Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well you've got 10mm to work with (4680s wiring & cooling plate) and i don't think the current 3/Y modules need more than 5mm per side. Cooling is integrated in the module, hook it up at the front/ back of the pack instead of the cooling plate. Add in some I-beams between the modules...

This is all ballpark engineering guesswork. Whether the details fit, only Tesla knows. And it certainly needs development effort.
We'll see once Berlin/Austin start production.
Adding any structural components internal to the exterior enclosure of the battery "box" defeats the purpose. The beauty of the structural battery over the structural pack is that the metal cans together transfer the stresses to the exterior frame thereby doing double duty. The are strong enough to withstand the internal forces of the battery during charging and discharging as well as transferring external forces as the chassis tries to flex.

Speaking of internal forces, look at the storm than GM and Hyundai are going through currently with their pouch style cells which can never be used as a structural element. They actually are designed to flex as the internal pressures of the cell expand.
This had something to do with the Samsung phones catching on fire too AFAIK. I'm no expert but I have to wonder if the issues of allowing dendrites to puncture the separator membranes resulting in the battery fires is due to this flexing that occurs inside these pouch cells. IMO, pouch cells due to the nature of how they allow this expansion and contraction internal to the cell chemistry's is a design flaw that the cylindrical cells address.

that moment short before market close, when you catch yourself thinking,
Lol, whatever tomorrow may bring, today they're in love with the 50-d Moving Avg.

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-05-03.15-58.png

My guess is very few. I can recall how quickly the pre-WWII style cars (tall and narrow) went after the 1950's style cars (short and wide) arrived. You looked at the older cars and thought "Oh, old car". Now it will be "Oh, old truck".
There are some benefits to tall and narrow from a seating ergonomics perspective. It also gives you more glass to electronically switch into a display screen then you are in a boring tunnel. Cross winds can be problematic. FSD could solve that.

Really hard to solve the appearance issue (sell any). TSLA Stock is safe from this motorized center rear seat as trolley/winch that can tow items and heavy wheelchairs and motorcycles all the way into the vehicle (center front seat is tumble forward with 3 cup holders on top edge):
1620071899971.png
1620072034116.png
1620072090719.png
1620072405827.png
1620072435601.png
1620072479285.png

Not SEXY.
TSLA stock price is secure.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and GOVA
Adding any structural components internal to the exterior enclosure of the battery "box" defeats the purpose. The beauty of the structural battery over the structural pack is that the metal cans together transfer the stresses to the exterior frame thereby doing double duty. The are strong enough to withstand the internal forces of the battery during charging and discharging as well as transferring external forces as the chassis tries to flex.

Speaking of internal forces, look at the sh!tstorm than GM and Hyundai are going through currently with their pouch style cells which can never be used as a structural element. They actually are designed to flex as the internal pressures of the cell expand.
This had something to do with the Samsung phones catching on fire too AFAIK. I'm no expert but I have to wonder if the issues of allowing dendrites to puncture the separator membranes resulting in the battery fires is due to this flexing that occurs inside these pouch cells. IMO, pouch cells due to the nature of how they allow this expansion and contraction internal to the cell chemistry's is a design flaw that the cylindrical cells address.
Yes, the structural battery is the best/most efficient solution.
The structural pack is about an alternative without affecting the rest of the car. To be used until sufficient structural batteries can be produced. Identical external dimensions and connections and sufficiently matching physical properties.
In model 3/Y the pack is currently carried like luggage, without a significant positive effect on the vehicle structure.

Last edited:

However, Economic Minister Jörg Steinbach, who has been one of Tesla’s most vocal supporters in their quest to open the German facility, isn’t buying the six-month delay story at all. Steinbach still believes Tesla is on pace for a late-Summer or early-Autumn start at Giga Berlin.

“I don’t have the faintest idea of how anyone can come up with a six-month delay. If nothing happens out of the ordinary, I still expect a start of production in late Summer or Early Autumn.”
-Jörg Steinbach, German Economic Minister

I can tell you've never driven a older Land-Rover (the kind you see in safari movies).
Or the yellow Fiat X/19 my ex owned back in the mid 90's - this car had many endearing quirks, like coolant fluid splashing out of the dash onto your legs while driving, or the gearstick falling through the bottom of the car, phantom windows, random headlights, etc.

But the brakes were truly an experience, especially when you needed them and had forgotten the pads must have been honed out of ebony and the disks were obviously Teflon-coated - that was a scary ride I can tell you!

Looked a bit like this, very pretty little car, but palpitating:

1620072988246.png

I wish I could figure out people like that. Was it originally a short position gone bad? A negative interaction that caused a cycle of antagonism? Jealousy?

It must have been that time when Lora tried to be all bubbly and flirt with him but Elon just looked at her with a solemn face and said "You don't know it, but you're just a simulation." :oops:

But the best part is no part.
KISS, as they used to say. No particular need to complicate things waiting for the soon-to-come solution, IMHO.
It's not really as if Tesla needs more money quick, is it?
Though I confess I would prefer my MIE MY sooner than later ... But a good one, please!
Nothing special at all about a "frame structured" 2170 pack, it is just the regular pack, currently used in Model Ys.

Berlin will be ramping, so initial production volumes will be lower, but it is important to start ASAP.

It slow speed has felt the same to me too - But looking at this weeks drone videos there does appear to be a lot of work done on the paint shop internally and that tends to be one of the items with the longest lead time to start production. Some examples from this week's videos. credit Tobias Lindh and flybrandenburg
View attachment 659198
View attachment 659197

The casting machine area feels like it's taking forever with still no roof on the building - but there appears to be two machines installed - which should be plenty to get production under way given that is the same amount as they have in Fremont and they are pumping out vehicles there.
View attachment 659194

The BiW and GA facilities have plenty of work to be done
View attachment 659193
View attachment 659196

Whats the deal with the pirate flag?

Reactions: capster and friit
Nothing special at all about a "frame structured" 2170 pack, it is just the regular pack, currently used in Model Ys.

Berlin will be ramping, so initial production volumes will be lower, but it is important to start ASAP.
Yes, but no sooner!

It just seems to me that it's silly to haste out a temporary design only to bridge a short-term gap. Complicates many things down the road, I should imagine. But, as Tesla-Bjørn is wont to say: We don't know yet.

However, Economic Minister Jörg Steinbach, who has been one of Tesla’s most vocal supporters in their quest to open the German facility, isn’t buying the six-month delay story at all. Steinbach still believes Tesla is on pace for a late-Summer or early-Autumn start at Giga Berlin.

“I don’t have the faintest idea of how anyone can come up with a six-month delay. If nothing happens out of the ordinary, I still expect a start of production in late Summer or Early Autumn.”
-Jörg Steinbach, German Economic Minister
And people actually believed it when it broke.....never fails to amaze me how 'smart' people are these days. Let's see...trust the German Economic Minister or seedy journalists??? your choice.

This is so dumb. Car and Driver claims Tesla still not making money building cars because they look at earnings after all the deductions and completely ignore the fact that before stock based compensation (and other deductions), they made a ton of money. I'm glad CleanTechnica is busting this myth, but the fact that the myth is still so pervasive is annoying.

They could present things at the Earnings Report in a way that would paint the picture in crayon for the analysts who can't quite figure it out on their own.

First, put out all the standard bits showing the normal numbers needed about how the business is running. Like revenue, operations costs, and reveal the profits at this point to isolate how the factories are doing. (i.e.: how it looks if there were no credits incoming or compensation outgoing) Perhaps touching on how the good numbers have triggered the Technoking's Compensation award.

Next, have a segment that illustrates the non-normal aspects illustrating how the payment toward Elon's compensation plan and the profit from the other auto-makers buying EV credits balance against each other. This could be presented clearly showing how the other OEMs are paying for "X" amount of Elon's compensation. Might even touch briefly on how EV Credits are bought by other OEMs to avoid fines due to their falling short of their legal obligation to produce in the EV space.

Keep it simple enough for even GJ or Jonas to be able to absorb, while hammering home this idea of how other auto-makers are paying towards Elon's gargantuan package.

Lastly, present the bottom line showing how it all washes out after raking in the chips and cashing out the winners, presented so the point is clear about how the company is making bank in a big way.

Yes, the structural battery is the best/most efficient solution.
The structural pack is about an alternative without affecting the rest of the car. To be used until sufficient structural batteries can be produced. Identical external dimensions and connections and sufficiently matching physical properties.
In model 3/Y the pack is currently carried like luggage, without a significant positive effect on the vehicle structure.
I suspect that Tesla has made a strategic decision to use different cell formats within externally compatible packs.

They have done that in Shanghai, where they are using LG 2170 cells and CATL LFP cells in whatever format in externally compatible packs.

And I suspect they have done that with the new S/X. If I'm right, the new LR and Plaid packs using 18650 cells are externally compatible with the Plaid+ packs using 4680 cells. And it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt that 18650 pack design to 2170 cells and the 3/Y pack dimensions.

The purpose of this strategy is not only an insurance against 4680 cell delays but more generally to have the flexibility to use whatever cells they can get. This is a big advantage as long as Tesla is cell constrained.