Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, the new Highland supports UWB which in my iPhone settings I can now toggle UWB permissions for the Tesla app (presumably for CarKey support). I'd love if Tesla got on board with Apple and allowed your key to sit within Apple Wallet, but I'm inclined to think this will never be the case, at least in the short-medium term.

The UWB vs Bluetooth arguments are currently in favour of UWB having better range, better accuracy, less battery drain and improved security. Of course, software revisions may improve both Bluetooth and UWB in the future, notwithstanding hardware limitations.

Also looking forward to the new Apple Watch app that will hopefully also support UWB with compatible watches.

UWB could actually detect where you are in relation to the car, like a traditional car fobv (The Tesla one is just bluetooth). Eg, only allow you to open the door you are near. EG, if you stand next to the drivers door, you cannot open the passenger side door/s. Its just a matter of programming implementation.

Its still a little bit of a cop out that Tesla hasn't had this built into its cars for the last few years considering its been in phones for quite a while.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Any feedback on 2024.8.9 yet? I am on 2024.8.7 and my car is telling me 2024.8.9 is available, so wondering if its fine doing update when I get home after work, or hold for a few days to ensure its mostly stable?
As it's only been around for 7 days and the majority of cars on TeslaFi have been updated to 8.9. I would surmise that 8.7 is the buggy version they're trying to remove from the fleet. 8.7 got to just under 50% of the TeslaFi fleet and now it's down to just 17% with the majority of 3's now on 8.9. I updated for this reason.

Any feedback on 2024.8.9 yet? I am on 2024.8.7 and my car is telling me 2024.8.9 is available, so wondering if its fine doing update when I get home after work, or hold for a few days to ensure its mostly stable?
When a new revision comes out like this that only a couple of numbers ahead of what you're currently on, you should just immediately take it on the premise that they've pushed it quickly to address the bugs on the version that you're currently running.

The issue that many people have reported with the iPhone app's "climate" page not showing defrost, camp, dog mode etc. appears to also affect the "location" page - where tapping on a supercharger location is supposed to display site details (usage, prices, etc). The map still scrolls to centre the pin in the top part of the screen, but the window with all the site details doesn't appear.

I'm guessing these two are the same bug purely because the layout of each screen is similar and the affected portion is in the same location.

This is iPhone app version 4.31.6-2599.

I wondered if there was some kind of mix-up in the terminology. A Faraday cage would be effective, but I suspect (just from the tin-foil-hat way they are marketed) that a lot of the products marketed to block RFID chips are of very low quality. I could be wrong, but I am reassured that they are not needed by the fact that I have to make really good contact with a card reader before it can read my credit card. Good luck doing that through my wallet, clothing and at any kind of distance. If someone is actively rubbing a device against my pocket, I will probably notice and either a) punch them or b) ask them to buy me a drink.

Anyway, back to software updates, this next one (2024.8.9) looks like it has some useful bits - I will like a simple one-press way to override Charge-on-Solar on the rare occasions I want to fill the battery overnight.
What I learnt from my 'investigation' (some 4-5 years ago now) when I was considering buying one (RFID protectors were being heavily advertised at the time), that there wasn't a single incidence recorded anywhere in the world at the time where information had been successfully stolen using a device to (electronically) steal credit card info.

Reactions: JonDarian
Agreed, UWB has been out for a few years now. The same could be said of the modem inside the Highland (not sure what MY is shipping with). 2G/3G/4G/LTE. Now I know they ship the Shanghai-built car all over the place for RHD markets and need to remain compatible with a breadth of cellular markets, but 2G!? And no 5G?!

Given the numerous use cases for 5G connectivity in the automotive industry, it seems like a no-brainer for Tesla to upgrade their modems to 5G capability. Retrofit down the line perhaps?
It’s a shame UWB is only supported on a handful of phones, namely the ones which need to support something else in their walled gardens (think AirTags, whatever the Samsung and pixel ones are called)

It’s great with my iph14pro, being that it knows if I’m walking towards or away from the car (like how an AirTag can show the distance and direction to your AirTag)

I want to break out of the Apple ecosystem, return to something simpler.. my work ph is a pixel pro and I hate it, always screaming for my attention to do something I don’t care about, was thinking nothing2 or asus zen10 but they don’t support uwb and Id like to keep that.

IMG_0104.jpeg

Weird. Had to rescan Apple Music but Spotify no bueno and no sentry.
Ohh well glitch in the matrix going from free 3 months to paid maybe.

IMG_0105.jpeg

The current iteration of the parking algorithm is the smoothest and surest it has been so far. The only other system I have used is the Audi one from 5 years ago. It was quite, teutonic, in its approach. I’d be interested in other comparisons
Is this on 2024.8.9? I was just thinking tonight about how the Telsa Vision parking assist appears more fine-tuned. I believe the heat signatures are more accurate to distance sensitivities and it's picking up more detail than prior updates. Is anyone else noticing improvements?

Reactions: dronus
Is this on 2024.8.9? I was just thinking tonight about how the Telsa Vision parking assist appears more fine-tuned. I believe the heat signatures are more accurate to distance sensitivities and it's picking up more detail than prior updates. Is anyone else noticing improvements?
I didn’t get out for a drive after the update but will in the morning.

I last tried it with 8.7. I’ll try with 8.9 tomorrow

Ok so I’ve been out most of the morning driving and a few things were noticeable on this latest release.
Some of if might have already been there, but these were my observations.

1. The camera vision looks crystal clear. Maybe it’s just because I washed the car yesterday but I did notice when reversing and turning.
2. When navigating and you use the turn signal with the vision centred on the screen, the “next turn” dialogue shrinks and moves the right. When the vision is off, it comes back to centre.
3. The vision parking assist does look more accurate, I agree.
4. When using autopilot going down hill, single lane each way, when it gets to a curve it feels notchy, and trying to find its way. I recall it being smoother before but then again I haven’t tested it down that exact road before.
5. Speed cameras on map isn’t very useful, Waze ftw.
6. Didn’t spot any ghosts walking around the cemetary (bring that back!!)
7. Dang it’s a nice car to do some Sunday driving in ❤️