Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what do you think guys, will tomorrow Supercharger v3 get any press attention?

yes, but the article will focus on how the fully operational and deployed Tesla Supercharger is inferior to a computer rendering of a charger Harley-Davidson claims it could be prototyping as early as 2025. (i made that up but you get the idea)

For California and the other states aligned with CARB, the major automakers need "ZEV" credits from the sale of EVs. If they can't generate enough of their own ZEV credits, then they have to buy them from Tesla.
They can just buy from the EV subsidiary they spun off.

In any case, OEMs need dealers for service. I don't see legacy OEMs doing away with dealers any time soon. They may come up with some unappealing hack for "buying" online, but people have to still go to dealerships to actually buy the car. Dealers may still compete on price etc. Afterall, this is how Nissan sold Leaf in 2011.

yes, but the article will focus on how the fully operational and deployed Tesla Supercharger is inferior to a computer rendering of a charger Harley-Davidson claims it could be prototyping as early as 2025.

I fully expect articles to highlight the cost associated with upgrading the supercharger network at a time when the company is facing a "cash crunch". Really, I do.

Problem with direct online sales is, automakers would be competing against their dealers. If they sell at MSRP, people will still go to dealers to get a better price. If they undercut the dealers on price, dealers go out of business causing huge backlash. No good options.

Perhaps. I keep hearing dealers make most of their money from service, so perhaps there is a middle ground (i.e centralized sales, distributed delivery and service) if both sides are willing to move a bit. The problem is neither side is willing to be flexible right now. It will probably take some kind of hammer to force change.

Wow, you bought without a Supercharger network? That's awesome!
And congrats!

IMG_3174.jpg

Some of us bought when there was very little "network" here in the US - this is mid 2013...

Not a lot of people know this, but after the public conference call that us plebes can listen to, analysts call back in and have private 1-1 calls with management where they get to ask more questions. So Rosner may very well have gotten his info then.

Correct, they can privately ask questions to clarify. What's management can't while it provides those clarifications, is selective disclosure. If the part of reply management gives in private is market sensitive, it must disclose that info to every one at the same time.

Update on the missing transcript issue:

"yo @Tesla & @elonmusk why was there a press call about the $35K model 3 that was closed to the public (and shareholders!!) w/ no transcript released. super frustrating for long-term supporters. completely goes against democratization of information and financial markets"

Elon: "Tesla comms is fixing. That was a mistake."

I really hope we'll get to read the whole transscript. I don't like depending on shorts for that..

Yeah this was a pretty stupid mistake.

How can you afford not to invest in TSLA?

Well they aren't building rockets ;)

Perhaps. I keep hearing dealers make most of their money from service, so perhaps there is a middle ground (i.e centralized sales, distributed delivery and service) if both sides are willing to move a bit. The problem is neither side is willing to be flexible right now. It will probably take some kind of hammer to force change.
I expect some kind of change in the next round of legacy car manufacturer bankruptcies.

Dealerships giving up control over retail sales won't happen voluntarily I'm afraid, the hidden profit center for car dealerships is not service, but F&I (Financing and Insurance):

What is a Car Dealership Finance Manager? | Financial Careers

"A dealership’s margins on the actual vehicle sales are quite low. For example, a Ford Fiesta car sale earns a dealership less than $500.2 So dealerships look to their F&I (finance and insurance) departments to make up the difference."

"the national average for an F&I manager was $118,897."

"In Texas, the average was even higher $135,491 (perhaps the lack of a state income tax provided the discretionary spending tailwind). As you can see, it can be a very lucrative job."​

Even Amazon shied away from selling cars online.

"Peace was never an option."

Last edited:
Looking at what press attention is doing to SP, I hope not.

As I mentioned in the past, it seems that in recent memory, any non-end of quarter news announcement made by Musk has generally resulted in SP dropping. Whether because the announcement was made on an overall market down day, or due to FUD spin or factually not good news...doesn’t matter.

It seems as though the following events generally lead to higher SP:
1. Solid financial quarter results
2. No news
3. Musk teasing/hyping something completely unknown on Twitter

In fact, I wished Musk didn’t mention next week’s reveal to be about the Model Y. I bet the suspense would have raised the SP like all the previous times—even if the result was a dud regarding SP.

For California and the other states aligned with CARB, the major automakers need "ZEV" credits from the sale of EVs. If they can't generate enough of their own ZEV credits, then they have to buy them from Tesla.

"If you don't like volatility you shouldn't own our stock." -- Elon Musk

Tesla.

Actually, they have to buy them from somebody that's excess ZEV credits, Tesla being one example. Or buy them for $5000 each from CARB directly, which has the effect of setting an upper bound on what anybody can get for their credits when they sell them.

But "Tesla" is a pretty good short hand, as the other makers generating a surplus are also selling gas engine cars and likely to be banking their excess ZEV credits for a few years into the future when the requirements ramp, and in case they can't get those requirements lowered.

I take back my comment that India's premium car market is too small for Tesla to bother. There are more millionaires in Mumbai than the population of Iceland ;)

India doesn't have the world's second highest rate of EV adoption and a high per-capita income, with incentives that make an EV about 40% cheaper than a comparable ICE vehicle.

If they run Superchargers around the Ring Road and build a small service centre in Reykjavík, with mobile service for the rest of the country, their sales will make it more than worth their while.

This is interesting -- Ballie Gifford telegraphing that Musk stepping down as CEO to take a different role within the company wouldn't cause them concern.

Top Tesla Shareholder Says Elon Musk ‘Doesn’t Need to Be CEO’

“We wouldn’t be against him having a different role,” James Anderson, head of global equities for Ballie Gifford, told Barron’s on Tuesday. “I don’t think he needs to be CEO.”

Anderson was answering a question about how Musk’s circumstances could change given the Securities and Exchange Commission’s request to a federal court to find Musk in contempt.

Anderson said Musk was essential to Tesla, but he suggested that the company’s founder could play some other role within the company, such as taking on a “chief ideologue” position.

A Tesla spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Seen a few posts defending Tesla and essentially saying it's not their responsibility to respond to changes in the share price.

I could not disagree with this more right now. I'm all for Tesla going the Amazon route and going for growth. If closing the stores in order to lower the price to support their expanded production rates is what it takes, that's fine with me.

But Tesla does owe a responsibility to shareholders to not harm the value of the company. Tesla and Elon are the one's putting out confusing and contradicting things and then staying silent over the next 3 trading days while the value of the company cratered. Tesla is the one holding private media calls and then making comments to analysts off the record about margins/profitability/etc while being silent on those things in public. Radio......silence...…..from Tesla so far about how orders are going, demand etc... They don't have to be specific but they can give simple statements to easily re-direct the narrative and stop the really outrageous FUD going on or just simple statements to clarify their own confusing comments from the 35k model 3 reveal. How hard is it clarify the "expect delivery in 2-4 weeks" on their own damn website. We're hearing reports from on the ground about delivery being much longer than that. We have Tesla giving a rather low/conservative production guidance while at the same time registering a insane amount of Vin's and Elon giving much, much higher guidance in the media call (that wasn't reported on in the media one bit and was apparently not even on the transcript if I remember correctly...)

Just to be clear, I actually don't put all the blame on Elon this time. I'm actually just as upset with the Tesla board.

The share price is recovering.....oh yippie that's great. I'm so happy Wall St was able to so easily construct a panic to drive the price lower for them buy(and likely cover A LOT) using Tesla's own PR/Communication blunders and confusing statements.

Just in case you guys can't tell based on this post and the one I made earlier......I'm pretty upset lol.
Are you a new investor by any chance?

If they don't make the sale, they won't get the service. How many people take the car to a dealer they didn't purchase from? (Unless they move to another location or some such.)