Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they can start buying tomorrow during market hours. Or are you saying they cannot until S&P decides if this will be done in two tranches instead of one? I don’t understand why S&P would keep it ambiguous, surely they should realize the squeeze potential here.
The thinking is that if they are true index fund, they can’t buy funds until they are IN the index (after the first phase).

I used to dream about making a million dollars from TSLA.

Then I dreamed about making a million dollars in a single day.

I never in my wildest dreams contemplated making a million dollars in a half hour.

TSLA life is good! Congrats to everyone who has hung on to make it to tonight!

Didn't you have to lose a bunch to make this bunch?

Note that while IV will increase based on the expected SP jump tomorrow, it will still take a number of days to get up to what it will eventually get too (because the SP will no longer be stagnating). This is key for loading up for the possible squeeze as there will be a disconnect between the actual IV and the eventual IV until it does catch up. This will allow call options to be purchased cheaper than they will eventually be (irrespective of the stock price of course).

I used this same disconnect to my advantage back in January as TSLA left its 5-year range and began climbing into the 400s/500s - the IV took 1-2 weeks to really start to climb. I loaded up on way OTM calls for super-cheap and ended up with a net 40-bagger on hundreds of calls.

Long story short: I am going to buy a sh*tload of way OTM calls for December and January tomorrow morning before the IV starts to really climb high (likely will get to 100-120 again in the next couple weeks).

I think they can start buying tomorrow during market hours. Or are you saying they cannot until S&P decides if this will be done in two tranches instead of one? I don’t understand why S&P would keep it ambiguous, surely they should realize the squeeze potential here.

Actual S&P500 funds can normally only buy in the ~3 days prior to and after the inclusion date. So with inclusion being 12/21 they could start buying 12/16 and have to finish by EOD 12/24. If they decide to do two tranches there would be an additional buying period of 12/9-12/17. So they would overlap making the buying period 12/9-12/24, though half would have to be bought in the first part of the period and half in the later portion of the period. (Or they could buy it all on 12/16-12/17 and be done.)

At least that is my understanding of how it all works.

S&P estimates that $51 billion of TSLA will be bought by Index fund holders. At $408.09 per share, that's about 125M shares of TSLA that need buying.

The total MAX. float is about 770M shares (counting even those that wouldn't sell, but technically COULD sell).

125/770 ~ 16% of TSLA's float will be up for grabs between now and Dec 21st. That's gonna leave a mark... :p

Merry Christmas!

Untitled1.jpg

Bought my second call last week. A 11/20. It has lost most of its value this morning. So these things don’t trade after hours? Assuming a 430 strike will be about $3500?
Yes you will be very happy tomorrow.