Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford/GM/FCA doesn't have to idle pickup truck production. Even during the pandemic.

Not current but: Ford focuses on slimming down inventory (autonews.com)

During the first week of 2017, Ford idled its Kansas City Assembly Plant as it tried to pare down its F-150 pickup and Transit van inventory.

And of course they didn't have to idle production during the pandemic, but they did just shut everything down which depleted the available inventory.

Awesome history of Tesla. Worth watching.

Thank you for posting this! This is AMAZING and truly a window on Tesla and the way they do stuff!

Definitely everyone should watch it! It's a history lesson and a management lesson.

I'm always amazed how Elon talks about ALL the things his companies are doing, at the highest level, from batteries to the brain implants, and how he treats the members of the teams.

They are so good because they are truly enjoying solving hard problems! Like Drew said! Drew is an amazing problem solver and I think he will take over from Elon. I can't see anyone more suitable for that role at Tesla.

Funny how 4 years aged all of them! The hardest years are behind, but they will solve whatever will come their way! Truly amazing!

I expect Elon Musk will grow Tesla’s market cap to whatever level necessary to build a city on Mars with his CEO compensation. Not joking

Such an endeavor will cost at least $1 trillion, and Elon owns about 1/6 of Tesla - so that seems about right. 10x from here.
Sure.
But even as Elon pushes SpaceX hard, getting even a handful of humans to Mars, and then living there will take a lot of time. Even in a very optimistic scenario perhaps a couple of hundred highly skilled people can live there semi-permanently, by 2040, building infrastructure, and boot-strapping a city an the future Mars economy. Remember, the don't just need to survive. They need a f*ckton of industrial equipment and spare parts for building whole factories from scratch. Then real colonization can start from the mid forty's and onward. All this can likely be financed by SpaceX, with a healthy dose of Starlink money. No need to touch Tesla stock.
By 2045 Tesla will probably have transitioned from insane/hyper growth to merely around 10-15% growth a year. That is a good time for dividends.
And those dividends will be so *huge* - and recurring - that they can finance colonization of Mars for many decades. Not sure Elon will ever need to sell stocks, even to finance mankind's permanent presence on another planet!
That puts his future wealth - and Tesla's future value in perspective. He is generating civilization-changing wealth and progress. And we are privileged to watch in awe, applaud - and collect a few coins along the way.

Just received the Canadian version of the Cybertruck email.

Though the US one has been posted before, this one is interesting because it gives us a window into Cybertruck ramp up / when Tesla is planning Canadian Cybertruck deliveries.

TL;DR Confirms what most have suspected with Canadian Cybertruck deliveries as "Several months behind" (the US deliveries - I presume.)

"I see you have a reservation for a Cybertruck. We’re excited to have you join the Tesla family! I thought I would update you on the production timeline for Cybertruck and let you know of some great opportunities to bridge the gap in Tesla ownership in the meantime!

The single motor configuration is currently planned to begin production in late 2022 with deliveries to take place in 2023 in the US.

The dual and tri-motor configurations are currently planned to begin production in late 2021 with deliveries to take place in early 2022 in the US.

As Canada will be several months behind, a lot of Cybertruck reservation holders have been taking 24-36 month leases on our current vehicles to enjoy the benefits of a Tesla sooner.

The Standard Range+ Model 3 for example is still available for $8000 in EV rebates/incentives in British Columbia!

With low financing and leasing rates for vehicles delivered in December, you could get into a Model 3 for under $570/month. Hurry though - as the BC rebate is winding down.​

Since some of you have reached out to me around my new margin rate, here goes:

I've been with E*trade for 8 years, mostly with a company stock plan, but in the past couple years a small margin trading account and very recently a rollover IRA. Once I started to use margin consistently, I realized I needed to research how to lower my cost on it - that's when I found Interactive Brokers and their advertised rate that was about 5.5% lower. I tried to negotiate with E*trade to no avail and so I've decided to move both accounts over to IB and it was a painless and very smooth process (via ACATS transfer, took about 4-5 business days).

Please note that you will NOT be able to trade from start of transfer till end or even +1 business day
You might want to wait until Jan with this move, considering TSLA's upcoming party.

A couple days later, an E*trade consultant reached out to me from the Cupertino office via phone call AND email and suggested we have a chat about the move. I told him my primary concern was margin rate, and secondary was customer service wait times. He suggested that we try to get an approval for a rate he got for a client recently (1.94%) and I was excited to do that. A week later, the margin rate got approved and I'm in the process of moving the funds back. IB is blocking the transfer for another week and then should be okay. He is in constant touch with me via email and he suggested we discuss a line of credit on my margin account also, once all is resolved (at supposedly a MUCH better rate than 1.94% on the LoC).

All in all, this was surprising for me as E*trade straight up told me beforehand that they would NOT be able to negotiate.

Also, this is related from Twitter:

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 11.11.59 AM.png

Needless to say, just this little move back-and-forth saved me more money monthly, than my Model Y payments.
Since I use my margin account as a checking account (house / car / credit card payments), this will help a lot in the long run.

FYI the combined account balance is ~$1M, nothing huge compared to some of yours' out there.

Good luck and I hope you can save some $ with this advice.

Pennsylvania is the third largest coal producer in the US and coal is the second largest energy generation source after natural gas which has grown dramatically with low prices brought on by fracking.

So I imagine a lot of people there would love a car that could run, at least partially, on locally sourced coal! ;)
Your stats is stale bro!

Screenshot_20201205-141050.png

Related to this, the NASDAQ net order imbalance indicator for closing is released every five seconds from 3:55 to 4:00. So those with access to the data (I don't) may wish to follow it for the last five minutes of trading on the 18th and a trial run on the 11th.

https://data.nasdaq.com/pdf/noii_support.pdf

Why would a Tesla investor want to follow that data on a minute-by-minute basis? o_O

Since some of you have reached out to me around my new margin rate, here goes:

I've been with E*trade for 8 years, mostly with a company stock plan, but in the past couple years a small margin trading account and very recently a rollover IRA. Once I started to use margin consistently, I realized I needed to research how to lower my cost on it - that's when I found Interactive Brokers and their advertised rate that was about 5.5% lower. I tried to negotiate with E*trade to no avail and so I've decided to move both accounts over to IB and it was a painless and very smooth process (via ACATS transfer, took about 4-5 business days).

Please note that you will NOT be able to trade from start of transfer till end or even +1 business day
You might want to wait until Jan with this move, considering TSLA's upcoming party.

A couple days later, an E*trade consultant reached out to me from the Cupertino office via phone call AND email and suggested we have a chat about the move. I told him my primary concern was margin rate, and secondary was customer service wait times. He suggested that we try to get an approval for a rate he got for a client recently (1.94%) and I was excited to do that. A week later, the margin rate got approved and I'm in the process of moving the funds back. IB is blocking the transfer for another week and then should be okay. He is in constant touch with me via email and he suggested we discuss a line of credit on my margin account also, once all is resolved (at supposedly a MUCH better rate than 1.94% on the LoC).

All in all, this was surprising for me as E*trade straight up told me beforehand that they would NOT be able to negotiate.

Also, this is related from Twitter:

View attachment 614789

Needless to say, just this little move back-and-forth saved me more money monthly, than my Model Y payments.
Since I use my margin account as a checking account (house / car / credit card payments), this will help a lot in the long run.

FYI the combined account balance is ~$1M, nothing huge compared to some of yours' out there.

Good luck and I hope you can save some $ with this advice.

Good info. I’m in the middle of a home refinance. Might as well just pay off the mortgage with margin at 2%

Just received the Canadian version of the Cybertruck email.

Though the US one has been posted before, this one is interesting because it gives us a window into Cybertruck ramp up / when Tesla is planning Canadian Cybertruck deliveries.

TL;DR Confirms what most have suspected with Canadian Cybertruck deliveries as "Several months behind" (the US deliveries - I presume.)

"I see you have a reservation for a Cybertruck. We’re excited to have you join the Tesla family! I thought I would update you on the production timeline for Cybertruck and let you know of some great opportunities to bridge the gap in Tesla ownership in the meantime!

The single motor configuration is currently planned to begin production in late 2022 with deliveries to take place in 2023 in the US.

The dual and tri-motor configurations are currently planned to begin production in late 2021 with deliveries to take place in early 2022 in the US.

As Canada will be several months behind, a lot of Cybertruck reservation holders have been taking 24-36 month leases on our current vehicles to enjoy the benefits of a Tesla sooner.

The Standard Range+ Model 3 for example is still available for $8000 in EV rebates/incentives in British Columbia!

With low financing and leasing rates for vehicles delivered in December, you could get into a Model 3 for under $570/month. Hurry though - as the BC rebate is winding down.​
Classic. Elon is aggressive with the time line in the conference calls but tame on advertisement emails. The truth is probably somewhere in between when it comes to cybertrucks deliveries.

All this talk about FSD price made me think of my now 4 year old FSD purchase. Had I bought TSLA with that money instead, it would be worth $420,000 today. :eek:

‘And, still don’t have FSD, not even beta FSD, yet. :(

I'm confused on the math. $420,000 = approximately 700 shares. Pre-split, that's 140. The stock price back then was around $200. So 140 X $200 = $28,000! I didn't know they charged that much for FSD back then ;-)

The reality is it was $3,000 above EAP back then at time of purchase, and $4,000 if you bought it after. But your point is valid, that if you put the $4,000 into Tesla stock at $200/share, it'd be worth $60,000!!!

BTW, it's gone up 15x since the $200 stock price pre-split, so just take your car purchase, your vacation costs, etc. and times it by 15, and then start crying...

I don't think the shorts provided long-term buying or selling pressure. Well, maybe a few percent of the float. So they are not funding your early retirement, but rather are just quickening your aging process beforehand.

Even long-term investors have a start date to their investment as well as an average cost basis. I got my toes wet with small buys of 100 shares at a time in 2018 in the $300's level. As the price started dropping in the first half of 2019 I started building a serious position. A full-on short attack brought the price to an unbelievable level well under $200. The reason this was significant is because I could see TSLA's future was actually getting stronger with each passing quarter as the cost to produce continued it's predictable decline (meaning the amount of risk my invested capital was at was declining).

The short sellers saw this as an opportunity to put Tesla under and were shorting harder than ever and the FUD ran thick. I bought some more at $230, more at $220 and waited patiently until shortly after it bottomed at $179 at which point I went "all in" and doubled my total position at $184. I didn't know for sure that was the bottom but it was so incredibly cheap (relative to the risk/reward) I didn't care. The fact that it might not have been the bottom didn't matter - I'm a long-term investor.:)

There is no way in hell I would have the position I have today if it were not for the aggressive nature of the short-sellers and the idiotic way they continually moved the goal-posts. My early retirement in 1999 was funded by MU (the maker of my first laptop), MSFT, SBUX and finally, QCOM. But there is no doubt that short-sellers have added in a HUGE way to my retirement account. I couldn't have done this well without them.

I've always believed in the concept behind the popular saying "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!". There is no doubt in my mind that despicable people were behind most of the dollars shorting TSLA but that it was possible to turn that into an advantage in more ways than one. So a big shout-out to all the TSLA short-sellers! :D

And cheers to all TSLA longs! :)

I'm confused on the math. $420,000 = approximately 700 shares. Pre-split, that's 140. The stock price back then was around $200. So 140 X $200 = $28,000! I didn't know they charged that much for FSD back then ;-)

The reality is it was $3,000 above EAP back then at time of purchase, and $4,000 if you bought it after. But your point is valid, that if you put the $4,000 into Tesla stock at $200/share, it'd be worth $60,000!!!

BTW, it's gone up 15x since the $200 stock price pre-split, so just take your car purchase, your vacation costs, etc. and times it by 15, and then start crying...
Duh! I did a quick chart lookup on google for the SP on Dec 30, 2016 (wasn’t following TSLA back then, sadly) and it read $42.74. Never even gave a thought it was adjusted for the recent split! :oops:

Thanks for the correction. Yeah, didn’t remember exactly how much it cost, and had a vague recollection it was about $6K (too lazy to go look it up) but that was probably both EAP/FSD. Sigh.

Oh, and like baseball, there’s no crying in the market, unless you’re TSLAQ!

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger