Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow dissapointed at all the fanboys posts here. He has legitimate points. Tesla has much improvement needed and him not buying one makes total sense.

I've had nothing but issues with the model 3 performance in my first year that Tesla could have resolved with far less cost on their end and overall headache. The spoiler issues still persist to this day when they should have done the right thing by this point and stop and rework production. Instead their dumping dollars and frustrating customers.

Reactions: Petrocelli
Actually, the iPhone killed them. It was sudden disruptive technology not corporate arrogance IMO. I still maintain that the keyboard on the Blackberry is and was far superior to anything you get now.

I preferred the physical keyboard, too.

Yes, the iPhone helped kill them, but they almost 100% owned that market before the iPhone and they had plenty of time and money to mount a good defense. Instead, they arrogantly called it a “toy” and fiddled while Rome burned. I sat in on some of their earnings and shareholder meeting calls and heard it first hand. I was short the stock, so I made good money but the combined arrogance and stupidity just amazed me.

Last edited:
My wife and I just went for a drive in my new car. We drove about 7-8 miles along PCH through Pacific Palisades, and then through Santa Monica. In that probably 7-8 mile drive, on a lazy Saturday morning, we saw 5 Model 3s. (We actually counted.) That's kind of mind-boggling given that you rarely saw even 1 a year ago.

Congrats on the new car! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

The Model 3 requires a significant leap of faith. It’s not easy to do, so I understand where you’re coming from.

For me, I gave up a fully loaded Cadillac XT5 for the Model 3. Every feature, function and goo-gaw Cadillac offered was on that vehicle (with a gorgeous interior, I might add) - so my expectations are high. I was very, very please with the Caddy.

But now I traded it for a Model 3. While not perfect, absolutely hits it out of the park for me.

I just spent two weeks traveling on vacation in Europe. Paris, London, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway .... and there’s two things I can’t wait to get home to; my dog, and the Model 3. It’s THAT strong of a grip. I’m just itching to get behind the wheel!

That’s the kind of energy the Model 3 inspires. Like nothing I’ve ever owned. I’ve never NEEDED to get home to my car.

This one, I do.

I had nothing but a great working Tesla Model 3, everyday it just works like a car should. build month is Oct 2018 and no issues.

I looked at other high end cars and find that Tesla is well worth the $$$. I look forward to see what the truck would do and look like.

From someone coming from a MB, you must be getting real lucky. Congrats (did not read the thread btw only post #1) but sounds like a total troll thread.

You're really going to post that on a Tesla forum?

Too bad you didn't order one and use the 7 day/1k mile grace period to form your own decision, because really, you would have had a different opinion, 100% guaranteed.

Still have my Mercedes btw, just spun it around the block to keep the battery from discharging :D.

$448 per month also includes maintenance for me :D

Don't believe everything you read online....

Congrats on the new car! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

The Model 3 requires a significant leap of faith. It’s not easy to do, so I understand where you’re coming from.

For me, I gave up a fully loaded Cadillac XT5 for the Model 3. Every feature, function and goo-gaw Cadillac offered was on that vehicle (with a gorgeous interior, I might add) - so my expectations are high. I was very, very please with the Caddy.

But now I traded it for a Model 3. While not perfect, absolutely hits it out of the park for me.

I came from an XT5, too - except mine was a total POS with a bunch of problems. I came to call it the POS-5.

So far (knock wood), the Model 3 has been flawless. The only thing I miss from the Caddy are the ventilated seats.

I came from an XT5, too - except mine was a total POS with a bunch of problems. I came to call it the POS-5.

So far (knock wood), the Model 3 has been flawless. The only thing I miss from the Caddy are the ventilated seats.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Mine was a Platinum edition and 100% flawless. Zero issues in the 3 years I had it.

I miss a bunch from the Caddy - side mirror blindspot alerts, 360 surround camera, rear view mirror cam, Sirius xm, illuminated exterior door handles (they look sharp as hell at night) etc.... but none of those equal the things I love about Model 3!

I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. I get a new one about every three years. I have leased 6 Mercedes C class sedans in a row. Collectively, I have driven these cars about 270,000 miles. I pay about $600 a month, including 10% California sales tax. I put no money down (other than first lease payment and license.) The payment includes all regular maintenance.

My lease is coming up to its end, and I was considering a Model 3. So I started monitoring this forum. About a week ago, I was about 75% certain my next car would be a Tesla.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern. Since 1997, not one Mercedes has ever broken down. In the 270,000 miles, I have never paid for maintenance or a single repair. Only one time did the dealer need more than a day to conduct a repair. (I left the car overnight, and was given a free Mercedes loaner.)

I have never had any problem even remotely close to the horror stories I have read here. If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc.

Now, I do confess, no car is perfect. Mercedes can be problematic when you reach high miles. But I am talking about new car problems. The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue. The Mercedes does not.

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service. This is in contrast to my experience with Mercedes. Here's an anecdote: a few weeks ago, my sunroof shade wouldn't close. I brought the car to the dealer on my wedding anniversary, and told the service rep I needed it back by 2:00 (if possible) because I had a date with my wife. The service rep called me at noon to say the car was ready. (Also, I have had the same service rep for about 10 years, which helps.)

The good news: my salesman called after that service, because he saw the car was at 42,000 miles and asked when I was coming in for my next car. I told him I was growing bored with my C Class sedan, and was considering switching to a Tesla. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price. (I must pay $1,000 cap reduction though.)

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla. Maybe in three years the company will get its act together. However, I do thank Tesla for getting me a bad ass C300 Coupe.

Comparing Mercedes C class to Model 3 is like comparing Motorola razr to iPhone. Trust me, I have had c class, BMW 5 series, Audi A4.. its like comparing flip phone to an iPhone.

From someone coming from a MB, you must be getting real lucky. Congrats (did not read the thread btw only post #1) but sounds like a total troll thread.

You're really going to post that on a Tesla forum?

Too bad you didn't order one and use the 7 day/1k mile grace period to form your own decision, because really, you would have had a different opinion, 100% guaranteed.

Still have my Mercedes btw, just spun it around the block to keep the battery from discharging :D.

$448 per month also includes maintenance for me :D

I got a lot of good information here. In the middle of this thread, I was convinced I was going to get a model 3. By the end of the thread, I switched back to Mercedes, but that was largely due to my Mercedes salesman gave me an incredible deal on the C300 Coupe. It is absolutely gorgeous, and it drives amazingly. Solid and elegant.

I always wanted a 2 door Mercedes. Now I have one.

I have stated the reasons for my decision above. I believe they are valid. I don't need to repeat them again here.

I have stated the reasons for my decision above. I believe they are valid. I don't need to repeat them again here.

Yet you continue to do so after saying you are done three posts ago in two threads. 107 posts here compared to your 2 over at the MB forums.

Funny someone seems lost. Are you sure you don't want a Tesla? Does MB offer a 7 day return policy?

• Funny
Reactions: Nels
Comparing Mercedes C class to Model 3 is like comparing Motorola razr to iPhone. Trust me, I have had c class, BMW 5 series, Audi A4.. its like comparing flip phone to an iPhone.

OK. Let's compare them

1. Customer loyalty: Tesla wins. I know 4 people who have Teslas. Everyone of them says the same thing: “It’s the best car I have ever driven.” Three of them previously owned Mercedes. The partner of the fourth drives a Mercedes, and is getting a Tesla next. One of them had their delivery delayed 8 weeks because, according to a person she spoke with, Tesla hadn’t gotten around to making the red version of her car. Despite the bad service and lame excuse, that person will never drive another brand of car. I am starting to thing there is a sex robot somewhere in the car, or maybe a keg of beer. Or maybe they were brainwashed in Fremont. I don’t know.

2. Cost of Operation: Tesla wins. The cost of fuel would save me about $111.17 a month. But that savings drops to $93.33 if you factor in other costs I would incur, like installing a charger at home, lease return, mileage overage on the Mercedes, etc.

3. Saving the Planet: Tesla wins, and it’s not close. It didn’t come up in my threads, but in the past two weeks, I looked at the Kona EV. But my son drives a Kona, and I thought it was a little weird or us to drive the same car. I looked at the Jaguar too, but it was way, way out of my price range. Nonetheless, my three-year plan is to finish this lease and then go electric. (Other EVs were not big enough to hold my golf clubs, so they were eliminated.)

4. Drivability: Tie. Here’s my analysis: A Tesla drives better at under 50, but if you are on a freeway doing over 50, you probably want the Mercedes. If you are driving at 70 or more, you definitely want the Mercedes.

5. Exterior: Mercedes. The C300 Coupe is a work of art. It looks like a refined muscle car from the 1970s. Now, I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood in Boston. Old guys drove Caddies or Lincolns. Young guys drove muscle cars. (Watch the cars in Good Fellas and you’ll see what I mean.) If you drove a Beetle, you’d certainly be mocked, and maybe get a beating. My dad drove a Mustang, and the C300 Coupe kind of looks a little like that. In contrast, the Tesla was cool when I first saw it. But now that I have seen several hundred of them, they are kind of common In West Los Angeles. In fact, based on my informal survey, they are more common here than boob jobs, and that’s saying something. (Disclaimer: this is not of scientific survey.)

6. Interior: Mercedes. I know a lot of people complain about the buttons, knobs and switches on the Mercedes. They make it seemed like they were dropped into the cabin of the space shuttle in Florida, and were asked to take a few laps around the equator, and to land that bad boy in California. But if you can afford that car, you probably have the IQ to figure out the buttons in under a month. And I like the luxury. Personally, I don’t like the starkness of the Model 3’s interior. Also, I look at a computer screen almost every waking moment of my life. I don’t like a computer screen on my car. I also don’t like not being able to drive a car, or having to reboot it, if my computer crashes. I worry about computers taking over the world. I’ll be stuck in a Model 3 with the doors locked, and saying, “Open the pod door Hal.”

7. Seats: Mercedes. I always say the seat is the most important part of my car. The C300 wins this by a lot. It has one little adjustment in its seat that’s great: the part of the seat that hits your thigh can be adjusted forward or back, so your legs rest more comfortably. Love this feature.

8. Cabin noise: Mercedes. Not even close.

9. Roof: Mercedes. A glass roof is not a good idea.

10. Reliability: Mercedes. If you are leasing a Mercedes, chances are pretty low you will have a major problem in the first 45,000 miles. Tesla is going through growing pains right now. I expect it will grow out of them in 3 years, and that will be the time to buy.

11. Build quality: Mercedes. Not even close. And my car was assembled in Stuttgart, which is the Vatican of Mercedes plants.

12. Service: Mercedes. Not even close. I have had the same salesman since 1997. I have had the same service rep for about 15 years. If I have a problem with anything, I can get it resolved quickly. And they have a Keurig machine and really swell leather chairs with a big screen if you have to wait around. And free popcorn and apples. Sweet.

13. Lease plan: Mercedes. Who the hell has a lease program with no residual? Only Tesla. (Query: no one buys their car off lease, so why not have a residual Mr. Musk?) And why is the lease price on a $39,000 Tesla about the same as a $51,000 Mercedes?

14. Accessibility to charging stations: There are so many Teslas on the road in now, that I have noticed they are now hogging all the charging stations at work. I know people at work who drive plug in hybrids with limited EV capacity, and they used to have free reign of them. Now that the Model 3s have taken over, getting a charge at work is difficult. (And their cars do not have the electric range of a Tesla, so they are kind of pissed off at this recent development.) Hopefully, in 3 years, there will be more charging stations.

Wow, people are more likely to sell a BMW or Mercedes in the first year than a Nissan Versa? That's some "I really want to get out of this car" territory.

Neah, more like "I can afford to waltz in-and-out of cars and don't give a flip about depreciation" for a fair number of those who can afford to buy a German luxury sedan in the first place.
Nissan Versa buyers - not so much.

Wow, people are more likely to sell a BMW or Mercedes in the first year than a Nissan Versa? That's some "I really want to get out of this car" territory.

I found this:

"They “offer their dealers incentives to buy new cars to use as loaner vehicles, which are then sold as used when they are still under a year old,” said Phong Ly, CEO of iSeeCars.com, in a statement. “It puts brand-new models in the hands of current owners when they bring their cars in for service,....”

This is consistent with my experience. My car has been in the shop overnight twice. On both occasions, I was given a new Mercedes to drive. Notably, I always am given a different model than my car. It must be a marketing strategy.

Our Tesla center uses a Keurig as well.

Nespresso at Toronto Lawrence location )

48623058598_73306deeba_b.jpg