Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With such swift reaction function, I think we'll get inflation one day, since they are way behind the curve... BRRRRR
Yes, but.

If Cathie Wood is correct that we are in a deflationary boom, they may have more room to maneuver.

Also, the entire governmental tax system from local on up to the feds needs the ratchet of inflation, as I understand it. The Fed has always made it clear that they prefer some inflation.

Of course, you are correct if they keep printing money and lose control of inflation, things can go to hell in a hurry.

This whole BRRRRR thing is partly why I’m so comfortable with my portfolio being almost all TSLA, with a smidge of ARKG as well as a leveraged house.

Edit: I do have enough cash reserves to weather a prolonged storm around TSLA or in the market. This ain’t my first rodeo.

Last edited:
My brokerage's newsfeed - hour ago:

Joe Terranova On CNBC's Halftime Report Notes Shopify, Tesla, Seagen Added To Own Virtus ETF

This announcement raised some eyebrows and there was an interesting discussion following. I hope the clip becomes available. Seemed more on the earnings curve than valuation.

So awesome. GM pays for advertising way in advance of vehicles they haven't even made yet, and won't be able to capitalize from for years to come (2025?!!), while promoting EVs that Tesla makes and sells now. And still no cost to Tesla for advertising. You can't make this stuff up.
:p

Right. It doesn't make sense on the face of it. I've learned that when things don't make any sense on the surface, there is probably something else going on. Because the people who designed and approved GM's advertising strategy are not stupid, they want a return on their advertising investment. And it's not that difficult to see what it is. This advertising campaign is not aimed primarily at consumers:

This is a public campaign to keep the focus on EV's and take the focus off ICE. It's directed more at regulators than their customers. They want to create the impression that GM is putting all they have into competing in the EV space to head off regulations that would increasingly penalize ICE sales so they can keep selling ICE while everyone else pivots electric. The ICE market is shrinking but if they can gain market share each year they can remain profitable. ICE penalties that ramped higher each year would prevent them from doing that.

Creating the impression they care about going electric helps them convince regulators to go easy on ICE production. I mean, if GM is already trying as hard as they can to make the EV transition as soon as possible, what good does it do to slap on more penalties that will only put them out of business and destroy American jobs? They will argue the competition of capitalism is already working as it should, don't punish us for selling ICE cars, it takes time to change. There is a reason the magician holds a handkerchief in one hand. To get you to take your eye off the real action (the production of millions more ICE cars).

The portion of the ad aimed at consumers is designed to get their core customers to dig in and resist the temptation to be more Norwegian than American. EV's are popular in Norway. Let the Norwegian's drive EV's, Americans don't buy stuff like that.

If the Feds are smart about what is good for America they will insist on making it more and more difficult to sell new ICE cars by removing fossil fuel subsidies and long-standing tax breaks. Or, at least, increase the federal gasoline tax until it covers the cost of fossil fuel subsidies. This subsidizing of pollution and global warming has gone on for far too long. They should also re-instate the emission regulations rescinded by the previous administration. GM thinks this strategy will work and, unfortunately, they know more about it than most of us here. And they have lobbyists.

Oil companies probably came up with the strategy and convinced GM it was to their advantage to pretend like they were going electric while stringing out gas as long as possible.

Last edited:
Really the GM commercial could have been better. Should have focused on Sweden and dress and pretend to talk like this guy

The_Swedish_Chef.jpg

Right. It doesn't make sense on the face of it. I've learned that when things don't make any sense on the surface, there is probably something else going on. Because the people who designed and approved GM's advertising strategy are not stupid, they want a return on their advertising investment. And it's not that difficult to see what it is. This advertising campaign is not aimed primarily at consumers:

This is a public campaign to keep the focus on EV's and take the focus off ICE. It's directed more at regulators than their customers. They want to create the impression that GM is putting all they have into competing in the EV space to head off regulations that would increasingly penalize ICE sales so they can keep selling ICE while everyone else pivots electric. The ICE market is shrinking but if they can gain market share each year they can remain profitable. ICE penalties that ramped higher each year would prevent them from doing that.

Creating the impression they care about going electric helps them convince regulators to go easy on ICE production. I mean, if GM is already trying as hard as they can to make the EV transition as soon as possible, what good does it do to slap on more penalties that will only put them out of business and destroy American jobs? They will argue the competition of capitalism is already working as it should, don't punish us for selling ICE cars, it takes time to change. There is a reason the magician holds a handkerchief in one hand. To get you to take your eye off the real action (the production of millions more ICE cars).

The portion of the ad aimed at consumers is designed to get their core customers to dig in and resist the temptation to be more Norwegian than American. EV's are popular in Norway. Let the Norwegian's drive EV's, Americans don't buy stuff like that.

If the Feds are smart about what is good for America they will insist on making it more and more difficult to sell new ICE cars by removing fossil fuel subsidies and long-standing tax breaks. Or, at least, increase the federal gasoline tax until it covers the cost of fossil fuel subsidies. This subsidizing of pollution and global warming has gone on for far too long. They should also re-instate the emission regulations rescinded by the previous administration. GM thinks this strategy will work and, unfortunately, they know more about it than most of us here. And they have lobbyists.

Oil companies probably came up with the strategy and convinced GM it was to their advantage to pretend like they were going electric while stringing out gas as long as possible.

:) Or when Mgmt is scared to talk to their Unions, what better way than to take out an AD, so they can get the point when watching the Super Bowl. Subliminal .... (It's for internal consumption)

Sigh I think your right.
I mean in their defense who could have seen this whole newfangled electrical car thing coming/s

Ahh, lunchtime. Time to get caught up on what’s happening in TMC.

Let’s see, GM has an expensive Superbowl ad that on the surface makes it look like someday they hope to sell us EVs, but really shows them doing what they do best: destroying the planet (ok, technically it’s a globe, but - symbolism).

Meanwhile Tesla has quietly opened a new factory.

I see. Same as it ever was...

Just for fun, let's try an experiment by looking at the various forces affecting TSLA on Wednesday. NASDAQ futures are up 0.70%. GIven a 2.3X multiplier, TSLA would have a climb of about 0.7% NASDAQ gain x 2.3 = 1.6% TSLA gain on Wednesday. 1.6% of 873 = ~ $14. 873+14= 887.

Now we apply the filters. The upper bollinger band is at 912, so it does not constrain

Market makers want TSLA below 900 on Friday and will add resistance between 890 and 900. Thursdays and Fridays are likely to be more intense than Wednesdays. We'll say no significant interference from MMs on a climb to 887.

Price targets of above 900 and 1000 are common now, so no constraints on 887

There's room for huge error, of course, but my dartboard guesstimate would be 887ish close on Wednesday.

So, chaos prevailed with trying to predict TSLA's price movement today, as it likely would.

What's interesting is to look at the specific reasons why the formula failed.

NASDAQ is up 0.57% at the moment, so that's not too far off the 0.70% futures indication.

Two big unexpected changes, though,
* looking at high-flying tech stocks, they're decreasing as the afternoon progresses, versus the rest of the NASDAQ
* TSLA has a tendency to be capped when it is low, whether from manipulations or natural factors (you choose). The max pain chart shows that puts prevail below about 855 for options strike prices but calls prevail above that number. With the low volume today, TSLA is an easy manipulation by the option sellers if they desire. Hmmm. If you instead believe in natural pinning behavior, feel free to exchange those words for "manipulations".

feb3earlymaxp.JPG

While regulators might be a collateral target, I think that the main purpose of the ad is an attempt to position GM to be first in line for the government bailout aka the Green New Deal.

While regulators might be a collateral target, I think that the main purpose of the ad is an attempt to position GM to be first in line for the government bailout aka the Green New Deal.

Ah, I see. GM has the best EV plans, they just need a little financial help implementing them.

Or, Tesla could get all the New Green Deal money to scale the semi-truck more quickly which would have a much bigger impact on the environment. Not that I'm in favor of that.

I think the New Green Deal should be funded by a tripling of the federal fuel taxes. Let's fix two bugs with one line of code.

What is "Millimeter Wave Radar", isn't that Lidar or just plain radar?
Or does the term "Lidar" finally have a bad connotation as old tech?
View attachment 632978

https://www.ti.com/lit/wp/spyy005a/...47670&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Millimeter wave (mmWave) is a special class of radar technology that uses shortwavelength electromagnetic waves. Radar systems transmit electromagnetic wave signals that objects in their path then reflect. By capturing the reflected signal, a radar system can determine the range, velocity and angle of the objects.

mmWave radars transmit signals with a wavelength that is in the millimeter range. This is considered a short wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum and is one of the advantages of this technology. Indeed, the size of system components such as the antennas required to process mmWave signals is small. Another advantage of short wavelengths is the high accuracy. An mmWave system operating at 76–81 GHz (with a corresponding wavelength of about 4 mm), will have the ability to detect movements that are as small as a fraction of a millimeter.

A complete mmWave radar system includes transmit (TX) and receive (RX) radio frequency (RF) components; analog components such as clocking; and digital components such as analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), microcontrollers (MCUs) and digital signal processors (DSPs). Traditionally, these systems were implemented with discrete components, which increased power consumption and overall system cost. System design is challenging due the complexity and high frequencies.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and SOULPEDL