Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news that there's a 56 stalls going to be built across the street.
Yep, it's going to be a huge improvement!

I do this drive a couple times per year. That stop is a mess and I avoid at all costs.

On the way south, I always stop at either the Bakersfield or Buttonwillow SC (the two north of that stop) off I-5, whichever has better availability. Smaller number of chargers, but almost always available. Slower, but we plan a quick Subway sandwich stop (Subway at both locations), and timing is always perfect.
not me, I was there from Yosemite, waiting in line @ 3% battery.
Ya, coming from Yosemite, no other options than to stop and wait.

It all depends of having good sources of heat, that they can move around, and a means of moving that heat...

Water pipes are a possible way of moving heat around....

@willow_hiller has some good suggestions.... about possible heat sources...

But overall that level of integration would be challenging and expensive.

They may be focused on the efficiency of the heat pump, lower energy use, less noise, better air filtration.

If Tesla make a HVAC it has to be significantly better than existing products... lower energy use is a good target.
The biggest sources of gain are from hot water heating management. Beyond that, small gains from other things are possible. All of this is dwarfed by ground source heat pumps. With each gain you add a lot of complexity, for example, hot water. With hot water, you now have a system that is tightly integrated, harder for normal repair people to fix, and parts costs much higher. Gains from Powerwall scavenged heat would be very small. Home heating could be done with heat picked up from behind special photovoltaic panels, and could give hot water in summer, heat in winter. Again, all much more complex then current systems.

I say Tesla does not get into this at all, or goes ALL IN and makes a small modular house with all of the above.

Wouldn’t the Tesla AC system design be rather incompatible with a home system? Sure the air purification would be great, but the underlying system in the cars is based on moving excess heat generated by the motors to the battery and passenger cabin as required using the octovalve (combined with some traditional A/C elements IIRC?). A home heating system doesn’t have these local sources of heat energy to redistribute into the living space, instead it would need to be entirely based on the same heat pump reverse cycle principles that are currently deployed in home heat pumps. I would love to see some innovation in the home heat pump space that improves the efficiency though and would love to see Tesla give it a try.

Where in a home a heat pump would be needed to move around:
- water heater
- refrigerator
- convection oven

optional:
- pool heater
- radiant floor heater

Don't get too caught up in conventional thinking.

Could actually be a really cool product tie-in with Solar Roof and Powerwall.

Powerwalls need to be actively cooled, and their coolant pumps consume a not insignificant amount of electricity. And likewise high temperates can reduce solar cell efficiency. You could have a heat exchanger connected to coils under Solar Roof tiles, and into Powerwalls, which would both provide free heat energy in the Winter that you could pull into your home.
Yes, if it ties in and if it doesn't add a lot of cost. An air-source heat pump will use around $2000 of electricity over ten years (plus or minus a bit). So there isn't a lot of room to save energy costs, so the savings will have to come from much lower install cost.

• Informative
Reactions: kanweg
Yes, if it ties in and if it doesn't add a lot of cost. An air-source heat pump will use around $2000 of electricity over ten years (plus or minus a bit). So there isn't a lot of room to save energy costs, so the savings will have to come from much lower install cost.
Not sure about those figures - I easily go through over $1000 worth of electricity with my heat pump every winter.

Could actually be a really cool product tie-in with Solar Roof and Powerwall.

Powerwalls need to be actively cooled, and their coolant pumps consume a not insignificant amount of electricity. And likewise high temperates can reduce solar cell efficiency. You could have a heat exchanger connected to coils under Solar Roof tiles, and into Powerwalls, which would both provide free heat energy in the Winter that you could pull into your home.
I didn’t know that about powerwall (needing to be cooled) that would indeed be a additional source of heating for an integrated Tesla heat pump!

Also I like the other options suggested for other posts above. Would seem like a good opportunity if it could be integrated well with other household systems. Actually sounds like it would be better to use in the summer, when ambient indoor heat could be used to help power a Tesla water heater.

From the twitter verse: :D :D :D :D :D

1623886574139.png

A price of $900 and a PE “under 30 easily” means you are saying Tesla will have $20 Billion+ in Net Profit in 2022.

I don’t think there are many bulls even that think Tesla will be anywhere near that in 2022. I have that pencilled in on my estimates for 2023 though, so would be fair to say a forward PE of under 30 perhaps.
Actually I mistyped above - the figure is $30 Billion+ Net Profit (which isn’t something anyone is expecting for 2023, let alone 2022).

I did a quick search of ir.tesla.com and sec.gov, and there's been no filings that corresponded with that tweet. There's a form 8-K from Jun 7th, and a few Form 4's (for changes in insider stock trades) for Jun 8th, but nothing for the 14th. Did someone get fooled by TSLAQ?

Edit: Never mind. Form 144 is a filing for affiliates. So it wouldn't show up in a search. Interesting, I did find Drew's form 144 filing back in Mar 1, 2021 for 1500 shares. Still trying to find Jerome's

Edit 2: AND I FOUND IT! https://sec.report/Form/144-PAPER/23930
And typical TSLAQ behavior, on page 2, you'll see that it's an options exercise (aka he didn't sell any shares in that filing).

Edit 3: And for those interested, Jerome did sell shares from Mar to Jun for a total of ... 30,000 shares: https://sec.report/Form/144-PAPER/23533

Last edited:
I did a quick search of ir.tesla.com and sec.gov, and there's been no filings that corresponded with that tweet. There's a form 8-K from Jun 7th, and a few Form 4's (for changes in insider stock trades) for Jun 8th, but nothing for the 14th. Did someone get fooled by TSLAQ?

Edit: Never mind. Form 144 is a filing for affiliates. So it wouldn't show up in a search. Interesting, I did find Drew's form 144 filing back in Mar 1, 2021 for 1500 shares. Still trying to find Jerome's

Edit 2: AND I FOUND IT! https://sec.report/Form/144-PAPER/23930
And typical TSLAQ behavior, on page 2, you'll see that it's an options exercise (aka he didn't sell any shares in that filing).
Thank you for the info.

I tried looking up the guy who posted the original link on Twitter and I’m blocked! 🤣 no idea who the dude is. My guess is you’re right, tslaq. 😒