Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent used the key card at all since i picked up the car two years ago....
The OP (of this part of the thread) & others, including me, have had instances where the phone failed to work. Sounds like you've been lucky so far. On the other hand, our BMW phone key has never missed a beat but it uses the built-in Apple car key system.

I havent used the key card at all since i picked up the car two years ago....
There have been a couple of times when the keycard has been really useful for me. When my phone needed to be repaired by Apple, I could still drive the car. And when doing outdoor activities where I can't bring the phone, I can put the phone in the boot with Bluetooth off, and just use the card to unlock the car. Very handy, and much lighter and less bulky than the key fob from my old car.

Reactions: paulp and Jules22
I currently have software 2024.8.8
Drove this morning with Navi on and it didnt puck up the speed cameras. Back to using Waze
I’m on 2024.8.7 and it shows speed/red light cameras but it is useless as the icon looks like all the other icons and it doesn’t warn you.
I just use Waze too, it comes thru the car speakers to warn me

"Always carry your key card with you in your purse or wallet to use as a backup in case your authenticated phone" - Tesla

I cant reconcile the above with this

Tesla considers the phone key as the backup with the card as the primary.

But primary in the sense that it is the "master" & must always be available if required

Its not a "master" because you can actually have zero keycards and multiple phone keys/fobs
While a keycard is an easy way to bootstrap the creation of a new phone key, it is not required, so long as a connected key is available. It is even required at the hand over of a new Tesla?

Last edited:
I noticed today that it shows average speed zones as well, with a note in the navigation area saying "entering average speed zone" and "leaving average speed zone" (the same place that the note about preconditioning the battery appears).

I currently have software 2024.8.8
Drove this morning with Navi on and it didnt puck up the speed cameras. Back to using
I’m on 2024.8.7 and it shows speed/red light cameras but it is useless as the icon looks like all the other icons and it doesn’t warn you.
I just use Waze too, it comes thru the car speakers to warn me
Do you use your waze on your phone? How do you connect Waze through your speakers?

You get the Waze audio via the car speakers via the Car's bluetooth.
Only if your audio is set to Bluetooth. If it's set to Spotify, you get nothing.

Having said that, on my Samsung S22+ I can customise certain applications to always play alerts on the phone's speaker, regardless of what I'm playing in Tesla Audio. It's in Settings -> Sounds and Vibration -> Separate app sound. I've set up Waze, Uber Driver and Messages to always play on the audio device 'Phone'. I never ever want to miss an Uber ping because I was listening to in-car Spotify!

• Informative
Reactions: Zinzilla