Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about this since Elon mentioned the 8,000 ton casting machine in the Q3 call... if the CT is an exoskeleton engineered vehicle make from folded/bent stainless sheet steel. What would a casting machine... er... cast?

And similarly, the sheet steel isn't stamped/pressed, it's laser-cut then scored/bent...
The castings for the cybertruck will be a subframe for the rear and possibly the floorpan of the truck as well.

One thing that I have been pondering on the earnings announcement. On page 8 of the shareholder deck, the Texas Model Y capacity is "under construction" but the Cybertruck capacity is "in development."

Taken literally, this seems to suggest that the gigafactory under construction is for the Model Y only and that we soon will see groundbreaking on a second gigafactory building, with completion expected by the end of the year.

This out-of-cadence construction will be interesting to watch. It will also be interesting to see the relative size of the two gigafactories.

I'm leaning towards Austin phase 1 having the room and facilities to build the Cybertruck.

That is why I zeroed in n the Gigapress casting machines yesterday, if the machines being currently installed are bigger than the Fremont machines, that probably means they are for Cybertruck, and plans are well advanced.

I think "in development" means they are still working out exactly how to build it, they might know where they are going to built it, and most of the equipment they will need, some phases might even need a bit of trial-and-error refinement,. Once they have scaled production on one Cybervechicle others will be easier.

Model Y should be more or less a carbon copy of Berlin, hence way more straight-forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
That is why I zeroed in n the Gigapress casting machines yesterday, if the machines being currently installed are bigger than the Fremont machines, that probably means they are for Cybertruck, and plans are well advanced.

I can't find the photo, but I thought it was confirmed that the IDRA press delivered to Austin was 6000-series, not 8000-series.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ
Didn't that have something to do with the permits in Berlin though? Seem to remember that. But certainly seems early to start machine assembly in Austin.

But the earlier the better as long as they can keep them safe from weather.

I'm not sure, but permitting is slowing Berlin down.

From Berlin it looks like they can install 6000 series machines with the building mostly built.

At Austin it looks like it is more efficient to install the machines before the building is completely built, or Tesla wants to use that machine ASAP. Using a few casting machines to make rear castings for Fremont Model Y is one possibility, that might free up the Fremont machines for Plaid+ Model S, assuming it needs castings.

I'm not sure that we have seen any casting machines installed in Berlin.

My God, what's up with the liberal media's hatred of Elon Musk and Tesla? Are they so childish that they would attempt to destroy one of the best hopes for the environment to ever come along? I thought liberals were supposed to care about the environment? But, oh wait, Musk put CNN down on Twitter one time so paying him back and destroying his company far outweighs the importance of improving the environment. The hypocrisy sickens me.

I guess it's a dirty little secret that Tesla plays by the rules that liberal political leaders put in place - and their plan is actually working just how they intended. But somehow, it's a secret, and it's "dirty".

And people wonder why we libertarians (and I guess the conservatives too) don't trust the liberal media. What a bunch of egg sucking dogs. How are they still in business?

Tesla's dirty little secret: Its net profit doesn't come from selling cars - CNN

Perhaps we should give the author the message
https://twitter.com/chrisidore?s=21

I'm leaning towards Austin phase 1 having the room and facilities to build the Cybertruck.

I think "in development" means they are still working out exactly how to build it, they might know where they are going to built it, and most of the equipment they will need, some phases might even need a bit of trial-and-error refinement,. Once they have scaled production on one Cybervechicle others will be easier.

Model Y should be more or less a carbon copy of Berlin, hence way more straight-forward.
I give elon credit. He didn't finish the bits and bobs for the Cybernotatruck, and then start construction for the Terafactory . He's timelined it so there isn't any gaps in how fast Cybernotatrucks can be built.
So he'll have it down to "as fast as can be done" either way. Whether he's got his guys looking to put equipment in the structure already being built. Or whether he's going to have them cranking up another building in the next few months.
But then...he's had the plans for a Model Y line for a year, he just got finished with the engineering and design of the Cybernotatruck.
It doesn't mean he hasn't already ordered a majority of the equipment for the Cyber line before they even start building the factory. I just think that the hold-up is more likely to be from the engineering side than the construction side.

Reactions: MC3OZ
If everyone reading this bought even 10-100 GME shares tomorrow (and damn we can afford it after TSLA in 2020), it would help the anti-short/corrupt hedge fund movement and also provide a hedge against TSLA going down if GME really does go into a large short squeeze. A theory is that if GME truly does go into a massive squeeze, the rest of the market will suffer as hedge funds will have to sell off their long positions in other stocks in order to buy back their GME short positions. Not investment advice, just explaining a possible scenario.
So wait? We should hedge our TSLA by buying GME?
That dog will chase its tail.

• Love
Reactions: Richard007
https://twitter.com/teslapodcast/status/1356053040407736320?s=21

C7846D8D-1581-4EF5-B1D7-4E87A3E40B9F.png