Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else tracking the convergence of top and bottom bollinger bands? Looks to be occurring again right now and has been a realiable bullish indicator. Excuse the crappy chart since I didn't have time to edit while on the computer.

upload_2021-2-9_12-26-57.png

Anyone else tracking the convergence of top and bottom bollinger bands? Looks to be occurring again right now and has been a realiable bullish indicator. Excuse the crappy chart since I didn't have time to edit while on the computer.

View attachment 635308
Looks like my stomach undergoing some gastronomical distress.

Anyone who doubts that Tesla is still YEARS ahead of the “competition” should take a look at the specs/price of the new Audi E-Tron GT ;)

Edit: Nice visual comparison by @Prunesquallor
lol, you should put a picture of the 2016 modelSP85+.... it would literally be perfect example of 5 years ahead!

You mention the adjustments to COGS but there are similar adjustments to revenue that I think you need to account for with your point on margins.

Great catch! The note I had relied on from the 10-K was one-sided, and only mentioned adjustments to COGS, without the corresponding mention of impact to revenues.

Tesla 2020 10-K said:
Due to pricing adjustments we made to our vehicle offerings during the year ended December 31, 2019, we estimated that there was a greater likelihood that customers would exercise their buyback options and if customers elect to exercise the buyback option, we expect to be able to subsequently resell the returned vehicles, which resulted in a reduction of cost of automotive sales revenue of $451 million. We made further pricing adjustments that resulted in a similar but smaller reduction of cost of automotive sales revenue of $42 million during the year ended December 31, 2020. Additionally, there was an increase to cost of automotive sales revenue from idle capacity charges of $213 million as a result of temporary suspension of production at the Fremont Factory and Gigafactory Nevada during the first half of 2020.

In a later section they then mention the adjustment to revenues as well.

Tesla 2020 10-K said:
Due to pricing adjustments we made to our vehicle offerings during 2020 and 2019, we estimated that there was a greater likelihood that customers would exercise their buyback options and adjusted our sales return reserve on vehicles previously sold under our buyback options program, which resulted in a reduction of automotive sales with resale value guarantee. For the years ended December 31, 2020 and 2019, price adjustments resulted in a reduction of automotive sales with resale value guarantee by $72 million and $555 million, respectively. The amounts presented represent automotive sales with resale value guarantee net of such pricing adjustments’ impact.

In other words, if my understanding of Tesla's accounting is accurate, when they sell a vehicle covered by Resale Value, they only record revenue net of the amount that Tesla estimates they would have pay to buyback the vehicle. Meanwhile, on the COGS front, they net the gain from re-selling the vehicle against COGS of the original sale. They only do this on the proportion of vehicles they believe will be bought back. Ultimately, management believes that they will be able to re-sell a bought back vehicle with near zero impact to their gross margins. I find that reasonable given the fact they can tack on FSD or other subscription services on resale.

So, adjusting for the revenue side changes, the impact to 2019 margin is actually much less material, at only a 0.06% change as opposed to the 2.1% that I had previously calculated. That said, the idle capacity charges point still holds, with the overall year over year increase in margins being closer to 5.3% as opposed to the stated 4.4% you would get based on current 10-K presentation.

Last edited:
After hours OT

In a word no, but this is a great question for us to ask periodically as a temp check on the world. The reason we don't have to worry is that speed of innovation is the new currency(new oil), not simply innovation. You can have all the ideas you like, bringing them out of the lab to market and to scale is the tough part.

Tesla literally owns speed of innovation and is nearly at scale. The next thing for investors to "worry about" isn't "the competition" catching up, but something more like being ready for the transition to a more Star Trek-esque reality where equities and currencies matter far less.

And I'm not about to "worry" about that because it means I trade my shares for an awesome one-piece uniform.

So no.
Unless you're issued a red shirt. Bad things always happened to the crew member(s) in the red shirts when they "beamed" down to a planet with Kirk.
I’ve ordered for the mountain.
I'm sure that the blast doors and other security features that keep interlopers like @Unpilot out were compelling reasons for purchase. However, I didn't think that you would need to upgrade to Starlink so soon. Wait a minute. You did purchase Cheyenne Mountain, right?

We spent almost 3 months in the $420 range. So far it's been about a month in the $850 range.

To be honest I'd be fine if we mostly trade sideways for 2021, staying under $1K until 2022.

I don't think we will, but I'd be fine if we did. Long term there are still so many factors to push the SP far above where we are today.