigation frustrating on our recent trip, especially as we left Supercharger Territory. Setting the GPS for a known QESH charger in Miriam Vale saw the car silently decide to navigate us back to the last Supercharger in Gympie. If it is going to do that, it should show a large banner saying "Screwing with your navigation for the sake of prioritising Tesla chargers. Love and kisses, Elon!" so at least you know what is happening. Even better would be for the car to know the location of other DC chargers and (gasp!) allow preconditioning for them.