Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-sourced Winter Tires vs Third-party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Model Y, there's really nothing out there on the Tesla website. That said, Tesla actually has to get around to giving the Model Y a proper header on the Shop page although there's workaround by going to Tesla | Vehicle Accessories Model Y

I guess it's still early on but the selection is...limited. In particular, I'm looking for Michelin X-Ice SNOW or Nokian Hakks, but according to the manufacturers the correct tire size isn't being produced. Yet, I see some small dealers selling them - odd. Bigger shops such as Active Green and Ross have a small selection, while KalTire doesn't even list the Model Y amongst vehicles in their database (seriously, they need to get up to speed - no 2020 or 2021 Teslas listed at all). Yes, I did a workaround by going by tire size directly.

Then you get to wheels, which seems to be a hurdle in itself, with the same kind of limited selection.

I'm mulling over options whether to buy the rims separately from someplace like tSportline, then figure out who to get to do the tires, TMPS modules and install.

I will be contacting tire shops directly to see what options there really are.

I bought 20" rims from Tsportline. They are a seller on the forum. Shipped to Toronto within a couple days. They have free shipping last time I checked. They are direct bolt to Tesla. I bought winter tires at kaltire and put them on the stock wheel. The stock tire went to the new Tsportline wheels. Much cheaper than what Tesla offers. They now have more options than when I bought. 19" were not available 3 years ago.

My referral code for $50 off.
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Aftermarket Accessories

Good luck
For those with Model 3 Performance. TSportline sells a Performance-compatible 18" wheel. Just the thing to use for those Nokians. FWIW, They also sell with TPMS and tires pre mounted but Nokkians are AFAIK not available for them and I would not use non-Nokians for winter.

Despite my present addresses I have endured many very snowy winters and have used a wide variety of winter tires. Thus, my devotion to Nokian.

I bought 20" rims from Tsportline. They are a seller on the forum. Shipped to Toronto within a couple days.

TSportline packages seem nice. But are the prices I see on their website in US dollars? I assume so.

But if that's the case, then these 19" rims and tires, shipped to my door, are like $4300 CDN.
Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Plus potential duties I guess? At that rate, the $4700 for the Tesla-direct option doesn't seem so bad.

But does seem like their are various 19" Replika packages around Toronto with tires, TPMS, and install for about $2400.

I remember I used SimplyTire years ago. Seems like they have some options too: http://simplytire.com/winter/teslapdf.pdf

So this is interesting: My "No Spare Tire" Kit

Basically if you buy third-party tires, and then call Tesla emergency service for a roadside flat, they can't just replace your tire and let you go because it's not their tire. Instead they get you a tow.

That's a pretty big deal for me. Enough that I'm willing spend the bit extra for the official Tesla supported tires.

Granted, the third party ones wouldn't be any different than having any other car without a spare. But if I'm already getting Tesla roadside service, might as well be able to use it.

So this is interesting: My "No Spare Tire" Kit

Basically if you buy third-party tires, and then call Tesla emergency service for a roadside flat, they can't just replace your tire and let you go because it's not their tire. Instead they get you a tow.

That's a pretty big deal for me. Enough that I'm willing spend the bit extra for the official Tesla supported tires.

Granted, the third party ones wouldn't be any different than having any other car without a spare. But if I'm already getting Tesla roadside service, might as well be able to use it.
Except that Tesla has no winter tires for the model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
We took a road trip last year to Calgary and bought a set of 4 Tesla 18" Aero rims. We figured we might as well have the same rims all around - also means we can use the Aero hubcaps on either set of rims, so we didn't buy those. 4 rims and 4 TPMS from the Calgary Tesla store, with tax, was $1558. Sadly, we did it in the BMW because the Trans-Canada superchargers had not been activated yet.

I bought the tires from the local Fountain Tire - by opting for the 210kph (95V?) rating not 250kph saved a lot of money. Only downside is that without the foam inserts the road noise from snow tires is noticeably louder. But since we'd been changing these tires on and off the rims the previous winter, the rims will pay for themselves in a few years by not having to swap rims twice a year. I don't recall exactly but it seems to me we paid about $280 a tire or some such.

So probably, less than $3000.

I got my winter tires, rims & pressure monitors for my S from Kipling Tire in Toronto. They deal with Teslas. They got me nice rims of a similar style to what I had for the summer. Prices are good. I got Michelin X-Ice-good in rain & snow. You need to have them properly inflated as I find they loose substantially more crispness than other tires I have had if you let tire pressure drop from the recommended 45psi to ~40. Nokians are very good tires but you need to be aware that they are not as readily available so if you travel a bit off the beaten path and find yourself needing a new tire at Smalltown Joe's service centre in North Overshoe, he is much more likely to be able to get a Michelin than a Nokian.

Reactions: deevee8
Yes.
https://www.replika.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=r241&fn=satin+black
Choose 19x9.5 and +45 offset and you've got a match.
You, sir, have great taste in rims. I went with those same rims (in Space Grey) and had my summer tires moved from the OEM 18" aeros to these. Then I got my winter tires installed on the OEM aeros.

But I like the look of these R241s so much that I seriously considered ordering a second set to use as my winter wheels (perhaps in black instead of the space grey). But that would be wasteful, wouldn't it?

Please. Somebody talk me out of doing something dumb here. :)

You, sir, have great taste in rims. I went with those same rims (in Space Grey) and had my summer tires moved from the OEM 18" aeros to these. Then I got my winter tires installed on the OEM aeros.

But I like the look of these R241s so much that I seriously considered ordering a second set to use as my winter wheels (perhaps in black instead of the space grey). But that would be wasteful, wouldn't it?

Please. Somebody talk me out of doing something dumb here. :)
Don't do something dumb.

I bought the tires from the local Fountain Tire - by opting for the 210kph (95V?) rating not 250kph saved a lot of money. Only downside is that without the foam inserts the road noise from snow tires is noticeably louder. But since we'd been changing these tires on and off the rims the previous winter, the rims will pay for themselves in a few years by not having to swap rims twice a year. I don't recall exactly but it seems to me we paid about $280 a tire or some such.

So probably, less than $3000.
I checked what's on the car - Goodyear Ultragrip235/45R18 94T (oops, not V - T tire is good to 190kph, V to 240kph; if you are doing 240 in the winter, you can afford the difference in tire cost which is nothing compared to the ticket you'll get.) I had read bad reviews of the Tesla winter tire performance (basically, reviews said "these are winter tires selected by people who live in California") so we picked something with better reviews. Oddly, now I don't find these Goodyear tires available. They appeared to be in the $250 range. A quick search finds winter tires this size from $199 (Firestone Winterforce 2, 94S rating 180kph) to $330 (Pirelli 240 Sottozero 2, 98V rating, 240kph) depending on brand. So 4 tires will cost $1000 or so.

We'd bought these when we got our car, late 2018; so the decision was simple - we had tires that fit the Aero 18" rims, we needed Aero 18" rims. It was costing $140 a time, $280 a year to have them change the tires back and forth on one set of rims. Plus, we['d looked online and some alternative 3rd-party rims we read about did not exactly fit - for example, one fellow complained about the front wheels rubbing when the steering was cranked much of the way. Plus, how much are you really going to save by buying 3rd-party rims, when the factory rims cost $C250? The rims will pay for themselves in the lifetime of the first set of tires by not swapping tires - and less wear and tear on the rims. Changing tires I can (did) do myself, with a hydraulic jack, jack point pucks, and a torque wrench.

I vaguely recall the cost for just the 4 metal rims (18" Aero) plus a set of 4 pressure sensors ($99 I think) was somewhere in the area of $1250 plus tax (or was that with tax?) Considering that the winter tires alone probably cost $1000 or more at a discount tire place, according to a quick google search, I would suspect this is about the right number. We phoned the Tesla Store in Calgary to arrange for them to have them ready, and drove out there to pick them up. (With the BMW, unfortunately - no supercharger on the way at the time). No PST in Alberta. We got our tires in Winnipeg and had them mounted here when it was tire changing season.

These rims are big. (Wide! And heavy!) I could only fit two in the trunk, and the other two were strapped in the back seat with seatbelts like good little children...