Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla told me my test drive is not happening because they have no cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that OWNERS have been showing up at stores to help the staff take care of the customers. When was the last time that happened at Ford, GM or Chrysler?

Yep, owners giving love back to Tesla by doing this. Volunteers have been there since at least EoQ Q3 2018 when I picked up my car. I thought it was a great idea and super nice way to welcome new owners to the brand and family. We have also found owners at the Superchargers helpful as well if you had a question or found them willing to chat about the car or recommendations.

Look at how Tesla does marketing. It's genius to sell all the demo cars. The message is: These cars are such hot sellers that we don't even have a demo car because we are focused on getting as many of them into the hands of the people that want them now.

People want what they can't have, so if you think this is bad marketing/sales, you're wrong.

Now the bad service you get during and after the sale is what could kill this company's momentum. My personal experience so far has been very poor and very stressful, and with more success for Tesla, it will probably only get worse.

Marketing / sales 101. You NEVER - NEVER - ever sell your last floor model / demonstrator.
Just shows what RANK AMATEURS Tesla have become. Or always were?
Who the *** is in charge???
Has Elon really become this ignorant?

But Tesla’s not your otherwise average car manufacturer and as far as sales go sure seems to be working for them. Never too old to learn something new.

While we’ve seen other manufacturers not have any display or test drive vehicles available for certain models (compliance EVs or just limited new production vehicles), maybe it has affected their sales but people who order their Teslas sight or test drive un-seen aren’t as bothered doing this. New production cars will be arriving at the stores in a few weeks anyway so it’s just a short period of time anyway.

And by selling their demo, test drive vehicles they not only make those purchasers happy but the bring in new stock to the showroom.

It's the end of the quarter as we know it.
And no test drive...

Welcome to end YYYYQNM3 with tax credit drop, when Tesla sells everything it can and puts the squeeze on customers.

I'm sorry OP that you didn't know how Tesla works.

Huh? They didn’t have any cars left to sell and someone wanted to buy a Tesla, so they sold them a demo car rather than disappointing them. How is that putting a squeeze on customers?

Marketing / sales 101. You NEVER - NEVER - ever sell your last floor model / demonstrator.
Just shows what RANK AMATEURS Tesla have become. Or always were?
Who the *** is in charge???
Has Elon really become this ignorant?
You don’t get it. There are a ton of test drive cars on the road. Just ask one if us!

You don’t get it. There are a ton of test drive cars on the road. Just ask one if us!

Agreed. Tesla customers are their sales force. In these days of social media traditional sales models and advertising campaigns are dead or dying. Most people know going in, what a Tesla Model 3 is. They have watched countless YouTube videos, read forums like this, talked to friends, or went to a local Tesla meetup. This lets Tesla spend $0.00 on advertising and sell 400,000+ cars a year.

If your are serious about experiencing a specific car before buying, many simply rent a Turo for a day. Gives you an excellent change to checki it out and determine if you wish to place an order.

If you are just looking for a joy ride, then you will need to wait until Tesla restocks their showrooms.

It is their policy to take care of people waiting in line to take delivery over test rides.

Will be back to normal soon.

There's no need to test drive. Just order one and you will not regret it. The model 3 is one of the best EV's out there. Handles great and accelerates like no other car out there. If you can afford the Performance model go for it because the acceleration is around 2.9 to 3.0 secs which is bonkers. Might even be faster for the sleeper models. You will not regret.

If your are serious about experiencing a specific car before buying, many simply rent a Turo for a day. Gives you an excellent change to checki it out and determine if you wish to place an order.

If you are just looking for a joy ride, then you will need to wait until Tesla restocks their showrooms.

It is their policy to take care of people waiting in line to take delivery over test rides.

Will be back to normal soon.

This is also true. Rent one from Turo and you can get a feeling of how the car drives.

Interesting opinion piece on Tesla’s first-mover advantages.

Today’s ICE auto manufacturers are basically wholesalers of their cars to auto dealers that are their franchisees. This business model is a Great Depression relic that went basically unchallenged until Tesla came along. Tesla decided that the traditional business model was not appropriate for the new EV domain. Instead, it borrowed from Apple, which controls the full customer experience, from buying a phone to servicing it to upgrading to a new one.”

Tesla’s first-mover advantage over rival car makers should only get bigger

I agree that the franchise model is broken in many ways. But while Tesla may control the "full customer experience", they do a pretty *sugar* job of it. Many basic things need to be fixed.

They’ll get there. It’s the Amazon Model. Move early, move fast, fix it as you go.
Look at Amazon logistics. It sucked in the beginning. Big time. Now? They don’t need Fedex - delivery, logistics, none of it - anymore. Think about that for a minute.

Interesting opinion piece on Tesla’s first-mover advantages.

Today’s ICE auto manufacturers are basically wholesalers of their cars to auto dealers that are their franchisees. This business model is a Great Depression relic that went basically unchallenged until Tesla came along. Tesla decided that the traditional business model was not appropriate for the new EV domain. Instead, it borrowed from Apple, which controls the full customer experience, from buying a phone to servicing it to upgrading to a new one.”

Tesla’s first-mover advantage over rival car makers should only get bigger

I kind of laugh when I read how ICE manufacturers in the next few years are going to have dozens of models of EVs for sale. Kind of reminds me of when Apple lost its marketing way and had lots of different models with different pricing configurations. There were also for a period of time third party OS computers as well. People were confused what to buy and the fact that most sales people in stores like Best Buy couldn’t really differentiate them either didn’t help Apple. Finally they got smart, realized the insanity of having too many models that fractured their manufacturing and marketing efforts and went back to model basics.

That’s where Tesla is excelling right now. They perfected the look and features of each model with the ability to mass produce a few models. To keep prices down for buyers and margins good enough for Tesla, they limited trims etc. I think it is foolish for these legacy manufacturers entering the EV market to be spreading their offerings so thin. Something doesn’t appeal and sell well, like some of the current early released EV cars with small batteries etc., they’ll be left with vehicles they’ll have to discount and lose on margins. If they are still working or tied to the dealership model, that will factor in to sales as well if there’s no incentive for them to sell all these models.

Last edited:
Kind of reminds me of when Apple lost its marketing way and had lots of different models with different pricing configurations. There were also for a period of time third party OS computers as well. People were confused what to buy and the fact that most sales people in stores like Best Buy couldn’t really differentiate them either didn’t help Apple. Finally they got smart, realized the insanity of having too many models that fractured their manufacturing and marketing efforts and went back to model basics.
That confusion reigned at Apple on the road to bankwuptcy. Mr. Jobs is the one who stepped in and slashed and focused the product lines. And that was a good move.

Being first doesn’t always get you to the Winner’s Circle; but with what I’ve seen with Tesla and all those that absolutely love their cars, they have already worked through so many issues and hit a right note on so many (yes some business parts are being refocused) that I believe they will continue to succeed well into the future and not having test drive or display models for a few short weeks is not going to affect them at all. People who are serious about learning more about the cars they are seeing all over will be back.

Also probably a good move to sell off demos before too many miles get put on them.