Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hard is it clarify the "expect delivery in 2-4 weeks" on their own damn website.

This one spins me. First thought it was real and I was concerned. How can this not ramp now, I thought? What about all the people I met in line last year?

My next thought was that this confusion was a byproduct of a market survey - a device to measure demand covertly - If you didn't have to wait for delivery, how many could they sell?

When this stock goes crazy, I come here and everyone lines up the facts and all is clear. Not this time... must be something brewing.

By the way, where are we building Model Y and how long before one rolls off the line. (SWAG based on previous models? Thanks.)

Confused but bought again today anyway.

Is that sell a car or own a dealership? Because the former would violate the US constitution, while the latter is kinda obnoxious in a free market but legal.
It's sell through a dealer, owned or not. It might violate the Constitution, but you have to prove it in court 52 times, and then through the Federal court system, and if it gets to the Supreme Court, with the climate deniers they're likely to favour the dealer associations just to kill Tesla. And even if the decision falls in Tesla's favour, it's a Phyrric victory.

The auto market in the US is not expanding, and soon the China market will dwarf normal growth curves. Their upper middle class will grow. India will be the primary manufacturing source after the next decade, and then their upper middle class will grow...
Yeah, I talking about unrestrained growth in carbon emissions. The US thumbs its nose at the Paris Accord. #EXXONKNEW

Tesla Registration Stats 122 registered so far today ..

Update 132 ..com on end of quarter surge ;)
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 2.21.14 PM.png

The investors who lend Tesla money are bond holders, their kind got paid in full the other day.

Shareholders on the other hand have each bought a piece of the company, they have not lent any money to Tesla.

Unless something changed there is another 566 million due in November. So no, not all of the debt obligations are fulfilled. I commented that banks hold Tesla debt and I'm pretty sure that's still the case. Most of the bondholders are, I believe, institutional investors and banks.

• Disagree
Reactions: lklundin
@winfield100 Hey, brother! How is your 'accumulate line' graph looking these days? Where do you get that thing? I'm wondering if some big funds are scooping up TSLA shares currently.

Cheers!
i use both Schwab and Excel formula
@Artful Dodger i do not know how to interpret

upload_2019-3-5_14-22-49.png

5 day oscillator of Accum/ Dist line
upload_2019-3-5_14-27-31.png

Last edited:
Woohoo - Superchargers coming to Iceland!!!!

Tesla fundaði með OR um hraðhleðslustöðvar

Short summary: It's been confirmed that Tesla is discussions with a power company, a charging station operator, and various government officials about setting up a Supercharger network.
Great! But I think calling about five nodes (total guess) a "network", while technically correct, sounds a bit grandiose.;)

Woohoo - Superchargers coming to Iceland!!!!

Tesla fundaði með OR um hraðhleðslustöðvar

Short summary: It's been confirmed that Tesla is discussions with a power company, a charging station operator, and various government officials about setting up a Supercharger network.

Voluntarily building a new Supercharger network on an island of 338k people is exactly what a company desperate for cash would do.

Jokes aside, that's great news for you! Should be a small but sales dense market for them.

It's sell through a dealer, owned or not. It might violate the Constitution, but you have to prove it in court 52 times, and then through the Federal court system, and if it gets to the Supreme Court, with the climate deniers they're likely to favour the dealer associations just to kill Tesla. And even if the decision falls in Tesla's favour, it's a Phyrric victory.

Right, but the key thing I’m talking about is selling directly online, without any dealer involved. That’d be awfully difficult to stop and there’s no such ban(as far as I can see) on the books in any state.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Is that sell a car or own a dealership? Because the former would violate the US constitution, while the latter is kinda obnoxious in a free market but legal.

The way I understand it (and IANAL), this all has its origin in contract law - the car makers and the car dealers have agreed contractually to limitations on what car makers can and can't do. The car dealers, realizing that contracts expire and can be changed (and maybe realizing that new car makers haven't also signed on to the cozy relationship), have also managed to get this relationship written into state laws as well.

It varies state to state - the most typical expression of the relationship is sort of like "if you have franchised dealers as a car maker, then you can only sell through franchised dealers". In a few states, a few words were artfully dropped, and it got turned into "you can only sell through franchised dealers" (which is why Tesla doesn't have a retail, and in some cases educational, service, or any other presence in those states).

Many of us believe that if Tesla keeps pushing on those laws, the eventual conclusion of these more extreme variants is that they will be ruled unconstitutional.

A reasonable question for Tesla to ask of itself is whether it wants to spend money on lawyers and lobbyists trying to change these franchise laws that the rest of the auto makers have hung about their necks. If Tesla can sell cars effectively in the US via online web ordering / sales, at least for the next few years, maybe Tesla lets the dealerships and the rest of the car dealers hang with their franchise laws and see how far Tesla can go without spending money or energy on it.

For my own part, I kind of like this point of view. There are enough states with sufficient flexibility in their car sales laws to allow Tesla room to operate.

And yes, the restraint on trade represented by the car dealership / franchise laws is kind of obnoxious in a free market. I totally agree with you on that. There's some reason for the beginning of the laws - the car makers were pretty obnoxious in the early days of the car market and the laws were formulated to protect dealers from the manufacturers. Like any good batch of laws though, they were captured and turned from shields into weapons for insuring market position for car dealers. (that's how I see it anyway)

@winfield100 Hey, brother! How is your 'accumulate line' graph looking these days? Where do you get that thing? I'm wondering if some big funds are scooping up TSLA shares currently.

Cheers!
@Artful Dodger
here's how to calc Accum/dist line and oscillator (col S) CLV is raw num Accum/Dist is just sum of CLV over time it's moving up but got trashed recently. Schwab will do calcs for you BUT its nice to verify SO
i get raw data from NASDAQ....... but acting upon it is a mystery to me apparently, eh.
upload_2019-3-5_14-36-34.png

Last edited:
Right, but the key thing I’m talking about is selling directly online, without any dealer involved. That’d be awfully difficult to stop and there’s no such ban(as far as I can see) on the books in any state.

I believe some states block Tesla from opening service centers, and New Mexico is one. That remains a serious barrier to online sales, even if they can deliver a car to your doorstep. Ranger service is available from neighboring states but not a great solution.