Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's amazing. I've had plenty of phantom braking in 7k kms. I wonder if we are using the term differently? I mean, the car brakes sometimes if it is approaching a slight rise and can't see every bit of road past it. I've had it brake for uneven shadows across the road. I can override it each time with the throttle, but it's still unnerving for me and the cars behind me when it happens.

That's not counting the times when it freaks out about cars or pedestrians kind of near the direction of travel.
We've only had the car 6 weeks but have done nearly 6k km with some road trips and i've had the car "phantom" brake quite a few times, at least more than 10. A few times for bike riders riding in the shoulder, and a few times when coming up to pass a truck on a highway or motorway, but quite a few times when the road has been clear and no obvious threat.

I've also had the car while traveling on autosteer try to lunge into a right turn lane on the highway. I've narrowed this down to when I'm in the left lane, i use the auto lange change to pass a slower car ahead, and just as its completing the move one of these turn lanes comes up and the car seems to think it wants to turn into someones farm gate road. I actually have some dashcam footage of it happening to a Model Y who was driving in front of me on the Pacific Highway heading south just north of Karuah.

My biggest bug bear with the autosteer is that it uses too late of an apex to complete turns to the left, leaving the vehicle too close to the middle line or centre divider to be comfortable for me.

In positive news though, a Lexus thought it wanted to be in the lane where I was yesterday and the car reacted and hit the brakes fractionally before I could, and I saw it happening and reacted accordingly. so even though I saw it happening and took action immediately, the car was quicker than I could be. My only regret is that when I hit the horn after avoiding the car it didn't emit a fart noise to tell the Lexus driver what i was really thinking....

Overall, it does a pretty good job, and I am really looking forward to improvements.

I drive my car on city roads and highways and I have never experienced "phantom" breaking in the first 10000km.

To clarify phantom implies that there was no reason for breaking. The car will break suddenly if a stationary object passes through its intended path, even if the obstruction is a long distance away.

For instance sometimes cars might pass infront of you to enter the road and maybe go into the median strip. Because they are passing peripendicular their speed in your direction is 0 and the car will break just as they pass through your intended path. This is the most common form of slow down i experience. I cant recall any other breaking outside of this which was unexpected.

Reactions: SPadival
That's amazing. I've had plenty of phantom braking in 7k kms. I wonder if we are using the term differently? I mean, the car brakes sometimes if it is approaching a slight rise and can't see every bit of road past it. I've had it brake for uneven shadows across the road. I can override it each time with the throttle, but it's still unnerving for me and the cars behind me when it happens.
Sudden braking for no apparent reason. The one I remember is this - It happened on Princes freeway as I was overtaking another Tesla at 100kmph and there is an overpass just in front. Thankfully, I was in the overtaking lane and nobody was behind me and other Tesla owner probably understood the behaviour and knew that I wasn’t being a jerk 😂

There is a theory floating around that phantom braking will mostly disappear if you re-calibrate the cameras under bright sunlight on a 3 lane highway. I never had to do this because it was very sunny on my car’s delivery day and I was driving on a 3 lane highway within a few minutes after delivery.

Sudden braking for no apparent reason. The one I remember is this - It happened on Princes freeway as I was overtaking another Tesla at 100kmph and there is an overpass just in front. Thankfully, I was in the overtaking lane and nobody was behind me and other Tesla owner probably understood the behaviour and knew that I wasn’t being a jerk 😂

There is a theory floating around that phantom braking will mostly disappear if you re-calibrate the cameras under bright sunlight on a 3 lane highway. I never had to do this because it was very sunny on my car’s delivery day and I was driving on a 3 lane highway within a few minutes after delivery.
tesla are aware of phantom braking and warn of it in the manual. I’m sure if they knew of optimum calibration conditions to avoid it then the manual would state that instead.
Once the warning is removed from the manual we will know it has been resolved.
Until then the risk of a full braking event for no apparent reason makes autopilot dangerous.

Upgraded to 32.9 on Friday. So far so good. The biggest improvement for me coming from 20.9 was the improvement to the side cameras. Wow!
I have had the improved side cameras for about a month, and agree the colour balance is much better. That weird sepia effect is greatly reduced.

Unrelated: I was towing my trailer yesterday and marvelling at how trailer mode doesn't stop the visualisation screen showing me being tailgated by a car. How does it not realise that the thing following me is the trailer currently plugged into the towing socket?

I have had the improved side cameras for about a month, and agree the colour balance is much better. That weird sepia effect is greatly reduced.

Unrelated: I was towing my trailer yesterday and marvelling at how trailer mode doesn't stop the visualisation screen showing me being tailgated by a car. How does it not realise that the thing following me is the trailer currently plugged into the towing socket?
That seems to have started a few updates ago. It’s annoying, but doesn’t seem to affect anything other than the visuals.

Reactions: JonDarian
Drove to Brisbane and back to the Gold Coast today for work. Family managed to lock themselves out of the house, so I had to leave during peak hour. On 32.9 I noticed that it's taking a lot longer to get up to speed when in traffic that is stop/starting or getting slow and speeding up again. I was constantly on the accelerator to get the car to close the gap.

Anyone else noticed this?

I agree, it always tended to be a bit slow getting up to speed and late to stop, but this was worse than before. E.g. cars would be getting up to 100 km/h in front and I'd be sitting in the high 80s and slowly increasing. A quick stab on the accelerator to get to 100 and then it was fine again.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Same here - car accelerates like a hesitant learner. It also leaves a 5 meter gap to the car in front when stopping, which is about 3 too many meters in dense traffic.

Parameters like distance to keep when stopped to car in front and max acceleration on AP should be as easy to set as the self park feature's maximum distance to drive and how much gap to leave to the wall. This can be set in the GUI using SI units. Why not for these other behaviours?

They really need to open source it all so the pros amongst us can fix Tesla's shortcomings.

Last edited:
Same here - car accelerates like a hesitant learner. It also leaves a 5 meter gap to the car in front when stopping, which is about 3 too many meters in dense traffic.
I actually don't mind it stopping a bit to short of the car in front - it's easy enough to fix with just a little throttle input - but it would be no good if it behaved that way in full-self driving.

I did have an episode a few days ago when TACC brought me to a stop behind queued traffic, then started "pulsing" the wheels as though it was rotating them just a tiny bit forward and back several times a second. It only happened once, but was weird in what I would have thought were near-ideal conditions.

Today, TACC was showing the correct speed limit and max speed, but kept decelerating to about 20kph below those speeds unless I maintained throttle input. This was on a straight road, with good lane markings and light traffic. I am now on software version 2023.32.9.