Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-march-event-28.jpg

Wow, X3 has smaller inside volume!!!????
Mind blown, in a good way!!!
X3 is a terrible car when it comes to interior space. I had one for a week and was mind blown that I can't fit a normal person in the front seat when the back seat has a rear facing Graco 4ever car seat. I have no problem in my model 3. And this Y will have another row? As they call it in esports..gg...

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: mekberg and M|S|W
Note that hatchback/wagon/SUV cargo volume measurement in the US is not standardized, so manufacturers can get... creative.

That said, if they stick to a "below the beltline, both rows folded, and use the frunk too" standard, sure, I can see it.
Regarding comparison against BMW x3, I don't see how X3 can fit in a third row. Even in X5 the third row is very tight

Can someone advise on any of these:
2 pieces of glass in roof?
How do you access third row? M3 seats aren't designed to push forward for ingress.
Do we have dimensions?
Nothing on Flexi wiring or manufacturability?

There are three pieces of glass. The windshield, the roof, and the hatch glass. (No support beam in the middle like the Model 3 has.)

The 2nd row seats fold individually, so they aren't Model 3 seats.

Model Y is the ideal car for me. Put in my order for AWD Model Y.

In my view there is no competition for this car on the market, today or in a few years.

On the gasoline SUV side, I use BMW X3 as an example. I selected the comparable options, then compared X3 AWD with Model Y AWD. I found the Tesla Model Y costs less, and it is a much nicer car (safety, performance, convenience, glass roof, etc.). I haven't even factored in the gasoline savings and maintenance savings. The X3 is 25 mpg, Model Y's savings on gasoline will be very significant.

On the electric SUV/CUV side, nothing can get close to the the Model Y offering. E-tron, i-Pace would have to cut price by 40-50% in order to have a chance to compete with the Model Y. If E-tron, i-Pace indeed cut price by 50%, I personally would still choose Tesla's Model Y. Not because it's a Tesla, but because the Model Y is a better deal overall (milage per charge, safety, performance, space, efficency, autopilot, supercharger network, etc.).

Last edited:
Actually, there are no reservations for MY. You have to place a firm order, with agreed upon prices and features and options. That for a car that will take a while to get delivered (even more so in China and Europe). This is not a crowdfunding campaign like the Model 3 reveal. Tesla doesn’t need to do that anymore. Normal is the new normal at Tesla.

I think we are arguing semantics, but the $2500 "order deposit" is fully refundable. So its really not different than the Model 3 reservation in spirit. Obviously we can debate a difference in opinion, but my .02

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin and NicoV
I think we are arguing semantics, but the $2500 "order deposit" is fully refundable. So its really not different than the Model 3 reservation in spirit. Obviously we can debate a difference in opinion, but my .02

The big difference is that you can configure now. That’s a big plus for Tesla, in that they can better plan for demand.

No, I think that's just a formating issue on that particular slide.
They meant the Standard Range Model Y will be available in 2021.

The 7 seat option should be available for all version at time of 1st sale.

In the design studio it says :"Seven Seat Interior Available in 2021"
My wife currently drives a Toyota Highlander and I was hoping the third row would be similar so I can convince her, but the third row in Model Y does not seem practical.

Just waiting for the new articles:

“Elon forgets to paint it silver” - Dana Hull

“No Model Y SUVs were delivered to customers” - LA Times

“This car will cost money to build, Doom!” - Forbes

“What do you mean, I can’t trade in my Model3 for what I paid for it?” - Electrik

“Much smaller than a Q7, will anyone want it?” - NY Times

“F$@k what a SUV, this *sugar* is real” - Dan Neil

Yeah, I don't expect a major move in the stock one way or another. No surprises in the reveal, except a small positive one (7 seater option). Basically the Y hit all the check marks, without any hype. The substance is there: Enough cargo room (66 cf vs 15 for M3), 7 seat option, affordable starting price, sporty/fun drive, and reasonably good/okay looking. Basically will be the best ESUV on the market when released. Major advancement in autopilot by next year will make it the no-brainer choice.

Re stock, if I was being cautious, I'd say the risk remains to the downside. At any case, I don't expect my 300 or 310 calls to pay tomorrow. But my medium/long term outlook is that the stock will *slowly* move up from here, climbing a wall of worry, assuming M3 deliveries pan out and continue to improve from any potential Q1 trough. Still many products and catalysts remain this year.

Let's see what the press reviews and pundits say over the next few days.

To be honest, I quickly went through the order pages to see what the prices are, and didn’t notice anything about refundability. I probably am not the only one, so I guess this will prevent some people from ordering now.

Reactions: Tenable
To be honest, I quickly went through the order pages to see what the prices are, and didn’t notice anything about refundability. I probably am not the only one, so I guess this will prevent some people from ordering now.
It says Fully refundable directly beneath "Due Today" on the payment screen (scroll down on right hand pane)