Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the final outcome, the polling industry really blew it again and learned very little from 2016.

I believe that is one takeaway we can all agree on.
I’m afraid I don’t agree. The pollsters’ job has become harder and perhaps not really possible anymore. You can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear or, to put it another way, garbage in garbage out.

When I was a youngster, I went to parochial schools in a relatively conservative place. Those adults (unlike some mouthy youngsters :rolleyes:) who disagreed with the dominant dogma watched their mouths.

Now, people of a even centrist bent, much less a conservative one, in populous places have learned — in public schools, in the universities, through the good offices of their HR department — to keep their views to themselves.

The point is, if one view or another dominates to the point of being able to shout down opposing views, don’t expect civic discourse or the polls to reflect all of the people’s actual opinions.

For example, the island I live on now is similar to Silicon Valley where I used to live. You see a decent smattering of pro-Biden and BLM signs. I was informed the Trump signs are routinely taken here as there.

I am beyond grateful for the secret ballot. I’m also glad that the nonsense (all of it from anywhere and anybody) reaches a fever pitch only once every four years. :confused:

Hopefully it won’t be terribly long before I’ll be able to resume wading through the papers in search of the odd nugget of journalism. o_O

GOP was perfectly fine extending the ITC solar/wind tax credit a few years back.

Getting Tesla into the coming stimulus won't be a problem. Every state and local govt official knows very well the economic value of supporting these initiatives.

I was really worried about exactly the scenario with a split WH/Senate, but the more I think of it we might be in a mid-90s scenario right now. Plenty of common ground to be found and God forbid spending it reigned in as well like we did in 97. We may very well be in a sweet spot for accelerating sustainability.

The key thing to remember is that the ultra liberal agenda for scaling renewables/EVs is wrong. Hopefully the compromise solutions will be more focused around transparent and open markets.

1994-2000 and 2010-2016 had declining budget deficits, declining unemployment, declining crime, good economic growth, and great stock market growth.

Just in case anyone was wondering, THEY would love to keep if below $420 this week and we haven't got the volume to stop it.
upload_2020-11-4_18-28-44.png

I’m afraid I don’t agree. The pollsters’ job has become harder and perhaps not really possible anymore. You can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear or, to put it another way, garbage in garbage out.

When I was a youngster, I went to parochial schools in a relatively conservative place. Those adults (unlike some mouthy youngsters :rolleyes:) who disagreed with the dominant dogma watched their mouths.

Now, people of a even centrist bent, much less a conservative one, in populous places have learned — in public schools, in the universities, through the good offices of their HR department — to keep their views to themselves.

The point is, if one view or another dominates to the point of being able to shout down opposing views, don’t expect civic discourse or the polls to reflect all of the people’s actual opinions.

For example, the island I live on now is similar to Silicon Valley where I used to live. You see a decent smattering of pro-Biden and BLM signs. I was informed the Trump signs are routinely taken here as there.

I am beyond grateful for the secret ballot. I’m also glad that the nonsense (all of it from anywhere and anybody) reaches a fever pitch only once every four years. :confused:

Hopefully it won’t be terribly long before I’ll be able to resume wading through the papers in search of the odd nugget of journalism. o_O
Pre-election polls seem to largely be conducted via telephone...in 2020. WTF in their right mind answers their phone in 2020?

Pre-election polls seem to largely be conducted via telephone...in 2020. WTF in their right mind answers their phone in 2020?

My iPhone informed me when the call was a "Survey," just as it does when it guesses the call is “Spam."

So, how’s about those who agree with the dominant POV? The idealists?

Remember, lots of folks talk a good line about diversity in schools when polled, but many, many still vote with their feet the other way.

Quality of posts over the past several hours is deplorable.
That’s the nicest word of warning that will be forthcoming.

~~~On edit upon reflection:

The number of Disagrees this warning has engendered suggests there are forum participants who find their senses hurt by an apposite word. I have spent a lifetime using, with great care, the English and other languages. If someone finds himself hurt by the appropriate use of a word that person might consider some self-reflection.

In further development, post quality demonstrably has thereafter improved.~~~

Last edited:
My mind is pretty much completely dumbfounded at this point on the market reaction to Tesla. Especially when you see Nio approaching a 52 billion market cap today.

If anything, Tesla should be shooting higher than the macro's the more and more likely it looks like Biden is going to win. Sure Senate will still be Republican, but it would still be a net benefit for Tesla.

Yep I pointed out the NIO valuation earlier today, just makes no sense. I don't know how many more chances the S&P committee will get, maybe they expect the market to drop further because of the election uncertainty. But this might be their last chance before the next leg up!. I guess they don't care and likely don't understand the growth story for Tesla.

If the initial China sales number for October is accurate(13.5K) I think the Shanghai plant is humming and likely producing at a rate of 20K per month.

I know in the long term it won’t matter, but days like today are extremely frustrating.
Well Tesla chances of new EV tax credit is SOL, which gives other manufacturers except GM the advantage back. Having some kind of zev credit program is also SOL. I think if US had a Biden win mandate, Tsla would be a different story. Just be glad Tsla didn't drop like a rock unlike solar stocks.

Market reaction seems reasonable. On Monday, everyone thought it was a Biden win and Democratic majority in the Senate. EV tax credits and green legislation would be great for the company.

Today, it looks like a Biden win but Republican majority, so no EV tax credits and no tax increases either. It's good news for most companies, but not especially favorable to Tesla which already had a nice run up Monday and Tuesday.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Well Tesla chances of new EV tax credit is SOL, which gives other manufacturers except GM the advantage back. Having some kind of zev credit program is also SOL. I think if US had a Biden win mandate, Tsla would be a different story. Just be glad Tsla didn't drop like a rock unlike solar stocks.

Tesla's auto delivery volume is getting to the point where they ship in a quarter all of that a "competitor" would be eligible for EV incentives, for forever (under current law).

This "advantage" to other EV producing companies will dry up extremely quickly.

Tesla's auto delivery volume is getting to the point where they ship in a quarter all of that a "competitor" would be eligible for EV incentives, for forever (under current law).

This "advantage" to other EV producing companies will dry up extremely quickly.
Just explaining today's price action, not if the drop is credible or not. The majority of tsla drops are due to bs reasons that are not material to the company.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I wonder how many politicians we have here?
Tesla performed beyond any of your wildest expectations under Trump. WAAAAAY BEYOND! And yet the concensus seems to be Tesla would do much better under an unknown leader.
The number we can't mention? Well you all must be high if you expect Tesla to benefit more from Biden than it did from Trump. It isn't the government that makes Tesla as good as it is. It is Elon. period.