Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharging - SC05 - Transfer supercharging workaround?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

this is my actual situation.
I am going to buy a Modelx of 10/2017 which has SC05 supercarger
The guy that sells it to me (private transaction) will give me his actual account and the email access used to access his account.
Therefore I should be able to use the free supercharging.

My questions are the following:
1. Upon service is Tesla able to check the change of ownership and remove the SC05 benfit?
2. Will the rename of user and email in the Tesla app trigger anything regarding the SC05 benefit?

Thanks a lot to all of you for the help

1. Upon service is Tesla able to check the change of ownership and remove the SC05 benfit?
Yes. But it could happen at anytime, a service visit is not required.
2. Will the rename of user and email in the Tesla app trigger anything regarding the SC05 benefit?
Yes
You and the seller also could end up blacklisted by Tesla and unable to purchase anything from them again. Tesla takes a very dim view of folks that try to cheat the system. I would not recommend attempting it. Keep in mind, all Teslas are in continuous contact with the Mothership, regardless of warranty status, charging feature, service visit, etc. It would not even take a service visit to disable the feature, it could happen at any time.

Is this really that bad? they will come until a ban?
Well, it does seem that you are trying to defraud Tesla to get free Supercharging that you aren't entitled to. I would assume because you are planning to Supercharge a lot, so are trying to steal a lot of electricity?

As far as Tesla knowing about a change in ownership, they have to have current owner information to be able to send out recall notices, so I assume they buy updated DMV data all the time, and compare that against their own records to find changes.

Well, it does seem that you are trying to defraud Tesla to get free Supercharging that you aren't entitled to. I would assume because you are planning to Supercharge a lot, so are trying to steal a lot of electricity?

As far as Tesla knowing about a change in ownership, they have to have current owner information to be able to send out recall notices, so I assume they buy updated DMV data all the time, and compare that against their own records to find changes.
Besides, Tesla always knows exactly where your car is located at all times. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Even if it did (require a rocket scientist), they have a few of them around.

Hi all,

this is my actual situation.
I am going to buy a Modelx of 10/2017 which has SC05 supercarger
The guy that sells it to me (private transaction) will give me his actual account and the email access used to access his account.
Therefore I should be able to use the free supercharging.

Tesla won't know that the ownership changed unless they pull records from the state, which they don't have any right to do.
Renaming will NOT change anything - however, I would NOT change the actual name, just the e-mail.

Been done, people do it all the time.. When you move from a commercially owned vehicle to personally owned, you have to do this, even if you're the commercial owner and personal owner...

Tesla won't know that the ownership changed unless they pull records from the state, which they don't have any right to do.
They very much do. DMV records are readily available (for example for car history reports, sometimes they are even sold to advertisers) and as others mentioned, manufacturers are obligated to check DMV records for registration changes so that recall notices can get sent to the correct address. That same information obviously can also be used to determine when the car has changed ownership.

Reactions: MP3Mike and ngng
I changed the name and e-mail account (my own account) about a year into purchase - no repercussions... I still have my free supercharging, and so on.. The Tesla account changeover isn't a transfer of ownership in their system, it's account management... If you buy the vehicle under a company, someone else's name can be in there and/or e-mail... and if someone else starts driving it, you can change that.. The owner is still the company, just a new driver.

I believe a number of people have used this method to get free supercharging to stay with the vehicle during sales for non-transferrable supercharging. Yes, there are documents that stay in there that someone else can see and other things (e.g. if you purchased solar/powerwalls or other vehicles) then you may not be able to do this...
I just bought a 2016 model s and realized my DA02 autopilot + premium connectivity doesn't seem like will transfer...

When you say Tesla account changeover is just account management are you referring to just email and name update or using their transfer feature?

Problem is I bought this at a Volkswagen dealership so I can't contact the previous owner who traded it in.

Am I screwed?

You bought it when? Cause you got lucky it won’t stay with it if a dealer gets it. If you got it before around Before 2020 around Oct or before in 2019 it would stay with it. Now it won’t but it will if you sell it to a private seller.
Wait I thought the 2020 thing is original car delivery.

You're saying 3rd party dealership triggers loss of options? I'm concerned about DA02 autopilot and lifetime premium connectivity

I just bought a 2016 model s and realized my DA02 autopilot + premium connectivity doesn't seem like will transfer...

You're saying 3rd party dealership triggers loss of options? I'm concerned about DA02 autopilot and lifetime premium connectivity
Why are you thinking the autopilot and premium connectivity didn’t transfer? What do you specifically see on your screens?

Those are things that definitely transfer and have nothing to do with a 3rd party dealership. The only way that those things disappear for a 2016 car is that if Tesla at some point re-owned the car and chose to reconfigure it, stripping those things, which was Tesla’s prerogative if they re-owned it.

Reactions: ngng
I changed the name and e-mail account (my own account) about a year into purchase - no repercussions... I still have my free supercharging, and so on.. The Tesla account changeover isn't a transfer of ownership in their system, it's account management... If you buy the vehicle under a company, someone else's name can be in there and/or e-mail... and if someone else starts driving it, you can change that.. The owner is still the company, just a new driver.

I believe a number of people have used this method to get free supercharging to stay with the vehicle during sales for non-transferrable supercharging. Yes, there are documents that stay in there that someone else can see and other things (e.g. if you purchased solar/powerwalls or other vehicles) then you may not be able to do this...
I have difficulties following all of this thread.

Can you confirm the following :
- SC05 status ?
- Changed the email of the Tesla account ?
- Changed all the info in the app (credit card, post address, ...)

And FSC remained ?

Also, what year is the car ??

I'm selling my 2020 MXLR in 3 days and I want to avoid to leave my email address on the tesla account.
Thanks !

I'm selling my 2020 MXLR in 3 days and I want to avoid to leave my email address on the tesla account.
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have free supercharging that you are trying to pass on to the new owner? That is the sole point of this thread. SC05 is referring to Tesla’s coding of free supercharging that isn’t meant to pass on to a new owner.

This has nothing to do with FSD. That easily passes to new owners.

The normal way to do a private sale of a car is for you to go into the Tesla app and give the email address of the buyer. The buyer then sets up their Tesla account and the car transfers to them. This will cause SC05 free supercharging to be deleted from the car.

I have difficulties following all of this thread.

Can you confirm the following :
- SC05 status ?
- Changed the email of the Tesla account ?
- Changed all the info in the app (credit card, post address, ...)

And FSC remained ?

Also, what year is the car ??

Thanks !
Even if you play this game, it might be temporary. In the US at least, Tesla does occasional audits based on state car registrations (which are public record in the US and easily accessible by Tesla, although this may be different in your country), which can remove features when they determine ownership changes. So even if you keep the email on the account, it may still get eventually removed. You may end up having an angry buyer if they expected it to stay. So best to not make any promises on that and to disclose that this can happen.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have free supercharging that you are trying to pass on to the new owner? That is the sole point of this thread. SC05 is referring to Tesla’s coding of free supercharging that isn’t meant to pass on to a new owner.

This has nothing to do with FSD. That easily passes to new owners.

The normal way to do a private sale of a car is for you to go into the Tesla app and give the email address of the buyer. The buyer then sets up their Tesla account and the car transfers to them. This will cause SC05 free supercharging to be deleted from the car.
Yes that’s what I’m trying to do ;)

By FSC I meant FUSC (Free Unlilited Super Charging).

Even if you play this game, it might be temporary. In the US at least, Tesla does occasional audits based on state car registrations (which are public record in the US and easily accessible by Tesla, although this may be different in your country), which can remove features when they determine ownership changes. So even if you keep the email on the account, it may still get eventually removed. You may end up having an angry buyer if they expected it to stay. So best to not make any promises on that and to disclose that this can happen.
I’m Belgium based and I don’t know if Tesla has the « legitimacy » to check the registered owner for a VIN.

Anyway the buyer is warned we’ll see what he wants to do :
1. keep the account email and change the password
2. Change the email account and see what it does