Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The selling we see is a good indicator that not everyone is in Tsla for some kind of S&P squeeze.
Did you look at the "selling" at 11:27 AM today? This is a bear raid, short-style, pure'n'simple. Just look at the volume during the rapid plunges: (7x macros).

TSLA.chart.2020-12-15.11-27.png

Nothing to do with shareholders selling; everything to do with scaring weak longs into selling. Every share purchased since 11-30 this morning has been at a discount, courtesy of aggressive shorting.

That's how they manipulate the SP, and control trading.

Not only that, but I still can't get an answer on when the index buying will end. If you follow Gary Black on Twitter, it seems like Friday close. Others suggest buying will go on for several days next week. Knowing what will actually happen would make a big difference on how the next 7 days should be played. I feel like I have my hands tied behind my back because I still don't know....

It will end when they have added enough shares to be the designated weight in their fund that matches the weight of the stock in the S&P 500 index.

That might be Friday at close. It might be later if shares are somehow really hard to come by Friday as some suggest (but of which I'm pretty dubious).

As to how much later, for some funds it can't be later than 3 business days, others have more flexibility. There's no reason to suspect they'd need it though as the total # of shares needed is less than 3 days of TSLA average volume.

But again it's explicitly in their own interests to add as close to the actual inclusion as possible as doing otherwise risks drift from index results- hence why historically inclusion buying almost all happens close on Friday.

Did you look at the "selling" at 11:27 AM today? This is a bear raid, short-style, pure'n'simple. Just look at the volume during the rapid plunges: (7x macros).

View attachment 617989

Nothing to do with shareholders selling; everything to do with scaring weak longs into selling. Every share purchased since 11-30 this morning has been at a discount, courtesy of aggressive shorting.

That's how they manipulate the SP, and control trading.
But why the low volume?

The one thing US Govt policy could do would be to encourage charging infrastructure. It doesn't look like any of the carmakers are going to tackle it the way Tesla did. It's still the number one reason I wouldn't even consider a non-Tesla EV.

edit: Like Curt said.

Actually, the other car makers perhaps have played it smart.

Uncle Sam will cover their costs fully and they can focus on Capexing product only whereby TSLA has been required to divert resources for their network.

I’m not convinced this is a net positive for TSLA stock price.

A close of ~$639 would only serve to make me more confused by the below screenshot I took this AM.

I'm dumb so likely missing something here. Would a "trade" explain this move?

View attachment 617991

Could that Stock Exchange Code "DF" stand for Deutschland Frankfurt? If so, there's the possibility that it's not a realtime trade entry, just catch-up submitted from yesterday's after-hrs session (note that's yesterday's Closing SP).

There's no way this many shares can exchange hands in after hours on Friday without the indexers having some kind of an agreement with another party to buy those shares in after hours at the closing price. But that being said, I also don't see why they would not arrange an agreement just like that in order to get the price they need to match the benchmark exactly.

Uncle Sam will cover their costs fully and they can focus on Capexing product only whereby TSLA has been required to divert resources for their network.

That's all fine and dandy that Uncle Sam will cover the costs...but the question is how 'long' will this take to implement? The Tesla supercharger network will continue to expand while they twiddle their thumbs fighting on awarding contracts to construct this charging infrastructure.

Lol, having a 15 year head start is a net positive for Tesla... ;)

Runt.jpg

Cheers!

I would HOPE that a subset of these chargers would be Tesla-compatible. Either that or Tesla finally provides CCS-Tesla adapters. This would at least speed the effective expansion of Tesla-compatible infrastructure at little expense (to Tesla).

Reactions: Artful Dodger

I agree that this is not a net positive for Tesla as bears will use this to attack Tesla's competition is coming narrative.

However, the tesla superchargers are revenue generating assets. They might be more reliable, easier to use, faster charging, and cheaper to charge as it's an enclosed system. Also Tesla's cars should be compatible with government sponsored charging station, essentially doubling the charge spots as that advantage will always be there.

But like all things that are a Tesla's competitive advantage today, one by one they will all fall because Elon already predicted this and said Tesla's only competitive advantage in the future will be their manufacturing prowess.

Reactions: X Fan
I can't imagine Tesla is will build anywhere in England. What would be the point? It's not an enormous market. It does not have easy access to raw materials. It may or may not have access to the European market without trade barriers. Labor is not especially inexpensive. Logistics for supply chain and deliveries cannot be better than somewhere in central Europe. It might give easier export access to USA, but we'll have plenty of terafactories here to service the domestic market. I don't understand the play.

I don't understand either. Nonetheless this rumour got a lot of traction after Elon flew to Luton last June to visit a potential Gigafactory site in Bristol according to local media. Elon Musk ‘considering gigafactory for Bristol’ to boost production of electric vehicles

I would HOPE that a subset of these chargers would be Tesla-compatible. Either that or Tesla finally provides CCS-Tesla adapters. This would at least speed the effective expansion of Tesla-compatible infrastructure at little expense (to Tesla).
100% chance they won't be Tesla-compatible (without a Tesla supplied adapter). However, speed of implementation, quality of maintenance (I suspect set 'em and forget 'em), power available at each stall, and quantity of charging stalls at each location will play a big part. I don't expect miracles here. Worst case a Federal tax for every EV owner to pay for this.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D