Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chip shortage. Are we confident that Tesla is OK?

40EF21FC-6D76-4234-92BF-DD64E2453D2F.jpeg

View attachment 635407

Production in Shanghai seems to be going well, and a few Tesla car carriers are headed for Europe.
They could be shipping cars with some chips missing, with a plan to add them later, but that is unlikely,

Why is Tesla different?

They might not have lowered their chip order amounts when COVID-19 hit, if chip markers had firm orders, then they would probably deliver.

Many other car makers anticipated a drop in production, and scaled back chip orders.

Short interest for TSLA updated through Jan 15:

01/15/2021 56,367,815
12/31/2020 60,620,873
12/15/2020 45,227,476
11/30/2020 46,499,466

Edit to add: That's $47.8B, which is a lot to be short. These days.
Short interest update for TSLA...

01/29/2021 52,379,526

Down 3M shares, but nearly double the "days to cover" since volume has been so low. Sounds like a veeeeeeeeery familiar setup.

Gamestonk short update? STILL mysteriously missing....it's after 7pm. Ridiculous, but not surprising.

Definitely OT, but do we all have the same adds running at the bottom of the page? Becoming a supporting member (and hopefully getting rid of them). When ever I see this one with the crazy looking chick holding a razor, I get scared and pee a little....

View attachment 635390
No, that one is programmed to be sent to those who write too many OT posts.

The reason why the other car manus have chip shortages is because they cut back their orders last year. Now that they're spooling back up, the chip manus are prioritizing the earlier orders...

from companies like Tesla who kept up their orders all year because they never had a shortage of demand. Personally I don't think it'll be as large a problem for Tesla. But I guess it's possible they could get screwed for some miscellaneous part common to most cars.

View attachment 635407
Tesla wrote in capacity numbers for a reason. They would have guided for less if there was a problem.
Zero problem when it comes to the Intel Atom chip since that corporation makes hundreds of million of chips a year. Not exactly sure what is on shortage. Perhaps these Legacy are using all the same couple of companies that make those crappy cheapo arm chips and they are having problems allocating them out to all the auto manufactures. Tesla's only arm chip is inhouse designed on the FSD computer which they don't have to allocate it to no one. Samsung can print millions of those out per month but Tesla only needs a tiny portion of the capacity.

Will be pretty wild when other auto blames supply problem and not a demand problem as they report throughout 2021.

This was brought up on the Q4 earnings call. Kirkhorn did not seem worried about it.

Ford does in 4 hours what Tesla does in 7 days!

Ford's European boss takes a jab at Tesla

My car was made in a tent, works fine.

Last edited:

The chip shortage is real and pretty severe. Microchip, which makes a huge number of random parts used in all sorts of things, put out a letter explaining the situation to their customers a few days ago. They say the shortage could continue into 2022. You can details read here:

Big name companies are stock piling wafers. As I understand it, it's outside of the normal. There's a bit of a panic. It's a serious problem but I have no idea how this will affect Tesla beyond what they've said. Can't figure out if this will affect one automaker more than the others. If it affects them all equally, it's less of a concern, as a TSLA investor.

I know about the stock piling because of my job, but I don't work in auto. No idea what the automakers are thinking beyond what they've said publicly.

The reason why the other car manus have chip shortages is because they cut back their orders last year. Now that they're spooling back up, the chip manus are prioritizing the earlier orders...

from companies like Tesla who kept up their orders all year because they never had a shortage of demand. Personally I don't think it'll be as large a problem for Tesla. But I guess it's possible they could get screwed for some miscellaneous part common to most cars.
The reason there is chip shortage is due to them being diverted into the vaccines.... duhhhh

Heck, given how fast the two GFs are going up, maybe they should just spin up a chip factory also. /s

Recognizing the /s, still think this is an opportunity to discuss why there's a semiconductor shortage. As I understand it, and my understanding comes from electronics/manufacturing partners (i'm not an expert in either), most of the lack of supply comes from pandemic related shutdowns - factories aren't operating at capacity. Would be happy to learn more about this.

Reactions: FireMedic
On the earnings call, Zach specifically mentioned chip supplies could be an issue for Tesla in 2021.

Hoping for the best but I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

Yup and it's not just the chips it's the substrate they're packaged onto that are short supply, plus demand is insane right now....

AMD is apparently telling people they can't meet more than 50-60% demand on current Zen2 notebook chips for example, and expect serious continued supply issues on Zen3 stuff as well.... likewise their GPUs.

That could potentially impact the S/X "gaming" computer as well since it's allegedly using a new AMD GPU and they already can't meet demand for current GPUs.

Production in Shanghai seems to be going well, and a few Tesla car carriers are headed for Europe.
They could be shipping cars with some chips missing, with a plan to add them later, but that is unlikely,

Why is Tesla different?

They might not have lowered their chip order amounts when COVID-19 hit, if chip markers had firm orders, then they would probably deliver.

Many other car makers anticipated a drop in production, and scaled back chip orders.

Everyone knows that the majority of growth in the auto industry is going to come from Tesla, so the suppliers will be fighting to make them happy now to get that future business. I doubt Tesla will have much trouble getting all the chips they need.