Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

MC3OZ

Jul 25, 2019
QLD Australia
Elon was like "sr+ orders looking pretty full, let's drop the price for a day to fill it for no good reason cause I'm too busy tweeting about doge".

if SR Y orders were close to full, I don't think we would have got the price drop.

Filling orders around now gives 5 weeks to build and deliver the cars.

A 2 week delay means only 3 weeks, which rules out some destinations...

However, I did give you a funny as Elon is spending a lot of time tweeting about Crypto.

When we look at the big picture, the things that are important, are in great shape;-
  • margins/operating leverage - financial trends
  • Product mix factory construction - growing revenues
  • FSD progress and general preparations for Robo-Taxis
  • Battery Day and 4680 cell production..

So Tesla gets most things right, (currently) even if occasionally they (arguably) get one or two small things wrong.

Taking those 1-2 small things in sequence.

BTC there is no real evidence Tesla has got this wrong, regardless, it is a rounding error compared to the list above.

Model Y SR, again thee is no real evidence Tesla has got this wrong, and it is a rounding error on a rounding error.

Things are going well, when we are mostly debating small issues of no lasting importance.

Singuy

Jun 28, 2018
US
if SR Y orders were close to full, I don't think we would have got the price drop.

Filling orders around now gives 5 weeks to build and deliver the cars.

A 2 week delay means only 3 weeks, which rules out some destinations...

However, I did give you a funny as Elon is spending a lot of time tweeting about Crypto.

When we look at the big picture, the things that are important, are in great shape;-
  • margins/operating leverage - financial trends
  • Product mix factory construction - growing revenues
  • FSD progress and general preparations for Robo-Taxis
  • Battery Day and 4680 cell production..

So Tesla gets most things right, (currently) even if occasionally they (arguably) get one or two small things wrong.

Taking those 1-2 small things in sequence.

BTC there is no real evidence Tesla has got this wrong, regardless, it is a rounding error compared to the list above.

Model Y SR, again thee is no real evidence Tesla has got this wrong, and it is a rounding error on a rounding error.

Things are going well, when we are mostly debating small issues of no lasting importance.
Think at this point it's useless to spend all this energy to figure out teslas intentions with a bullish narrative. Tomorrow Tesla can bring sr back..who knows.

amolina

Jan 24, 2020
Berlin
Bloomberg published this article
Inflation Angst Is About to Rewrite the Stock Market Playbook

Since its behind a paywall, find below the most important thing to think about.

"While inflation’s ramifications for the broader market are not straightforward, a look under the surface shows investors are preparing for the outcome by favoring companies with high operating leverage, or the ability to extract profits from revenue.

While both sales and input costs tend to increase when inflation rises, companies with strong leverage potentially offer a safer trade. The reason is: the effect of growing revenue would outweigh the production costs."

Which company do we know has the best operating leverage in the market? if only it was a known fact. Not to fuel the fire further, but certain 8% of the balance sheet is supposedly a great hedge for that inflation as well, or so I have heard :p

Last edited:

JustMe

Nov 21, 2016
Conroe
Not to be confused with the 2021 Mocumentary: "Trevor"

trevor-milton-nikola.jpg

When it comes to technological innovation, Trevor turned the dial up to 1.

Prunesquallor

His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain.
Dec 19, 2018
Houston/Galveston
Bloomberg published this article
Inflation Angst Is About to Rewrite the Stock Market Playbook

Since its behind a paywall, find below the most important thing to think about.

"While inflation’s ramifications for the broader market are not straightforward, a look under the surface shows investors are preparing for the outcome by favoring companies with high operating leverage, or the ability to extract profits from revenue.

While both sales and input costs tend to increase when inflation rises, companies with strong leverage potentially offer a safer trade. The reason is: the effect of growing revenue would outweigh the production costs."

Which company do we know has the best operating leverage in the market? if only it was a known fact. Not to fuel the fire further, but certain 8% of the balance sheet is supposedly a great hedge for that inflation as well, or so I have heard :p

Watch the scramble for crypto for no other reason than the appearance of anti-inflationary properties.

ReddyLeaf

Mar 19, 2014
WA State
I know that we’ve discussed TE contributions to the financials in the past, but here’s a fairly detailed article from the overall market perspective.
California’s Battery Cavalry Arrives, But Maybe Not Soon Enough | GTM Squared
While we're on the topic of California batteries, Bay Area-based Tesla posted its full-year 2020 earnings Wednesday. The car business always gets most of the love, but a few facts jumped out from the energy side.

Tesla straight-up doubled its energy storage shipments quarter-over-quarter to move 1,584 megawatt-hours in the fourth quarter. For the full year of 2020, Tesla delivered 3 gigawatt-hours of battery storage, which happens to match all the battery capacity installed in the entire U.S. last year, according to Wood Mackenzie's tally. That's not to say Tesla has that kind of market share — it ships all over the world, not just to the U.S. But it's remarkable to see one company moving that kind of volume when stationary storage is essentially its side hustle.

Whether it's a profitable side hustle remains to be seen. Tesla reported $752 million in revenue from solar and storage for the quarter, but the cost of that revenue was $787 million. That performance didn't put much of a dent in the booming vehicle sales, which led to the company's $2 billion gross profit for the year. But it shows that moving lots of units at competitive prices is not the same thing as running a successful business.

In previous quarters, Tesla's energy business generated slightly more money than it spent. But the company doesn't break out specific data for the division, so it's hard to tell how much the solar or battery side is weighing things down.

c041v

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I am guessing an announcement of a merger between one of his existing SPACs and a very surprising company. I have no idea what that company would be, but just my guess on his meaning.

A friend thinks (through a trading discord) that Tesla is going to announce something with TRCH/MMAT (Torchlight Energy and Metamaterials)

Note that MMAT lists an address in the same building as Jeff Dahn's Lab in Halifax. I said it was coincidence, but maybe not?

Hock1

Jan 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
A friend thinks (through a trading discord) that Tesla is going to announce something with TRCH/MMAT (Torchlight Energy and Metamaterials)

Note that MMAT lists an address in the same building as Jeff Dahn's Lab in Halifax. I said it was coincidence, but maybe not?

Uber's impediment to success has always been dependent on the questionable tax treatment of their drivers. I.e., are they employees or subcontractors? IMO, all things considered, they are employees. A UK court recently ruled that they are employees. Although a recent US court ruled the other way, several lower courts have ruled that they are employees. I believe that a merger between Uber or Left and Tesla would solve this issue. In some sort of business combination, Uber could supply the drivers, data and operating system; Tesla would supply the vehicles, charging etc.. With the huge gap between ICE and BEV (Tesla) operating and ownership costs, it could work. Obviously, there is a lot to be considered.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and RMan

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
Uber's impediment to success has always been dependent on the questionable tax treatment of their drivers. I.e., are they employees or subcontractors? IMO, all things considered, they are employees. A UK court recently ruled that they are employees. Although a recent US court ruled the other way, several lower courts have ruled that they are employees. I believe that a merger between Uber or Left and Tesla would solve this issue. In some sort of business combination, Uber could supply the drivers, data and operating system; Tesla would supply the vehicles, charging etc.. With the huge gap between ICE and BEV (Tesla) operating and ownership costs, it could work. Obviously, there is a lot to be considered.
A partnership (much less a merger) would one-sidedly benefit Uber, not Tesla. This is why Travis Kalanick said in 2015 he'd buy all of Tesla's 500K production in 2020 if they were autonomous.

Tesla needs Uber like they need a ball and chain on their leg. Uber will be victim #1 when robotaxis are unleashed. If all OEMs eventually achieve autonomy (as Elon believes), Uber will become near useless. Kalanick said this himself.

IMO, the Uber era will be remembered as a 10-year transition period.

MC3OZ

Jul 25, 2019
QLD Australia
Strabane isn't convenient to anything, relatively speaking.

There is a port nearby, from that port they could export to Europe...

We would need to determine what they are making and if that production process required a lot if import/export.

Energy storage batteries are a possible candidate.

EDIT:: Maybe there are some useful raw materials nearby:-
http://earthwise.bgs.ac.uk/index.php/Bulk_minerals,_mineral_resources,_Northern_Ireland

However do get lots of these rumors, very few true out to be true.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC