Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only need to sell 10 shares to pay the rest of my 2020 taxes but can't bring myself to. I think I need help.
I need to sell about five percent of my tsla investment this week. Some for living expenses, card payments and rent, some for an investment I'm making in a local project with some friends and about two years worth of taxes, not from tsla gains, that I've been able to push forward due to pandemic extensions.

I've been researching what's the worst than can happen and how long I can get away with it if I just continue not paying the taxes for awhile. There is no death penalty here and the prisons aren't that bad. Maybe they'll let me keep a tablet so I can read tmc.

"They" are now fighting $740. Pretty obvious that they do not want TSLA to cross this psychologically important level. Capping occurring right now at $740 (order to sell 10,100 shares was just put in and pulled as it achieved the desired impact).

how in the world can this tactic be legal? For starters, the price shouldn’t change until execution. These hedge funds can manipulate without any cost to them? Insane.

what will be funny is when Tesla does eventually start doing some form of conventional advertising and everyone here instantly does a hypocritical 180 and falls over themselves to praise the ad and the strategy, whatever it turns out to be.
What will be funny is if Tesla ever does see a need for advertising everyone who has been needlessly pushing for it prematurely will be running around congratulating themselves for being visionaries.

Covered call seller, comrade?
Nope. This is me.
6DFE29B8-54CA-4D1B-AB4A-419F7793978B.jpeg

Since there are many of us who cannot grasp what Tesla is doing that is so different that they cannot ever do traditional advertising I suggest taking a careful look at the AdAge official 'world's largest advertiser' Amazon:
Looking there and also going through their massive disclosures there are a few crucial points:
1. Despite being the largest retailer the world has ever known they do not use conventional advertising at all.
2. Their gigantic advertising is almost all website placements and search sponsorships.
3. Current estimate is that ~90% of their advertising budget is actually product search and passthrough search links. Almost all of that is actually paid by product sellers on Amazon.
4. After the 'almost' above there is still a gigantic amount of money, which almost all goes to make placements for Amazon-branded products, although even most fo that is actually paid for by the manufacturers of the Amazon-branded product.
5. Even in categories such as Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Music the expenditures are almost all passed- through one way or another.

So, simplistically Amazon is the World's largest advertiser. Factually, they are effectively the world's largest ad agency, with placement and promotion throughout their platform. Conventional traditional advertising? Virtually none.

When they do use traditional ads, what is it for? Mostly, recruiting and broadcasting local support for Amazon's insatiable appetite for new distribution facilities. Thus it is primarily local.

With their massive scale one would expect them to dominate the airwaves were conventional advertising valuable. But they do not, because it is irrelevant for any purpose other than helping seek community and governmental support for their activities.

For them press releases with typically high gloss serve to generate almost everything they need.

Just think about how Tesla will behave when they have, say, a 15% car maker share in an area, or a 15% market share in distributed power (AKA Tesla Energy). Chances are they'll begin to be more nearly like Amazon in their approaches, but vastly less visible since they'll carefully target immediate potential purchasers. As such it will be primarily search related with some of the now- typical banners and sponsored links tossed in. Overall, it will still not look like what the non-Marketing world calls advertising.

In short, they'll still seem pretty much as it does now, since quite a bit of that happens already, but not the banners. Nor is there ever likely to be an advertising department.

None of us should ever think Tesla is unaware about how to operate effectively in the digital world.
I suppose some of us cannot imagine they're doing these things because we cannot see them, and they've no Department named Advertising. The budgets will never, in all probability, look like Amazon's, because Tesla will not need to become a surreptitious Advertising Agency like Amazon and Google have done.

yep, I think it will either be 6xx because of some weird accounting voodoo I don't understand that weighs on earnings, or it will be 8xx due to beating estimates. I am hoping for the latter!
I think it's pretty straight forward:
Priority #1: Gross margin
Priority #2: full year guidance
#3: Austin & Berlin Y/CT timeline
Gross margin over 25% again we fly.

It would be funny were it to happen. It won't precisely because they have all the awareness they can use and more plus all the demand they can use and more. The only remotely conventional techniques they use are end-of-quarter promotions and periodic incentives. Even those are communicated solely with now-traditional Tesla techniques. never have they reported to industry traditional broad-spectrum promotions.

Those are simply too inefficient for use today. Sadly, much fo the industry hasn't clue so they continue with purely traditional techniques. Even traditional giants such as Procter and Gamble now spent more on targeted techniques than they do on broad-spectrum advertising. Clearly you don't believe these things.
Do a little research on advertising expenditures by channel and expenditures for internet targeted promotion and purchase-location promotion. When/if you do that you'll understand a bit more about this.

Finally, Super Bowl ads and similar splashes are almost always done to satisfy senior executives whims. Those obsolescent men (nearly all those dinosaurs are men) continue to see value because they can see/observe their Super Bowl and other pitches and brag to their friends. Never underestimate how important it is to make your pitch to the Board of Directors and the old Senior Execs. That aspect is so important that a good many knowledgable people make those pitches to help sell corporate decisions that they otherwise might oppose. Here is a prototypical such pitch:
PreviewPreview0:31GMC HUMMER EV Super Bowl LIV Ad With LeBron JamesYouTube · CarscoopsFeb 2, 2020
That one is quite certain to have been worthwhile to help Mary Barra sell an EV approach that is opposed by a number of senior executives and board members. Maybe it generated a few sales to prior Hummer buyers, but they'd have been convinced later on anyway using modern techniques. It is definitely value delivered when such activity converts living dinosaurs.

I have participated in a handful of settings where such decisions were made explicitly for that reason.
One of the most blatantly obvious ones was this:

Tesla and SpaceX are not weak enough to need such antics, nor do either have cost-plus contracts to help them to bilk the taxpayers for them:
The Audi Godfather ad made a point and signaled the end of BMW.

Even though I got lucky with some short term Calls and I have LEAPS......I F'ing hate options and they should go away. The whole thing is rigged. Those with all the money and power can just do what they want with a stock and thus greatly drop the value of options at will and then turn around, buy those Calls on the the cheap, and get exponential gains as it goes higher.

I fully understand what's going on with options and MM's, but at this point the lack of volume tells me a lot of Wall St is in on it and coordinating behind the scenes.

Tesla was at 900/share earlier in Jan and had record deliveries in the following quarter, during the weakest quarter of the year with no S/X sales and you're telling me no one's willing to jump in the day of earnings when the stock is at 738 with some buying volume???? The SEC is a total joke.
I broadly agree with you, except that we know what they're doing and we can often predict the outcome much of the time, so use this knowledge to your advantage and be a mini-MM, sell calls - sure, occasionally the SP might shoot up, but then just roll 'em up and later. This risk is really very small, TBH.

Just think about how Tesla will behave when they have, say, a 15% car maker share in an area, or a 15% market share in distributed power (AKA Tesla Energy). Chances are they'll begin to be more nearly like Amazon in their approaches, but vastly less visible since they'll carefully target immediate potential purchasers. As such it will be primarily search related with some of the now- typical banners and sponsored links tossed in. Overall, it will still not look like what the non-Marketing world calls advertising.

In short, they'll still seem pretty much as it does now, since quite a bit of that happens already, but not the banners. Nor is there ever likely to be an advertising department.

None of us should ever think Tesla is unaware about how to operate effectively in the digital world.
I suppose some of us cannot imagine they're doing these things because we cannot see them, and they've no Department named Advertising. The budgets will never, in all probability, look like Amazon's, because Tesla will not need to become a surreptitious Advertising Agency like Amazon and Google have done.

As a bit of a counterpoint, Apple does some traditional advertising. How do you view the effectiveness of Apple's advertising? A waste of money? Not enough to do anything more than set the mood?

From MarketWatch:

"In our call of the day, Mott Capital’s Michael Kramer said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Tesla post a “monster earnings beat.”

The reason is simple, bitcoin rose dramatically during the first quarter, and those unrealized gains will show up under other income. So you are wise to factor that into understanding how strong results are.” Elon Musk’s company bought $1.5 billion in bitcoin in February, after which the cryptocurrency rose to fresh all-time highs in April before pulling back. Tesla has already reported first-quarter deliveries that smashed expectations."

I know that we here on TMC are much more knowledgeable about certain topics. But I would think anal-ysts would at least know how over-arching issues such as bitcoin valuation works. Investors who depend on analysts' research and recommendations may as well throw darts at the WSJ stock page.
Maybe they sold it all at $64k and rebought the #BTC at $45k 😅

Of course I doubt it very much, but it would be one hell of an upside surprise

Reactions: WattsHappening
I need to sell about five percent of my tsla investment this week. Some for living expenses, card payments and rent, some for an investment I'm making in a local project with some friends and about two years worth of taxes, not from tsla gains, that I've been able to push forward due to pandemic extensions.

I've been researching what's the worst than can happen and how long I can get away with it if I just continue not paying the taxes for awhile. There is no death penalty here and the prisons aren't that bad. Maybe they'll let me keep a tablet so I can read tmc.
Don't sell shares, sell calls, keep shares...

Should be be concerned with light volume going into earnings? It appears we only get strong moves with strong volume. Is the light volume signaling a potential muted reaction to earnings. If we don't get volume tomorrow, the stock won't fly high regardless of how strong the results are, and worse is that FUD will lead to manipulation to cap the stock or sink it on blowout earnings. :confused: