Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They’ clearly anti-selling the Model Y, just the same as what they did to Model 3 before it ramps up.

So FUDsters already started to tell people it’s ugly. Come on, it’s a elevated Model 3, if you think Model 3 is a ugly fish, this is a bigger fish.

But I happen to like how our Model 3 looks, so this thing looks just right. And when my wife heard me saying it has 7 seats and only cost 4K more, I saw that look that she’s going to get one.

In the design studio it says :"Seven Seat Interior Available in 2021"
My wife currently drives a Toyota Highlander and I was hoping the third row would be similar so I can convince her, but the third row in Model Y does not seem practical.

I think the 7-seat version might have extended body. For example, the Lexus RX 350 is 5-seats with total length 193". Then RX 350L is 7-seats with length 196.9". The third row of RX350L is very tight, even though they added 3.9" length.

Actually, there are no reservations for MY. You have to place a firm order, with agreed upon prices and features and options. That for a car that will take a while to get delivered (even more so in China and Europe). This is not a crowdfunding campaign like the Model 3 reveal. Tesla doesn’t need to do that anymore. Normal is the new normal at Tesla.

The order confirmation page does state that the initial 2k € payment is fully refundable, so the order is not entirely firm.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Yeah. This was more of a presentation on the history of Tesla with the last 5 minutes barely showing the Y. Definitely not an exciting reveal. I get that they don't want to osborne 3 sales, but why not just wait to do this reveal later when they can really show the Y in detail?

To Osborne so many crossover SUVs of other brands?

The order confirmation page does state that the initial 2k € payment is fully refundable, so the order is not entirely firm.
A bit late too put that on the confirmation page. I only went to step 4 (autopilot), as I was only interested in the pricing, not in a firm order.
As expected, my wife is interested in a Model Y.

Yeah, I don't expect a major move in the stock one way or another. No surprises in the reveal, except a small positive one (7 seater option). Basically the Y hit all the check marks, without any hype. The substance is there: Enough cargo room (66 cf vs 15 for M3), 7 seat option, affordable starting price, sporty/fun drive, and reasonably good/okay looking. Basically will be the best ESUV on the market when released. Major advancement in autopilot by next year will make it the no-brainer choice.

Re stock, if I was being cautious, I'd say the risk remains to the downside. At any case, I don't expect my 300 or 310 calls to pay tomorrow. But my medium/long term outlook is that the stock will *slowly* move up from here, climbing a wall of worry, assuming M3 deliveries pan out and continue to improve from any potential Q1 trough. Still many products and catalysts remain this year.

Let's see what the press reviews and pundits say over the next few days.

There's a factor which I suspect the US is not yet seeing, but soon will. The school strike movement. It started with Greta Thunberg and spread to Australia. Watch as school strike goes global. Kids today are networked.

Today was strike day. 6 letters were printed in the Sydney Morning Herald, all supporting the students. The mood has shifted, dramatically. Coal is political death. The students want zero emissions by 2030.

Tesla has picked the zeitgeist. It's a perfect storm.

It will fit a lot of svelte sexy French women and Chinese women.

See, America isn't so America-centric.

Model 3 3rd row not designed for obese North Americans.

The U.S. is the most obese nation in the world, just ahead of Mexico

Right. Yesterday I went to the climbing gym with 6 colleagues in a similar 7 seater, the two smallest of the passengers just go in the small seats.

No problem, but for a longer journey one would need more frequent stops, say at a every supercharger.

FUD or outright lie?

"Tesla will have to execute well in order to take advantage of that opportunity, according to Jessica Caldwell, the executive director of industry analysis at Edmunds. Competition in the SUV space is fierce, and essentially all the German automakers are already shipping (or about to ship) their own electric SUVs."

Elon Musk just announced the new Tesla Model Y

I think the 7-seat version might have extended body. For example, the Lexus RX 350 is 5-seats with total length 193". Then RX 350L is 7-seats with length 196.9". The third row of RX350L is very tight, even though they added 3.9" length.

Toyota offers a slightly different version of the Corolla in Asia,North America, and Europe.

Tesla does not have that kind of scale, yet.

But as long as Elon doesn't rule it out I guess it is possible.

FUD or outright lie?

"Tesla will have to execute well in order to take advantage of that opportunity, according to Jessica Caldwell, the executive director of industry analysis at Edmunds. Competition in the SUV space is fierce, and essentially all the German automakers are already shipping (or about to ship) their own electric SUVs."

Elon Musk just announced the new Tesla Model Y

Wow, the writing on that article is really poor...

No, the 7-seat option is 2021 per the configurator.
Lol. No, the 7-seat option is available now, per this screenshot of an order placed today: (and posted upthread)

Cheers!

ModelY.7Seat.OrderConfirmed.jpeg

No, if you go through configuration, choosing 7 seats shows not being available until 2021.
Consider perhaps that not everything is perfectly configured on the configurator: One of our members already confirmed his order tonight for a LR AWD Model Y w. 7 seats. That's the M.Y available in Fall 2020. It's the SR version of the M.Y that isn't available until 2021.
Why would they hold back something as simple as the 3rd row seat? It's extra profit and a huge selling feature.
The configurator is likely guffed.
Cheers!

Last edited: