Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just in time for s&p inclusion capping.

Not to say there won't be swings and up/down wild swings this upcoming week, but I seriously doubt the usual "capping" we've seen in the past will be a factor at all. You need low volume, especially on the buy side to effectively cap. Next week will be anything but low volume.

Really, any news that comes out tonight or during next week will have zero impact on how the stock trades all of next week and the week after.....minus Tesla filing for bankruptcy. The trading is purely going to be based on index buying volume, front running selling volumes, and options.

Last edited:
I think I’ve hit a nerve and I definitely don’t want to be a Tesla party pooper..

I’m an engineer by trade and am a very active investor in individual stocks - the Performance MY I bought this year is the best car I’ve ever owned! But I digress and I’m glad we can have a discussion about the future of Tesla!

To address your points!

1.) Yes talk is cheap! However, you can’t deny what is happening in the industry today. Volvo is committed to moving all electric.. Volkswagen is outselling Tesla in Europe with the ID.3, Ford has committed a $11.5B spend on EV and the Mach E and Hummer EV are coming out this year. Most if not all manufactures are realizing the advantages of electrification and it is happening!

2.) I am definitely not a battery expert - but they are essentially a cathode and anode in an electrolyte. There is space for improvements and the recent solid state developments in batteries are quite promising (and not owned by Tesla). I find it hard that there would be any scarcity in battery supply - this is simply a manufacturing issue with no reason (that I can think of) of why production couldn’t ramp up with demand. It’s not feasible that Tesla would try to “buy” all the world’s battery production to keep them away from competitors even if this was possible.

3.) Saying all other car manufactures don’t have the capability for engineering or manufacturing is not true! They’ve been at it for a much longer time and it’ll be hard for Tesla to match the build quality of Audi and Mercedes EV.

Tesla does have a lead.. they also have real world self driving feedback that other manufactures don’t have.. This lead is why Tesla will have a great 2021. I think everyone can agree there are other EVs on the market today and there will be many more a year from now. They will all have a version of self driving, have 300-600 mile range, same performance and tech. What will Tesla’s advantage be at that point and how can Tesla maintain the majority of the market share they will need to justify the market cap.

I know it’s not a favourable scenario.. but as other manufactures EV sales start to climb the market will realize Tesla can’t maintain the market share needed to justify the astronomical share price.
I am answering because I _think_ you are well intended. Typical trolls don't give Tesla as much credit as you've done.
Having said that, and me being Engineer myself (well, VP Eng.), and observing Tesla for 6 years now, I feel you are very wrong in not recognizing Tesla's advantages. You seem to be relatively new, and haven't had experience of working in a dramatic, well run startup that grows 100x-1000x.

It's likely you will need time to understand Tesla. In 2015, after thousands of hours of research, I've concluded tesla will slay the rest of the auto industry, and that is now foregone conclusion. I've gone 100% (and more) TSLA at the time. I am nowadays even more certain Tesla is unstoppable related to other industries, as momentum, brand and talent they have is order of magnitude greater than their 'competition'. Honestly, government don't see it yet, but they better start thinking about breaking Tesla up before it eats several industries... How? I have some insights, but I don't really need to know - there are gays and gals smarter than me at Tesla, thinking and working on it every day...

No idea when the 4680's are coming out, but some food for thought:

There's a ton of job postings related to battery cell manufacturing in Berlin. This is makes sense as the first product (Model Y) will use them from the start. I believe we expect first production to possibly happen before Q3 2021, correct?

It would seem unlikely that Berlin Model Y's would being using 4680's before Fremont S/X. I would guess end of Q1.

Another observation - there are way fewer cell job posts for Austin. This makes sense as Model Y there will likely be using 2170s for now, and they only will start ramping up battery cell hires within some timeframe of Cybertruck production (6-9 months?).

Yeah, I've speculated about this here previously, on Sep 18, 2020: (you 'Liked' it)

Me right now
upload_2020-12-13_22-55-23.jpeg

but to be fair, September was over 1000 pages ago.

Don't expect TSLA share price volatility to go down for a long time.

And S&P500 inclusion won't make it better, it might make it worse!

Why?

I think people confound S&P500 inclusion as causing stability in companies' valuations, when in fact it's probably just correlated. Companies that join S&P aren't usually growing so fast, so by the time they make it, they are stably profitable, not growing too quickly, so everyone has a relatively clear framework for how to value them. The price doesn't go crazy.

Tesla doesn't follow that. Yes they are increasing profitability, so the downside risk is less, but the sheer growth potential is still huge and the massive amount of upside will still cause huge swings in stock price as perceptions change.

As for inclusion, I did this thought experiment that maybe y'all can poke holes in. Imagine funds had to buy 90% of the free float. Heck, say there was only a million shares available for trading. That means share price / valuation would be dependent of a handful of people and could have even bigger swings. No way that would reduce volatility!

So maybe Tesla stock will be even more volatile until it stops rapidly growing and disrupting trillion dollar markets.

When's that going to happen? ;)

Another observation - there are way fewer cell job posts for Austin. This makes sense as Model Y there will likely be using 2170s for now, and they only will start ramping up battery cell hires within some timeframe of Cybertruck production (6-9 months?).

IMO it is more likely Austin will be using 4680s for the start of Model Y production.

There are a limited number of 2170s, so it is hard to expand production volumes unless Panasonic can add more lines in Nevada.

My guess is they will advertise cell positions for Austin in the new year. Hiring this time of year doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: hoang51 and wtlloyd
Found this over on Reddit in the comments section by someone who claims to work on the S/X battery line. Looks potentially legit, Plaid staying with the 18650 cells.

View attachment 617428

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...c_reporting_model_sx_lines_shutting_down_for/

Technically speaking, I think a structural pack just needs steel cans for strength, in fact more steel cans may be stronger.
A structural pack will more than offset any additional weight from the steel.

Technically speaking, I think a structural pack just needs steel cans for strength, in fact more steel cans may be stronger.
A structural pack will more than offset any additional weight from the steel.

My understanding is the cells need to be tabless to enable cooling from the top & bottom instead of the sides in a structural pack. I don’t think there are any plans for tabless 18650 but who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: saniflash and MC3OZ