Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Macro not helping at the end, yet despite anaemic volume, $TSLA resisting!

I'm sure @Artful Dodger will inform us, but this looks like one of the lowest volume days in the last 5 years...

There have been at least 3 trading days with lower volume in the past 7 weeks (and that's with today's volume until 16:00 hrs only).

It's the calm before the storm, IMHO. The Earnings Call will shake loose the cobwebs, as some big players realize just how might Tesla is about to become.

Cheers!

As a space nerd I shouldn't say it but I will.

I'ld rather invest in BoringCompany than SpaceX/starlink at this point.

SpaceX will do great but already have a huge valuation. Still a multiple or two to come though. Starlink will be IPOed at such a high valuation it'll be a good investment but hardly a lifechanging investment opportunity.

If BoringCompany gets the digging figured out and comes up with a great vehicle solution there really is no limit.

What's great is that in one way or another BoringCompany should need Tesla vehicles so their success would benefit Tesla as well.

Last edited:
As a space nerd I shouldn't say it but I will.

I'ld rather invest in BoringCompany than SpaceX/starlink at this point.

SpaceX will do great but already have a huge valuation. Still a multiple or two to come though. Starlink will be IPOed at such a high valuation it'll be a good investment but hardly a lifechanging investment opportunity.

If BoringCompany gets the digging figured out and comes up with a great vehicle solution there really is no limit.

What's great is that in one way or another BoringCompany should need Tesla vehicles so their success would benefit Tesla as well.

SpaceX and Starlink are one. An IPO of Starlink will reward SpaceX shareholders.

If Boring figures it out - which they will (all a dry run for Mars) - and they IPO, it will also be at a huge valuation.

But you do not see SpaceX as a trillion dollar company when they get to Mars?

Should be so lucky as to have shares in any of them, IMO.

SpaceX and Starlink are one. An IPO of Starlink will reward SpaceX shareholders.

If Boring figures it out - which they will (all a dry run for Mars) - and they IPO, it will also be at a huge valuation.

But you do not see SpaceX as a trillion dollar company when they get to Mars?

Should be so lucky as to have shares in any of them, IMO.

I'm not gonna look it up but I think the entire rocketlaunch industry is worth something like $4billion per year right now. That's if you get to do every single launch from earth. So sending rockets by itself won't be a trillion dollar business anytime soon.

Starlink is the most valuable component of SpaceX. I can see Starlink IPOed at $200 billion or something when it's proven.

So it's down to Mars, catching astroids and space tourism. At least for the next couple of decades. Problem is even catching astroids won't be nearly as profitable as some think. A $250billion asteroid of diamonds will create a collapse in price that will make the tulip business in 1637 seem sensible. Other materials that are actually more useful will do better but it's not like you catch an asteroid and then you have billions and billions.

Space tourism? Sure, worth a couple of billions a year in a couple of decades.

Space economy will be big but it will take many decades to get really big. Mars will need to be sustained from earth for a very long time. Which is why we better get there soon to get started.

That said. Sure 1 trillion in 10 years is certainly possible, probably even likely. Especially if they keep a huge chunk of Starlink and it continues to do well. But SpaceX is already at $50-100 billion valuation. With much more risk than say Tesla at this point.

I'm thinking BoringCompany valuation right now is still in the single digit billions. The upside is so much bigger if one could get in now. Which I don't think anyone can.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna look it up but I think the entire rocketlaunch industry is worth something like $4billion per year right now. That's if you get to do every single launch from earth. So sending rockets by itself won't be a trillion dollar business anytime soon.

Starlink is the most valuable component of SpaceX. I can see Starlink IPOed at $200 billion or something when it's proven.

So it's down to Mars, catching astroids and space tourism.

If and when Starlink splits from SpaceX, I expect SpaceX to keep the satellite design and manufacturing business and potentially expand that to other customers. That's another multi billion dollar business for SpaceX.

Reactions: graphilwar
tesla event:
here’s a revoluntionary pickup truck, let’s hit it with a sledgehamer and throw a shotput through the window.
and
we‘ve been forfeiting record quarterly profits in order to develop our own batteries so that we can accelerate production and adoption of more evs to drastically reduce emissions

crowd;
BOOOOO....tesla sucks! elon’s a hack, scam artists!!!

apple event:
look at the photos our $1200 phone took this year!

crowd:
yay, let’s go buy new shiny iphones and $50 magnets for the back of them
...appleites are geniuses!!

bizarro world
Apple's new phones are impressive. I sold a few AAPL puts after the presentation, seeing AAPL was down. Actually I sold a few last Thursday too. I'll use the profits to buy a few new iPhones and Watches for the family. The old ones are several years old, and the new Watches have blood oxygen sensors for early warning on respiratory ailments (think Covid-19).

Tesla, as we well know, is incomprehensible to ordinary mortals. Actually, Apple is too. These things allow those of us to understand them to profit handsomely. Hint: almost no post I've seen on this thread demonstrates the slightest understanding of Apple. Pretty similar to the level of TSLAQ understanding of Tesla. But, so what? This is a Tesla thread on a Tesla site. Apple is irrelevant.

Last edited:
In case you were worried about the coming competition.

The 2021 Audi e-tron GT will sound unlike any electric car

This is not a onion article.
Fake engine sound is lame.

Hint: almost no post I've seen on this thread demonstrates the slightest understanding of Apple. Pretty similar to the level of TSLAQ understanding of Tesla. But, so what? This is a Tesla thread on a Tesla site. Apple is irrelevant.

I have a suspicion that a certain fruit company is going to dominate the nascent tele-health industry and possibly the new high tech home gym industry.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Apple's new phones are impressive. I sold a few AAPL puts after the presentation, seeing AAPL was down. Actually I sold a few last Thursday too. I'll use the profits to buy a few new iPhones and Watches for the family. The old ones are several years old, and the new Watches have blood oxygen sensors for early warning on respiratory ailments (think Covid-19).

Tesla, as we well know, is incomprehensible to ordinary mortals. Actually, Apple is too. These things allow those of us to understand them to profit handsomely. Hint: almost no post I've seen on this thread demonstrates the slightest understanding of Apple. Pretty similar to the level of TSLAQ understanding of Tesla. But, so what? This is a Tesla thread on a Tesla site. Apple is irrelevant.

i’m LT aapl shareholder.
possibly the first stock I ever purchased...don’t remember

Reactions: jdw

Must watch
the points about the impact on ICE OEMs economies of scale and 3 shifts were eye opening ... I realized innovators dilemma but only in concept... Munro in this video makes it real .. unfortunately for OEMs it is too late for them to convert to BEV... only one with a shot as Munro points out is probably VW and I only give them a 50% shot