Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I am missing some English finesse here, but if Elon says "Will consider it", then that means he is considering it? (unless he were lying which I would find very odd) And if Elon is considering something then for all intents and purposes Tesla is considering it.
It just means Elon sent an email to someone within Tesla. After that, who knows what decision will get made. It's still fairly premature to make it sound like this is happening as the referral program has got out of hand before.

The price chart looks like shark teeth!!

Spiky chart comes about on low total range days thanks to auto scaling y axis charts. Brain training required to not read anything into it.

No, Elon was asked on Twitter whether 10 referrals could earn the FSD option, and he replied "Will consider it.".

That's all to it, and Fred's headline is rather misleading, as usual.

Hmm. It would be bad if people don’t tick the FSD option (all margin) on orders believing they can easily refer 10 friends.

Maybe set the free FSD bar at something only socialites and salespeople would believe achievable, 25 referrals.

Hmm. It would be bad if people don’t tick the FSD option (all margin) on orders believing they can easily refer 10 friends.

This just about sums up my thoughts on whether or not to offer FSD free for referrals.

Also to add to this, consider that Tesla is currently production-constrained, not demand-constrained. I don't want to sacrifice $6k of pure profit margin for an extra 10 cars that Tesla can't currently produce.

Maybe I am missing some English finesse here, but if Elon says "Will consider it", then that means he is considering it? (unless he were lying which I would find very odd) And if Elon is considering something then for all intents and purposes Tesla is considering it.
He's thinking about considering it in the future ;)

This just about sums up my thoughts on whether or not to offer FSD free for referrals.

Also to add to this, consider that Tesla is currently production-constrained, not demand-constrained. I don't want to sacrifice $6k of pure profit margin for an extra 10 cars that Tesla can't currently produce.

No its not an extra 10 cars, the number is ridiculous amount of cars since most who try will fail. So it may gather thousands of referrals just for one person to get fsd. Think of a pyramid scheme. If everyone refer 10 people then the number of people who got referred will outpace the world's population after like 5 rounds down.

It means, "will look into it", or 'will think about it" or "will give some thought" or "will give it some consideration"

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Let me see...once I define the definition of 'what is is' I will move onto 'will consider'.........

Back on topic: SP break out is a large volume tomorrow with holding $231. Next real resistance would be about $250. I 'will consider' adding more shares when a break out is confirmed.
Lol are we really going back to this again? There are chains of what "am considering" means in the 2018 investors thread..hundreds of posts.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
A colleague approached me today to say he was considering an electric car, an i3 to be exact. He said he was considering a Tesla but heard they were going bankrupt and difficult to service. Of course I had to reeducate him and now I think he will get a model 3 but it blows my mind that this is what everyone thinks. Tesla desperately needs a marketing, communications team to correct this as it is really damaging the brand and hurting sales.
Update, he bought the M3 SR and thanked me for the ”intervention.” On a more market related note, I added another 110 shares.

while college education is not an income guarantee anymore, not having a degree is a guarantee of much reduced opportunities.
I was a bit concerned when my older son decided not to bother with college at all. However it's nine years later and the only problem he's had is shutting the doors of all the opportunities that don't interest him. Silicon Valley continues to be such that if you can do useful stuff nobody cares how you learned to do it. It's still nerd heaven.

* And, no, none of his opportunities came from me. Although the chance to interview for one internship came from a friend of my wife.

It's a rather neutral statement, with no implication that it will be done.

Because English is my first language, I can say without ambiguity that "will" is not present tense. "Will consider" means he is expecting that he will consider the pros and cons at a future date. If he was already weighing the pros and cons the proper statement would have been "I am considering it". Yet he only stated his intent to consider it at some nebulous point in the future. I don't read FayRed anymore but if his headline said that Tesla "is considering", that would be irresponsible journalism. But we already knew FayRed was not a responsible journalist so this is a big nothing burger.

Carry on...

Interesting comment by user Quark Star on recent SA news article:

Tesla 'throws in the towel' on growing residential solar, report says - Sunrun Inc. (NASDAQ:RUN) | Seeking Alpha

"It seems to me that a lot of user accounts here were created for the sole purpose of only posting bearish comments about Tesla. First, many of these users only post comments about Tesla articles. Second, many of them have screen names that seek to mock Tesla/Musk or praise bearish critics. Witness the various permutations of "Montana Skeptic" that abounds. And witness Tesla/Musk mocking names such as "flufferty the gigabit", "Yambol-Musk isn't a genius, people are just stupid.", "VIN Electric II", "Dansplans where we build our Tesla shorts with Love and sport Alien Dreadlocks", and so on.

Because of this, I question the motive of many of these users. Are they paid trolls? Do they work for outside interests that benefit from a potential Tesla failure? Such interests could be the many hedge funds that short Tesla, or large oil interests, be it in the US, Middle East, or Russia.

In regards to the latter, it is well known that Putin interfered in the 2016 election via a vast social media campaign targeting Facebook, Twitter, etc. (Many now also believe that Putin similarly interfered in the Brexit election, and perhaps even other elections.)

Now, oil represents 50% of Russia's exports. If Putin was willing to interfere in the 2016 election, logic dictates that he and his oligarchs would also use social media as a weapon to protect their oil interests. Shaping a negative public opinion on Tesla and EVs more broadly is one way to do this. And, in addition to Facebook and Twitter, Seeking Alpha would be a prime social and financial media target. Just observe the plethora of bearish articles on Tesla here, as well as the mind numbing amount of bearish comments on each and every Tesla article and news story. I'm not saying that this is all due to propaganda or trolls, but the quantity certainly seems well out of proportion compared to other stocks, past and present. And this ill proportionality has been well pointed out by other media observers, with the result that most bulls don't even bother reading SA anymore.

Whether it is Russia, US oil interests, or Wall Street hedge funds, it is clear that there is large social media smear campaign targeting Tesla. With this awareness in mind, it is ever more important for retail (mom & pop) investors to be vigilant about what they read online and to critically assess articles and comments for their authenticity, truthfulness, and motives. I hope, as well, that the SA editors take notice and heed this warning. But in all likelihood, I expect this comment to be deleted. Tesla bulls simply don't have a voice here at SA."

Someone please fact-check the $251.14m threshold I calculated
giphy.gif

Last edited:

That said, I truly believe that Tesla Energy is the sleeping giant that mostly everyone seems to overlook. The demand for the products are unquestionably there, now it's just a matter of scaling production. The silver lining with scaling Powerwall and power pack production is the obvious reduction in complexity relative to vehicle production; easy peasy ;).

I would love to see Tesla energy grow but why would they do suddenly better then the other players? The solar roof is bloody expensive and won’t be a major factor until cost is within reason. Elon thinks we all pay $55k for our roofs but most don’t. The powerwall is a good differentiator but real quantities won’t be here for years. Once the Powerwall comes out in force the giant may awaken.

I would love to see Tesla energy grow but why would they do suddenly better then the other players? The solar roof is bloody expensive and won’t be a major factor until cost is within reason. Elon thinks we all pay $55k for our roofs but most don’t. The powerwall is a good differentiator but real quantities won’t be here for years. Once the Powerwall comes out in force the giant may awaken.
Tesla Solar had a significant price cut back in April.

Nearly three years ago Tesla filed a federal lawsuit against Michigan officials for blocking the company's desire to directly sell and service its cars in the state. Does anyone have information on how this case is progressing?

There’s a chance it goes to trial still, possibly this summer. New complication is that the original repub state gov officeholders who were sued in their official capacity were all voted out in 2018 and incoming officeholders are dems, and these dems all inherited the lawsuit and they’re assumed to be more favorable to Tesla’s plight. Case still going through endless motion-filing. Follow Tesla v Johnson et al case on PACER or PACER clones. My prediction: favorable outcome for Tesla in Michigan.