Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to incorporate AI assistant in cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Deep rain' has allegedly been deployed across the fleet since 2019. It was supposed to solve the crappy autowipers for good. It didn't.

They've actually gone the other way, and dropped the idea in FSD v11.
Ah - so it was there but no longer - I presume the new AI that is being built may help although we will need to wait - suspect it will be a while before it gets over here

This was the bit that bothered me:

View attachment 988345

To me this reads that he wants to leverage the processing power of cars that are not being driven to run the AI. For this to work those cars would have to be awake and based on the current generation of vehicles that means at least 200wh/hour or 5kwh per day.
I think not.
Thank goodness - someone who has read the article and has responded. It makes a change from those who only read the headline and jump to their own conclusion and then turn every thread into a "wipers don't work" pile in. But I can't see why it bothers you.

The discussion was about how to leverage computer power that is "idling". With about 6 million Tesla's on the road at the moment and probably another 2 million next year to be added there is a lot of compute sitting idle for most of the day and that gives the idea that he is explaining. The reference to SETI is the example of how it might be usefully used. The World Community Grid and the SETI site are ways that individuals, universities and businesses currently can allow their "idling" computers to do something useful. You opt in, and you choose how much power to devote to the tasks.

Mr Musk is merely pointing out that when Tesla have a Robotaxi fleet they may be able to leverage the idling computer power in their own vehicles to augment other parts of the Tesla empire or outsource it to X etc. That is just a normal commercial decision and just another expansion of the same scheme of useful combination of effort that also provides Virtual Power Plants (VPP) using domestic solar panels and storage batteries in a vast network.

There was no suggestion that they were going to harness your own individual vehicle. It specifically stated in a Robotaxi future**.

[** Elontime future may be a little longer than a standard future]

Reactions: init6 and CyberGus
The auto wipers failure is truly a global embarrassment for Tesla. Every other car maker either has working auto wipers or depends on good old adjustable interval wipers. Not Tesla - this company can't manage either. Sheer utter gobsmacking incompetence on something this simple is their order of the day.

Oh, and given I own the car and pay for the electricity that runs it, nobody - especially not that guy - is using the compute power in my car without offering a substantial rental and usage fee which I can decide whether to accept.

According to the story below, Tesla is going to incorporate their AI into their vehicles. Let’s just hope it does a better job of the current voice recognition which is without a doubt the worst assistant system I’ve ever used.

Here in the UK it barely understands commands, such as “navigate to Halfords”. “Set the wipers to medium”. Or responding to a text message via voice.

However, my Tesla is one of the only AI's I have that passes the "play Prisencolinensinainciusol" test. Alexa fails at this.

idling computers use considerably less power than ones actually working hard doing stuff. In the days of SETi when your screen saver did stuff for them I think cancer research did one too, the differences were more marginal.

Are we suggesting my electricity bill will be going up so Musk can use my hardware for other purposes?

Reactions: Dracaris
No worries, their shark-skin-suited lawyers would slip it into the sales and leasing contracts and never say a word until after the deal is done. Same way they offered and than snatched away several EAP features for the car we just bought. We probably wouldn't even notice until we see our car's SOC declining faster while parked than while we're driving the car.

Oh, and if they actually incorporate their GORP AI Bot into our cars it'll just respond to everything it doesn't understand or like, which will be most things, with a poop emoji. Thus, not likely to be very useful.

Last edited:
Thank goodness - someone who has read the article and has responded. It makes a change from those who only read the headline and jump to their own conclusion and then turn every thread into a "wipers don't work" pile in. But I can't see why it bothers you.

The discussion was about how to leverage computer power that is "idling". With about 6 million Tesla's on the road at the moment and probably another 2 million next year to be added there is a lot of compute sitting idle for most of the day and that gives the idea that he is explaining. The reference to SETI is the example of how it might be usefully used. The World Community Grid and the SETI site are ways that individuals, universities and businesses currently can allow their "idling" computers to do something useful. You opt in, and you choose how much power to devote to the tasks.

Mr Musk is merely pointing out that when Tesla have a Robotaxi fleet they may be able to leverage the idling computer power in their own vehicles to augment other parts of the Tesla empire or outsource it to X etc. That is just a normal commercial decision and just another expansion of the same scheme of useful combination of effort that also provides Virtual Power Plants (VPP) using domestic solar panels and storage batteries in a vast network.

There was no suggestion that they were going to harness your own individual vehicle. It specifically stated in a Robotaxi future**.

[** Elontime future may be a little longer than a standard future]
Hmm. the statement "Even in a robotaxi future, the cars will only be used for ~1/3 of hours/week, leaving 2/3 for distributed inference, like SETI."
implies using the power of vehicles when they are not in use not spare computing power when they are at traffic lights.
Also saying "even in a robotaxi future" does not imply it would only apply to robotaxis it means it could even be applied to robotaxis implying it is MORE applicable to other cars.
This is all in Elon's head right now anyway so we can agree to differ on details. I doubt it will happen.
because whoever owns the cars Tesla owned robo taxis or not, trying to use a bunch of battery powered cars as a distributed server farm is a dumb idea. There is a reason why server farms are built in places with either natural cooling or huge amounts of cheap power such as solar or hydroor both because when it comes to servers power is everything. Trying to run it on battery much of which comes from the various national grids at grid prices / mix of sources only makes sense if you are not picking up the tab.

Reactions: Dracaris
Robotaxi. Who in their right mind would let their cars be used each evening to a group of British piss-heads (UK forum) for a few quid every night for some group of scrouts to throw up in your 50 grand car. Is that man totally stupid?
I thought they’d be earning 100k a year?

Up to a point I think Musk is right, I can imagine a day when robotic automated cars will exist, where we differ is my timescales have an extra zero on the end - I think we’re 20-30 years away

Why would I want AI in the car?

Google, etc have voice assistants that can understand contextual commands, and follow on conversations, etc.. that's not "AI" in the ChatGPT sense (which is also really mostly a Large Language Model with a natural language AI sat on top). I don't need my car to answer questions that are unrelated to driving, really.

The only AI I would be interested in the car would be some kind of anticipation of when I am going to drive, automatic defrosting, intelligent nav re-routing, the ability to just ask in simple terms "where's the nearest cafe with parking", etc.

Reactions: ACarneiro
We're all first thinking how much more power will the computer consume but I think the true bottleneck will be the data bandwidth through LTE. 5G will have to come sooner than later. From what I read or see on YT, there's not much conversation where AI will intergrade to the cars computer, but rather use of processor power. So, auto wipers will still suck for a bit longer.