Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone catch this article regarding that garage fire? Exclusive: No permit for electrical work where Tesla charging fire occurred - Torque News

In short, there was no permit or inspection done.

But here's the other thing that I noticed when reading that article and reading about the report: 1) it was a NEMA 14-50 receptional with the owner using the UMC 2) the homeowner states that the electrician used 100amp breaker for this. Nobody seemed to pick up on that in the article. What happens if you use a 100amp breaker, lets assume 6AWD wiring, and a NEMA 14-50 with the UMC? Would this cause the adapter to melt or the home wiring to get too hot and catch fire? Obviously a 50 amp breaker should have been used. I'm just curious what would happen if I went down to my panel and started swapping breakers for ones twice their size...(ok CLEARLY I am just looking for a technical answer for this, lol, not that I would do that or anything, I'm just wondering from an engineering perspective what actually would happen... what would cause the heat to generate and resulting fire? ).

Did anyone catch this article regarding that garage fire? Exclusive: No permit for electrical work where Tesla charging fire occurred - Torque News

But here's the other thing that I noticed when reading that article and reading about the report: 1) it was a NEMA 14-50 receptional with the owner using the UMC 2) the homeowner states that the electrician used 100amp breaker for this. Nobody seemed to pick up on that in the article. What happens if you use a 100amp breaker, lets assume 6AWD wiring, and a NEMA 14-50 with the UMC? Would this cause the adapter to melt or the home wiring to get too hot and catch fire? Obviously a 50 amp breaker should have been used. I'm just curious what would happen if I went down to my panel and started swapping breakers for ones twice their size...(ok CLEARLY I am just looking for a technical answer for this, lol, not that I would do that or anything, I'm just wondering from an engineering perspective what actually would happen... what would cause the heat to generate and resulting fire? ).

I read in the report that there were two 50A breakers in the subpanel being fed by one 100A in the main panel. So there were presumably two 40A outlets (on 50A breakers) which would be correct.

I examined the electrical panel again and saw two 50 amp breakers labeled "Tesla charger". The breaker was in the "tripped" position

(...) and had a licensed electrician install the 100 amp breaker in her panel and the wall socket for the Tesla charging system.

Neither a permit nor an inspection would change the outcome of this, in my opinion. An inspector will typically not check lug torque - he will look to see that the conductors are the proper size, the conduit is the proper size, the proper bushings and connectors are used, the boxes are grounded properly, etc. And if the homeowner relied upon a licensed electrician, certainly there would be an expectation that lugs were torqued properly.

- - - Updated - - -

ah. I skimmed it too fast then, missed that. makes sense. I bet he used 8 gauge wire instead of 6 LOL

Ha, ha. I realize you're speaking in jest. However, even 10 ga. would get warm but it's unlikely it would catch fire. Loose connections are what typically cause extremely high, melting heat.