Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking a bit BAF, no? Would be nice to cross $400...

There’s definitely some proper resistance there, with 21K calls of OI, plus a good number of puts. If we’re back to pre-S&P-dip Tesla trading, it’ll get through, MMs will have to flip to delta hedging from 400, and some shorts will likely cover, so I expect a sharp move up to $420 if we break 400 decisively.

Sideways in the 390s for a few hours would be very good, and I think that’s more likely than just breaking right through, but the volume is pretty strong, so it’s still a possibility. The overall tech bounce-back doesn’t have me convinced yet either, and that could be a drag if it doesn’t follow through.

Either way, It’s good trading weather...

Battery day location confirmed.

tsla-defa14a_20200922.htm

grtg3q20j1fn000001.jpg

Exactly where I take my drone flyovers! Will be doing at least one before the event!

lol, ok. I'm still surprised no mainstream Wall St firm is modeling T.E. All the better I guess. The gap between institutional investors knowledge and retail investors = continued opportunity for us. I wonder if battery day will change Wall St's view on T.E.

Chamath Palihapitiya certainly accounts for T.E.

Chamath Palihapitiya: Tesla's push toward renewable energy could make it worth trillions

I understand the issue. High growth companies are hard to value. Even minor changes in long term growth can have huge impact on discounted future earnings valuations. With Tesla auto it is hard and what made it so much easier for us to value 2013-2018 Tesla versus analysts. Looking at historical models, no one keeps growing 50% YOY without competitors waking up and slowing the trend, so this is new and awesome for us TSLA HODL'ers. Tesla Energy is hard to value since it holds the promise of 100% YOY growth, but that depends on having batteries to fuel that growth, without sacrificing auto sales. Once TE is a billion a quarter Wall St will pay more attn and have an easier time with valuations. This is one reason, among many, that ARK is so effective in valuing the business and not just quarter to quarter results.

Unlikely to be any faster since the proxy company, probably ProxyVote for most people, for your shares has to prepare, print, and mail you the legal proxy document. And USPS isn't exactly operating as fast as they have in the past.

But if you want to attend there is no harm in going through the steps to try to get it done in time.
My read of the Tesla notice is different, and states the control number may be requested up to Sept 17, 2020, and that the control number is sent via E-Mail:

• If you are a “beneficial owner” and hold shares through a broker, bank or other organization (the vast majority of Tesla stockholders), you will have to register in advance to obtain a control number. Please ask your broker, bank or organization for a “legal proxy” for the 2020 Annual Meeting and submit a copy of it from your e-mail address with “Legal Proxy” in the subject line to [email protected]. If your request is received no later than 2:00 PM Pacific Time on September 17, 2020, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with your control number.

Reactions: StealthP3D
There’s definitely some proper resistance there, with 21K calls of OI, plus a good number of puts. If we’re back to pre-S&P-dip Tesla trading, it’ll get through, MMs will have to flip to delta hedging from 400, and some shorts will likely cover, so I expect a sharp move up to $420 if we break 400 decisively.

Sideways in the 390s for a few hours would be very good, and I think that’s more likely than just breaking right through, but the volume is pretty strong, so it’s still a possibility. The overall tech bounce-back doesn’t have me convinced yet either, and that could be a drag if it doesn’t follow through.

Either way, It’s good trading weather...

Well, that aged quickly.

Looks like a real breakout on volume to me. Now it needs to maintain $400+ so it becomes support, and up, up, and away.
upload_2020-9-14_11-28-19.png

My read of the Tesla notice is different, and states the control number may be requested up to Sept 17, 2020, and that the control number is sent via E-Mail:

• If you are a “beneficial owner” and hold shares through a broker, bank or other organization (the vast majority of Tesla stockholders), you will have to register in advance to obtain a control number. Please ask your broker, bank or organization for a “legal proxy” for the 2020 Annual Meeting and submit a copy of it from your e-mail address with “Legal Proxy” in the subject line to [email protected]. If your request is received no later than 2:00 PM Pacific Time on September 17, 2020, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with your control number.
@MP3Mike is talking about the control number [the legal proxy form] from the proxy company that shows you are a stock holder. That is what you need to submit to Tesla to get the webcast access control number.

Edit: Clarification, thanks @MP3Mike !

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike

Correct, but you have to have your "legal proxy" to send in to that email address. Getting that, which is mailed to you, is what took me about a week to receive. Here is what ProxyVote mailed me when I requested the legal proxy. (Which you do by saying you want to vote your shares in person.)

E-TRADE Legal Proxy Redacted.jpg

Essentially you are trading in your ProxyVote control number for a Computershare control number.

@MP3Mike is talking about the control number from the proxy company that shows you are a stock holder. That is what you need to submit to Tesla to get the webcast access control number.

No. The ProxyVote control number won't get you anywhere, you need the legal proxy document. (For one thing the ProxyVote control number doesn't indicate the number shares you can vote, the legal proxy document does.)

Note: One consequence of doing this is that you can't vote your shares in advance of the meeting. You have to vote them at/during the virtual shareholder meeting.

Last edited:
@MP3Mike is talking about the control number from the proxy company that shows you are a stock holder. That is what you need to submit to Tesla to get the webcast access control number.

Ok but I understand you only need to do this if you want to vote at the meeting or comment.

There is still a public link to the shareholder meeting and battery day for viewing the events. Correct me if I am wrong.

From the Tesla website.

To accommodate ongoing public health requirements and travel considerations, we are also providing any stockholder as of July 31, 2020 the means to join the 2020 Annual Meeting virtually at www.meetingcenter.io/234436330. The virtual meeting will feature the same live video webcasts accessible to the general public above, plus the option to submit votes and written comments on meeting agenda items. In order to join the virtual meeting, you will need the password, which is tsla2020, and a 15-digit secure “control number” unique to you, which you may obtain as follows:

@MP3Mike is talking about the control number [the legal proxy form] from the proxy company that shows you are a stock holder. That is what you need to submit to Tesla to get the webcast access control number.

Edit: Clarification, thanks @MP3Mike !

Yes, but a shareholder should already have a control number, whether they are subscribed to paper notifications or digital. I got mine weeks ago. This is the same number you use to vote, no?

None of the ballot issues seem likely to cause people to want to change their vote from material presented at the meeting so I've already voted. But I could change my vote at the (virtual) meeting if I so desired (as long as I was registered which I don't plan to do).

Yes, but a shareholder should already have a control number, whether they are subscribed to paper notifications or digital. I got mine weeks ago. This is the same number you use to vote, no?

Yes and no. Yes, you can use it to vote via ProxyVote before the meeting. You can't use it to attend the virtual meeting, where you can vote during the meeting and ask questions.

Reactions: StealthP3D