Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a bit of a counterpoint, Apple does some traditional advertising. How do you view the effectiveness of Apple's advertising? A waste of money? Not enough to do anything more than set the mood?
Nearly all of Apple's advertising seems to me to be carefully targeting to target audiences but far less narrowly oriented than is Amazon's. Apple is at a point in phone, pad and desktop penetration that they are pursuing conquests. This suggests they have decided that advertising targeted in likely buyer audiences is worth the money. Since they are now mass market products their use of advertising centered on newly introduced products probably makes sense, especially since their margins run somewhere in the low 40% range.

I have been an AAPL shareholder for more than a decade and poring over every disclosure, albeit not quite so obsessively as I do TSLA. Their disclosures do obscure such decisions. The AdAge database. my go to source, has little more insight.

Apple does target various subscription models rather more aggressively including the insanely profitable iPhone upgrade program. They have a very refined email and linked promotion program that seems to equal Amazon in refinement. At AAPL those techniques seem more devoted to cross-sell than they are to initial adoption.

Probably even more interesting than advertising for AAPL is that they've built Apple Silicon entirely about increased services adoption by increasing the platform integration far beyond anything before. Since that also reduces costs and increases perceived value AAPL is now in a position to pay dearly for conquests, thus even advertising can pay off so long as their customer retention stays so high.

They are a rare example, but a very good one.

As usual IMHO. FWIW I recently started buying them again.

I think people are reading way too much into elon playing 4D chess by being on SNL. The real reason is likely: They asked him, and he wanted to do it.
The song that plays when you hit the autopilot stick 4 times and get the mario road easter egg? maybe not everyone knows this is because of a saturday night live sketch. Elon is obviously a big fan, and SNL know that.
Sometimes its not 4D chess. Sometimes, a meme is just a meme, and elon goes on a thing because he likes it, and they asked him.

Elon cameo on Big Bang Theory for all those that are nervous. Quite a bit longer than Iron Man, which was only a second or 2.

Literally the only redeeming part of that show.

Jesus... stop trying to force bitcoin mining into this company. Its supposed to be a renewable energy company. The minute it becomes some ponzi scheme for wasting energy through mining bitcoin, im selling up.
Who the hell buys a car as a bitcoin mining rig? This is NOT going to happen. It bad enough the board let elon speculate with shareholders money on this nonsense, let alone trying to shoehorn it awkwardly into their 'mission'.
I don't want you to sell but if that's how you feel I think you missed some big news in the past few months.

Traditional guidelines for posting tonight:
  1. If in doubt, don't post
  2. Add value - don't post SP or quotes from the presentation
  3. Group your points together into bigger posts
  4. Don't post until you have caught up and confirmed it hasn't already been posted
  5. No fake links
  6. No fake numbers
~~~MODERATOR WARNING: ANY fake, "ha ha I'm just joking" data presented will earn that poster a permanent ban. Any links to other fake/joke data will earn the poster a minimum of a long time-out. No one is amused by the waste of time so caused~~~

I'm pretty surprised at the low volume we're seeing today so far.

I'm more shocked than surprised, tho certainly not the first time!

Being up in the $700B market cap stratosphere might be putting an end to our traditional manic run-ups then sell-the-news rhythm. Gotta show something legit in the numbers or guidance to get movement.

Tho it does feel to me like a LOT more MM shorting is being done than normal. I guess we'll find out in the next week or two.

I'm more shocked than surprised, tho certainly not the first time!

Being up in the $700B market cap stratosphere might be putting an end to our traditional manic run-ups then sell-the-news rhythm. Gotta show something legit in the numbers or guidance to get movement.

Tho it does feel to me like a LOT more MM shorting is being done than normal. I guess we'll find out in the next week or two.

At this point, I'm very much rooting for the stock split announcement on the earnings call.....even if it's just a 2:1. Force them to cover all the naked shorting they're doing. I'd be fine with Zach/Elon flat out saying on the earnings call that they'll do a stock split anytime they think the stock is being manipulated.

I have no issue with the stock going down if Tesla as a company starts making mistakes, missing on earnings badly, etc.....Legit reasons. And you could "somewhat" agree with the stock selling off in Feb because of worries about S/X and Tesla coming up short on the Q1 P/D. But the stock should have return back to the 800, even 900 level when the blockbuster Q1 P/D report came out.

I'm sick of Wall St being so blatant and arrogant. I know that some might disagree with me but if Tesla continues growing earnings and FCF, hell start a stock buy back program during these periods of blatant manipulation.

I think people are reading way too much into elon playing 4D chess by being on SNL. The real reason is likely: They asked him, and he wanted to do it.
The song that plays when you hit the autopilot stick 4 times and get the mario road easter egg? maybe not everyone knows this is because of a saturday night live sketch. Elon is obviously a big fan, and SNL know that.
Sometimes its not 4D chess. Sometimes, a meme is just a meme, and elon goes on a thing because he likes it, and they asked him.
It's too bad Blue Oyster Cult is no longer the draw worthy of invite but if only they could have been the musical guest, imagine the sound bite/video of Elon on cow bell.

~~~MODERATOR WARNING: ANY fake, "ha ha I'm just joking" data presented will earn that poster a permanent ban. Any links to other fake/joke data will earn the poster a minimum of a long time-out. No one is amused by the waste of time so caused~~~
I was hoping we would get some yoke data tonight. Guess not.