Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like GF1 is supplying Austin for the Semi, at least initially...
Austin will definitely make cells for Cybertruck, probably Model 3+Y, and eventually the Semi..

IMO this is simply getting Semi production rolling as quickly as possible.... strong hunch this will be the first product produced by Austi, al signs seem to indicate that.

I think there was some reporting months back that Tesla was planning to ship some components needed by Model Y to Austin from CA factories to enable MY assembly at Austin to begin sooner than might otherwise be possible. Perhaps to enable Austin to begin covering East Coast MY deliveries sooner. Have you seen any recent information confirming or refuting these rumors? Given the apparent scale of Austin GF build out I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to bring both Semi into limited production as well as Model Y in this mode.

However seeing how quickly Tesla is bringing up Model Y production in Shanghai, perhaps it no longer makes sense to get Model Y in Texas jump started this way, rather than just build everything needed over 3 - 6 months as appears to be the time needed at China GF.

Reactions: Runarbt
there was some reporting months back that Tesla was planning to ship some components needed by Model Y to Austin from CA factories to enable MY assembly at Austin to begin sooner
Those reports were made while Fremont was still shut down back in April.

Situation has changed now that GA5 final assembly and the 2nd Gigapress are being installed at Fremont. Model Y will continue at full bore in CA.

Texas will be extra (all needed) capacity.

Cheers!

Cathie Wood has commented specifically that ARK Invest scenarios DO NOT include Tesla Energy because the other Analysts on Wall St. aren't including T.E.

ARK want's their SP targets to be directly comparible to other Wall St. estimates on an apples-to-apples basis (no easy-weasel route out when other firms are proven wrong).

This is NOT to say that ARK Invest thinks that T.E. is without value: it's to say in 5 yrs time ARK wants to show up the other Wall St. meringues for what they are. That's how they sell their ETF products, by demonstrating better insight. ;)

Cheers!

That logic does not make sense. Most of Wall St. doesn't include Transportation As A Service and yet Ark includes that in some of their models. Couldn't they do the same and include the Energy opportunity in some of their more bullish models? Not including energy based on that reasoning is just plain inconsistent.

We have to get a code to se the stream, no? I applied for attending, is the request part of that??

No, anyone can watch the stream. If you want to attend the virtual meeting and be able to ask questions you have to send your "legal proxy" to Computershare, by 9/17, and get a code. It is entirely separate from the process to request being able to attend the meeting in person.

Note: It took about a week to get my legal proxy, so if you haven't started that process already it is probably too late.

A few points about a million mile drive train.

There is international trade in used vehicles. Many developing countries import more used vehicles than they import or build new.

The economics of refurbishing or repurposing are much better in countries with low low costs than in more affluent countries.

The value of a used vehicle is bounded from below by the residual value of its parts. Thus, if the vehicle is so far gone that it is not worth refurbishment or use, the batteries can be worth repurposing or recycling.

The longevity of the battery impacts how long it has use value in excess of recycling value.

Developing countries also tend to not have reliable grid power. Repurposing cheap used EV batteries for stationary storage can be a serious step up for these economies.

Thus, it is pointless to limit the valuation of a million mile battery to the hedonic value of the vehicle in affluent countries. Developing countries will snap up used EVs for all the value they can make of them. While new car buyers in affluent countries may struggle to see the value in a million battery, I believe it is enormously important for decarbonizing and raising the quality of life in developing countries.

That logic does not make sense. Most of Wall St. doesn't include Transportation As A Service and yet Ark includes that in some of their models. Couldn't they do the same and include the Energy opportunity in some of their more bullish models? Not including energy based on that reasoning is just plain inconsistent.
Two separate issues. T.E. is the Megapack/Powerpack/Grid Services side of the business. That's what Wall St. ignores.

Our 'friend' Adam Jonas of MorganStanley specifically DOES put a valuation on FSD/Autonomy, as has been reported in the Financial media for years:

Tesla's (TSLA) 'Full Self Driving' Could Unlock the Extreme Bull Investment Scenarios - Morgan Stanley | StreetInsider.com - May 28, 2020 7:08 AM EDT

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas reiterated an Equalweight rating and $680.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) but sees a way to not only justify the current valuation, but unlock the 'extreme bull scenarios' some investors are gushing over. If the Full Self Driving Solutions are embraced by customers, it would offer Tesla a recurring revenue stream and justify software like multiples on that component of the business."​

Cheers!

We do? Where, how, when, why?

I misunderstood, see below...

No, anyone can watch the stream. If you want to attend the virtual meeting and be able to ask questions you have to send your "legal proxy" to Computershare, by 9/17, and get a code. It is entirely separate from the process to request being able to attend the meeting in person.

Note: It took about a week to get my legal proxy, so if you haven't started that process already it is probably too late.

Thanks for setting me straight, Mike!

Two separate issues. T.E. is the Megapack/Powerpack/Grid Services side of the business. That's what Wall St. ignores.

Our 'friend' Adam Jonas of MorganStanley specifically DOES put a valuation on FSD/Autonomy, as has been reported in the Financial media for years:

Tesla's (TSLA) 'Full Self Driving' Could Unlock the Extreme Bull Investment Scenarios - Morgan Stanley

Cheers!

lol, ok. I'm still surprised no mainstream Wall St firm is modeling T.E. All the better I guess. The gap between institutional investors knowledge and retail investors = continued opportunity for us. I wonder if battery day will change Wall St's view on T.E.

Chamath Palihapitiya certainly accounts for T.E.

Chamath Palihapitiya: Tesla's push toward renewable energy could make it worth trillions

Tesla's (TSLA) 'Full Self Driving' Could Unlock the Extreme Bull Investment Scenarios - Morgan Stanley | StreetInsider.com - May 28, 2020 7:08 AM EDT

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas reiterated an Equalweight rating and $680.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) but sees a way to not only justify the current valuation, but unlock the 'extreme bull scenarios' some investors are gushing over. If the Full Self Driving Solutions are embraced by customers, it would offer Tesla a recurring revenue stream and justify software like multiples on that component of the business."​

Cheers!
yeah but what about Starlink internet in Teslas? That's the key!

/s

It's going to be a long night for us Europeans. The Annual Meeting of Stockholders starts at 1:30 PT, which is 10.30 PM CET (and an hour earlier for the Brits). If the meeting takes 1,5 hours then Battery Day itself will only start at midnight. Elon time :rolleyes:

Good thing I'm off the next day :D
You know what to do the next day even if you're not off....'cough..cough'

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67

I would expect the process is faster now that the deadline is nearing. I wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to "attend" the virtual shareholder's meeting from doing so.

I would expect the process is faster now that the deadline is nearing. I wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to "attend" the virtual shareholder's meeting from doing so.

Unlikely to be any faster since the proxy company, probably ProxyVote for most people, for your shares has to prepare, print, and mail you the legal proxy document. And USPS isn't exactly operating as fast as they have in the past.

But if you want to attend there is no harm in going through the steps to try to get it done in time.

lol, ok. I'm still surprised no mainstream Wall St firm is modeling T.E. All the better I guess. The gap between institutional investors knowledge and retail investors = continued opportunity for us. I wonder if battery day will change Wall St's view on T.E.

I put the idea that analysts could understand Tesla better if only they had more information in the same category as those who think a gay person can become straight with a little "education". It simply doesn't mesh with the known facts.

Very nice. But Chamath is not a Wall Street analyst.

I honestly don't want all the laggard Wall Street analysts to jump on board and give TSLA a "buy" rating because that's one of my indicators that the story is over. TSLA will have laggard analysts who don't get it long after TSLA passes the $1 trillion market cap.

Last edited: