Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but no sooner!

It just seems to me that it's silly to haste out a temporary design only to bridge a short-term gap. Complicates many things down the road, I should imagine. But, as Tesla-Bjørn is wont to say: We don't know yet.
My impression is 2170 normal pack and 4680 structural pack are swappable to the extent that you could swap 2170 to 4680 after manufacture, as long as the car has front and rear castings.

Reactions: generalenthu
1620077423560.png

Genius Gordo says he would be selling the stock this week because the street estimates will be lower due to the delay in Giga Berlin.... 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

My impression is 2170 normal pack and 4680 structural pack are swappable to the extent that you could swap 2170 to 4680 after manufacture, as long as the car has front and rear castings.

If not then it's an awfully large risk. I'd think they would do everything they could to allow continued building of 2170 and then a seamless change to 4680. Particularly with the fact that they will still need 2170 cells for quite some time.

Started out in a hole, looked like they were climbing out of it, but they just started falling further and further behind. Not a good effort following the great results from Friday. With news that a star player may be out for an extra 6 months turning out to be a rumor at best, tomorrow could be a better result.

Today
Score:684.90
Margin of W/L:-24.54
Attendance:26,957,700
High - Low:25.50
Season
Record:42-41
Total margin of wins:952.84
Total margin of losses:-973.61
YTD gain/loss:-20.77-2.94%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:5-5
Streak:L1
Avg margin of victory:22.69
Avg margin of defeat:-23.75
Avg Attendance:33,325,379
Avg Attendance of Last 10:31,650,479
Avg High - Low:40.55
Avg H - L of Last 10:29.19

And it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt that 18650 pack design to 2170 cells and the 3/Y pack dimensions.

Yes, your main points are well taken, I just want to add a couple pts.

Elon said the change in the S/X pack was the primary technical difficulty faced in the refresh:

"There's just a lot of issues encountered, ensuring that the new battery was super safe was quite hard as we're putting more energy in a smaller space. So it took quite a bit of of development to ensure that the battery of the new S/X is safe."​
Again, existing tab-type cylindrical cells are simply NOT drop-in replacements for tabless 4680s. It's all about thermal engineering. If you don't think that's important, ask any Nissan LEAF owner from Arizona. :p

Further, CATL in China likely provides the entire pack to Giga Shanghai, not simply LFP cells. This developement project has been in the China Auto/EV media since Sep 2019, and it was over a full year before the first LFP-based products were delivered from GF3.

Last edited:
View attachment 659270

Genius Gordo says he would be selling the stock this week because the street estimates will be lower due to the delay in Giga Berlin.... 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

Ah, so NOW he is suggesting to Sell TSLA ? Is this a new rating from this stellar analyst ? Lemme, see:
1620079112965.png

Oh, yes, it is a complete shocker after the track record above...

/s

ps: If anyone can explain how Tipranks calculates that -100.2% return, I'd love to be enlightened.
He only ever suggests to Sell, so it is hard to calculate return on investment if you never buy, I guess it has to be a short sale to follow his suggestions, but even that will have to be covered at some point.

If not then it's an awfully large risk. I'd think they would do everything they could to allow continued building of 2170 and then a seamless change to 4680. Particularly with the fact that they will still need 2170 cells for quite some time.
Look at the Battery Day slide with the 2 packs side by side.
Limiting Factor pointed out the same attachment points, and the 2170 pack has structure via the frame.
If this level of swappablity was possible, it is odviously desirable.

A broken clock is far more accurate than GJ. At least the clock is right 2x a day. You'd think he would get a call or two right just by pure luck. It takes a special skill to be so consistently wrong.
Exactly!
IF someone scores below chance probability on testing
THEN they are demonstrating they know the correct answer and are choosing the wrong answer.
The only question is why (which we could answer if we could follow the money getting to him).

[I have set a buy order for a few more shares if we are down another 4% tomorrow- I sincerely hope it does not fill]