Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steering wheel is the smoking gun. I wish people would just use Occam's razor here. Person without seatbelt was thrown around vs coming up with Rube Goldbergian scenarios.
A neighbor asked me why the airbags didn't deploy. Not that we have that info (implied here only by the bent wheel), but will it deploy without a seatbelt while someone is in the seat? If not, that's some harsh punishment!

• Helpful
Reactions: WarpedOne
Sandbagging is the latest word in Tesla Bull Dictionary ;)
750K yearly -- sandbagging
S/X delayed -- sandbagging
4680 -- 12/18 mths -- sandbagging

Fed Policy meeting over at 2:30, then AAPL earnings AH.
I think Biden is also talking today. I hope he brings up some EV tax credits (10k) and it would be great if he talked about some solar incentives...

Reactions: elasalle
FUDsters - I do not think those words mean what you think they mean...

"No guarantees = Guaranteed failure"

what silliness

A neighbor asked me why the airbags didn't deploy. Not that we have that info (implied here only by the bent wheel), but will it deploy without a seatbelt while someone is in the seat? If not, that's some harsh punishment!

According to what Elon said on the Rogan podcast: yes they will deploy without the seat belt being buckled.

Airbags deploy even if no seatbelt on. Elon said in the latest Joe Rogan podcast that seatbelts are a nice bonus in a Tesla but that the airbags themselves are safe enough by themselves. By saying you'd be fine without a seatbelt in a Tesla, he was (IMO) implying airbags deploy either way.

EDIT: @MP3Mike beat me to it.

From Tesla's 2021 Q1 10-Q: (pg. 22)

2018 CEO Performance Award

The achievement status of the operational milestones as of March 31, 2021 is provided below. Although an operational milestone is deemed achieved in the last quarter of the relevant annualized period, it may be certified only after the financial statements supporting its achievement have been filed with our Forms 10-Q and/or 10-K.

View attachment 657673

(1) Achieved in the first quarter of 2021 and expected to be certified following the filing of this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q.

Attn: @The Accountant

Further, from the Q1 10-Q:
  • During the first quarter of 2021, all remaining market capitalization milestones except for the milestone relating to $650.0 billion were achieved
  • During the first quarter of 2021, the operational milestone of annualized revenue of $55.0 billion became probable of being achieved and consequently, we recognized a catch-up expense of $116 million
  • As of March 31, 2021, we had $129 million of total unrecognized stock-based compensation expense for the operational milestones that were considered probable of achievement, which will be recognized over a weighted-average period of 0.9 years
  • As of March 31, 2021, we had unrecognized stock-based compensation expense of $548 million for the operational milestones that were considered not probable of achievement

So, less than two-more quarters-worth of large CEO comp expenses like Q1. Profits will zoom.

Cheers!

Leveraged short positions are like a ticking time bomb.
Oh of course. I was thrown by the fact that it's Wed and not the usual Monday shorty hangover. Reminds me of Wednesday Dime-Beer night at Shakey Drakes in college. Woohoo!

Earlier today when I woke at its low, I knew I was past the point of considering any selling should it continue (the Bob Effect, I did not). That moment when you realize it would be stupid to sell now, so you decide to go down with the ship if it happens. I was there briefly, and been there before. I think the S&P inclusion is helping now. But even with the FUD and Bond Yield headwind, we are STILL doing just fine :)

After a bit of googling I found that air bags will deploy in a car fire above 300 degrees. So very likely that the car fire set off any undeployed air bags in the Model S after the initial accident.

An airbag only deploys if the frontal impact is strong enough. It the criteria is met, it will deploy with or without the seatbelt buckled but it will deploy with less impact if the seatbelt is not buckled (another good reason to always buckle your seatbelt, even at low speeds). Steering wheels are designed to deform easily to help absorb impact.

The evidence shows the impact was softened by saplings that lifted the front of the car before it struck the large tree. How else is the bark of a vertical tree trunk going to get a large scrape 10 feet off the ground? People are over-looking obvious clues as to what happened here. The photos don't lie.

This sounds quite erudite despite your languorous punctuation. But my little monkey brain can't quite figure out what if any action you recommend. Give up on the pattern-seeking masses?

I recommend skepticism toward any message pushed by powerful industries and their captive media and government agencies. That certainly includes the Medical Industrial Complex, which insisted we need vaccine for coronavirus and suppressed natural methods to boost immunity, at the cost of half a million lives in the US alone. By "skepticism" I don't mean dismissing anything they say. I do mean at least listening to dissenters to find out if they have facts and logic...rather than immediately dismissing them as crackpot "conspiracy theorists" without listening to them. That's what the powerful industries don't want you to do.
I find it remarkable that in just over the span of one year, Big Pharma, one of the most hated industries the world over for it's scandalous price hikes on life-saving prescription drugs, long history of back-door dealings/kickbacks/fraud with government regulators/doctors/investors, and major profiteer of the opioid epidemic and other drug addictions, is now rosily painted by the Mainstream Media as an industry that can do no wrong, and whose sole purpose is to benevolently protect the public's health and well-being, free-of-charge, no strings attached. Sorry, but something stinks here, and it smells like ad dollars mixed with clickbait journalism mixed with people's natural fear of dying, a potent combination if there ever was one.

If there is one thing I've learned from this forum, ONE THING, it is that the mainstream media is overwhelmingly incentivized to push the narrative of their biggest advertisers and is not to be trusted. We see this over and over with Tesla in numerous ways, every day.

In the span of one year, some of my family/friends have gone from thinking I'm a kind, open-minded, tree-hugging, liberal-leaning, animal-rights defending hospital lab tech (who actually runs and results Covid tests), to a Qanon-Trump-voting-science-denier simply because I question the safety and logic of a world-wide mass vaccination campaign for a respiratory ailment that overwhelmingly afflicts the old/overweight/unhealthy. Seriously. I have a couple of friends that won't talk to me now simply because they read "The News"--they're not tricked by Qanon, they're too smart for that. I'm now branded a conspiracy theorist. Well, OK.

I'm not claiming to know any truth or have any knowledge of Covid. But what I do know is that Big Money and MSM have never been interested in giving citizens the unvarnished truth--for decades they have misrepresented and/or covered up climate change, smoking, EVs, financial crises, the list goes on and on. Greed has no limit. Just look at VW's dieselgate scandal, Enron, Bernie Madoff, or the 2008 financial crisis, for example.

Wall Street loves a good bailout. And they really scored a doozy with Covid. Let that sink in.

"Show me the incentive, and I'll show you the outcome." --Charlie Munger

Unfortunately I grabbed more under $700. This is free money.

Who knows how much veracity there is here but the basic details make sense. Hazmat drivers were furloughed or retired during the pandemic and now there are even fewer of them. Might be a struggle keeping gas stations supplied during a summer when Americans are going to be travelling like crazy. That also suggest superchargers will be busier than normal but at least we can fill at home.

Not sure if Tesla bags are better than average, but either way modern airbags are smart. They won't deploy, or will only deploy with low force depending on position of the occupant and/or being buckled in. An airbag is an explosive device so if it deploys while you are moving towards the wheel it could easily kill you.

Old article but still valid.

Solving the sometimes fatal problems of airbags and small adults was a bit more involved. Initially, the safety agency issued bulletins urging drivers to buckle up and sit at least 10 inches away from the steering wheel to avoid injury. Unfortunately for small drivers, sitting that far back made it difficult to reach their vehicle's wheel and pedals.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and SOULPEDL
Unfortunately I grabbed more under $700. This is free money.

Not sure if Tesla bags are better than average, but either way modern airbags are smart. They won't deploy, or will only deploy with low force depending on position of the occupant and/or being buckled in. An airbag is an explosive device so if it deploys while you are moving towards the wheel it could easily kill you.

Old article but still valid.

Solving the sometimes fatal problems of airbags and small adults was a bit more involved. Initially, the safety agency issued bulletins urging drivers to buckle up and sit at least 10 inches away from the steering wheel to avoid injury. Unfortunately for small drivers, sitting that far back made it difficult to reach their vehicle's wheel and pedals.
As noted just above there is another possible outcome: that the explosives in airbags deploy under intense heat in a fire that melts Al.