Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I presently do 45,000km a year and initially, the running costs of an EV was the selling point. Back then, I didn’t fully understand auto steer vs FSD (like most newbies.) I purchased anyway looking at saving $14k a year on fuel alone before crippling Mercedes ‘service’ costs and $2k on tyres annually.
The day after I took delivery, auto steer activated and a trip down to Sorrento cemented how good auto steer actually is. Far less likely to get fatigued on my commute home, or run up the backside of someone in peak hour. I fell for EAP on our current Y, I love the auto lane change but otherwise, there’s still a ways to go on NOA down my way at least.

Having also recently had my paint exchanged with another vehicle, I can personally attest to how safe these cars really are and how much is built in compared to the good old days. (If there’s any doubt in this forum 😂)

Absolutely. Having just done a 2000km road trip, the TACC plus Autosteer definitely reduces fatigue while driving.

Having said that, the Navigate on Autopilot function can actually be the opposite experience, having to constantly override poor lane changes/merges etc. This varies depending upon the road structure and mapping. I find the VIC section of the Hume Hwy is pretty good on NOA, but the NSW Hume Hwy is very bad with numerous crossovers that cause the vehicle much confusion. The TACC can brake suddenly when in the RH lane, and auto lane changes near these crossovers can have unexpected results. Basic Autosteer in the LH lane is pretty good though. The motorway section closer to Sydney is fine, and in fact Autopilot is not officially recommended for anything other than controlled-access motorways.
The Hume Hwy between Goulburn and Berrima is particularly bad because it seems to be categorised in some maps as a controlled-access motorway, but it's not - it has all those uncontrolled at-grade intersections that NoA does not like.

Having successfully concluded the "end area/zone" discussion, thread drift:

"Speeding is the number one killer on NSW roads" is one of my favourite regulator assertions. Does anyone know the methodology/evidence used to arrive at that conclusion? It just seems so improbable given the number of near misses I observe every day caused by distracted or inattentive drivers. Surely, distraction and inattention are the number 1 causes, speed simply is the lowest hanging fruit in terms of measurable quantities for the investigating body?
I think it's deliberately misleading.
Obviously, speed is the biggest factor in deaths/injuries in accidents when they happen. Whether speed CAUSES more accidents in the list of causes is entirely different but I think the authorities like to make it a primary cause, which it isn't.

Whether speed CAUSES more accidents in the list of causes is entirely different but I think the authorities like to make it a primary cause, which it isn't.
Im of the opinion that the cause of most accidents are multifactorial. Speed, fatigue, distraction, road conditions, impairment are often the most common
And so it would not make sense to give less weight to one factor over another. There are multiple laws/regulations/driving advice covering all of the above factors so I don't believe that the authorities are focusing on or targeting just one factor.

The Hume Hwy between Goulburn and Berrima is particularly bad because it seems to be categorised in some maps as a controlled-access motorway, but it's not - it has all those uncontrolled at-grade intersections that NoA does not like.

Well it’s even worse on the VIC side, where VicRoads, in defiance of all road definitions, calls the Hume Highway the Hume Freeway, when it is manifestly not.

At least on the NSW side, the “End Freeway” sign is correctly displayed just south of Berrima, where at-grade crossovers start to appear, even though the dual carriageway continues..

At-grade crossovers on dual carriageways are possibly rare beasts in the USA and so not a case that is coded for.

Well it’s even worse on the VIC side, where VicRoads, in defiance of all road definitions, calls the Hume Highway the Hume Freeway, when it is manifestly not.
That is true. However the VIC side, there are only a few of those crossroads. On the NSW side they come up so often that NOA is constantly pinging NOA "on", NOA "off" every couple of kilometres in some parts. I had to turn NOA off just to stop the pings. (Not the Berrima area, more the long bit between Yass and Holbrook).

Tesla App on Android and iPad not connecting to car. Graphic of car just has a ghost image fading in and out. Lots of posts on social media. Could be phone/tablet model dependent.
My app has been showing a ghost image, when not connected to the car, for some weeks now. I don't think it has been taking any longer to wake the car than it did before. I assume it is intended as a visual cue that the app is not connected.

My car has just downloaded 2023.44.30.7 this morning. I'll report if I notice any changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
My app has been showing a ghost image, when not connected to the car, for some weeks now. I don't think it has been taking any longer to wake the car than it did before. I assume it is intended as a visual cue that the app is not connected.

My car has just downloaded 2023.44.30.7 this morning. I'll report if I notice any changes.
The ghost image is the rubbish untested recent update to the app. It stays as the ghost image until it all loads. The bigger issue is powerwall, it magnifies around 1000% on opening and takes a good minute To slowly shrink itself to the correct size

The ghost image is the rubbish untested recent update to the app. It stays as the ghost image until it all loads. The bigger issue is powerwall, it magnifies around 1000% on opening and takes a good minute To slowly shrink itself to the correct size
Same since the last update powerwall/house graphic takes more more than a minute to slowly shrink on my Samsung S21 & just under a minute on my Ipad. And you have to keep the screen open, if you go to a subscreen or other and come back it is still magnified to where you left it.

Same since the last update powerwall/house graphic takes more more than a minute to slowly shrink on my Samsung S21 & just under a minute on my Ipad. And you have to keep the screen open, if you go to a subscreen or other and come back it is still magnified to where you left it.
That Powerwall zoom out left me stunned - not in a good way. WTF were they thinking when testing it even on semi newer smartphones/ tablets. Another beyond belief. Don't mind the dark ghosted car graphic till connection is establish.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
That Powerwall zoom out left me stunned - not in a good way. WTF were they thinking when testing it even on semi newer smartphones/ tablets. Another beyond belief. Don't mind the dark ghosted car graphic till connection is establish.
they clearly did not test the powerwall part of the app, but at least the metering that they broke two updates ago is now working properly again.

Hi all, Just took delivery of a Model 3 Highland last Thursday, and it hasn't yet downloaded the Holiday update. Is there any hard and fast rules around when an update will become available for newly purchased cars? I know new cars are shipped with older software "for stability purposes". Just wondering if there is a general time list, or kms travelled etc before an update can be installed. Cheers!

Hi all, Just took delivery of a Model 3 Highland last Thursday, and it hasn't yet downloaded the Holiday update. Is there any hard and fast rules around when an update will become available for newly purchased cars? I know new cars are shipped with older software "for stability purposes". Just wondering if there is a general time list, or kms travelled etc before an update can be installed. Cheers!
Not really. It seems like most people get it in about the first week, but others sometimes report longer. Do make sure that you are successfully connected to WiFi, though.