Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory (yeah, it is just a theory) :

How can Tesla differ 4680 Model Y from the others? If price is the same, everyone will want 4680.

If Tesla can find a way to use CATL's LFP cells in the structural pack then Tesla could build two versions of Model Ys from the new factories; Berlin and Austin. With structural pack perhaps Model Y SR LFP achieves 280 or so miles of range. We already know that LFP cells has good thermal properties.

4680 goes only into the Performance trim until volume production of the cells are not a problem anymore.
Not only that, but the pack for the 4680 is presumably structural and AFAIK, the 1865 or 2170's are not. This would require a different chassis, suspension, body attachment, and who knows what else. This could effect ride and handling.
I can't see one model with 2 different battery architectures, especially as diverse as the 4680 is to conventional cylindrical cells.

Reactions: kbM3 and WarpedOne
The one problem I foresee with Tesla opening up their SC network is if a leaf or a bolt pulls in and starts trickle charging there, that would prevent may be 10 Teslas from charging in the same time. Very likely, Tesla has to design their SC network for peak usage around holiday travel, and even a small number of slow pokes occupying stalls could end up in Tesla needing to double up the cables present.

Not a good outcome for either the customers or Tesla.
Dynamic pricing, and pricing that discourages slow chargers can easily solve that.
Say, price has two components (KWh + time) the charging slot is occupied.

Another idea, price doesn't need to be the same for Tesla vs. others. You can increase prices 3x and give Tesla cars price breaks... Or forgo time component.

Or, same price for everyone, but Teslas have something like loyalty discount... That could become feature of Tesla cars - it is the best and would be the least expensive charging network, if you own Tesla.

Or better yet, give every Tesla car $10K of the lifetime discounts and for every charge draw against that discount (65% discount, to get it back to todays price). So price is the same, playing field is even, it's just that all Tesla cars come with 10K worth of fuel ;)

This way, Tesla gets to recoup some investment costs and makes money on non-Tesla cars using SC. People on the road trip in non-Tesla still have valuable service that will probably be in the range of the ICE fill-up. Most of the other time they are repelled by the pricing. And tesla cars look inherently cheaper bc of "fuel rebate".

This was just a stream of consciousness. I believe there are many ways to skin the cat, and still reward Tesla customers for their investments in the infrastructure. Because let's be honest, those SCs didn't build themselves, and we've all paid for them... So why wouldn't that be reflected in the price of charging?

I for one would love a stock split just to watch the talking heads on cnbc foam at the mouth explaining how it does not mean anything.
Yeah, all together, here's the wish list:
  • Record P&D
  • Record Rev. + EPS
  • Profitable w/o credits
  • P/E ratio & CEO comp cut in half
  • FSD beta & Subscriptions launched
  • Valuation Allowance released
  • 2:1 share dividend
  • CUM Rights offering
Wud i miss? ;)

Cheers!

When you charge at a genuine Shell station, you are getting stable, high-quality electrons, not those cheap knock-off electrons with wobbly orbits that Tesla pawns off to their cult members. Of course the high-quality Shell electrons are going to cost nearly double!

/s
Plus, the additives that keep the resistors and capacitors lubricated for long life and reduced knocking.

Last edited:
If Tesla can find a way to use CATL's LFP cells in the structural pack

So far (in Giga Shanghai), Tesla is not buying CATL LFP cells; Tesla is buying the entire LFP battery pack from CATL as a turn-key product built to Tesla's specs.

Tesla does not assemble the CATL packs; CATL does. Tesla simply uses the packs to equip the MiC Model 3 SR+.

Given the similarities, I expect Tesla wil do the same with a Model Y SR+ in China when the time comes. For Europe, it comes down to sourcing the cells. We have no visibility on that as of yet, other than Elon told us that the Kato Rd. pilot plant would support Giga Berlin with early production. I presume that means until Berlin's own 4680 cell plant is operational.

This 2nd source of cells for Berlin? We still have no public information.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tesla plans for two different cell types in Giga Berlin

The information a source from the Giga Berlin plant leaked to me is credible

The article contains 2 pictures from inside Giga Berlin and information not known yet

Important Correction to the previous version of this article: the IDRA casting machine in Berlin is not yet in use and will be only after official permits are received.

Gary Black on Twitter is so out of depth in some areas, its ridiculous. He claims that every manufacturer will have a 25K EV in couple years and when Tesla solves FSD, other manufacturers will also magically solve it overnight. This is like claiming if Usain Bolt can run 100 meters in 9 seconds, every other random guy also run 100m in 9 seconds. Also, even if Tesla solves FSD, he assigns 0 value in the share price since every other manufacturer would have solved it. This is like claiming, there is no need to include revenues from Ad business of Google in GOOGs price because every other company also shows ads to the users.

Next, he will claim that Ford will launch a search engine and compete with Google or Walmart will launch reusable rockets next year and compete with SpaceX.

Either the guy is ultra dumb or he is trying to act dumb and fooling retail with wall street friends.
I agree with the idea that Tesla is increasing it's technological lead over other OEMs. However, the course of technology has been consistent. Once someone solves a given problem others soon reverse engineer, otherwise imitate or even have original contributions. From the steam engine, turbine engines, electricity, telephones, sound recording, auto-mobiles and so on not is always thus.

Gary Black is probably wrong in forecast, but... we're already moving quickly towards that goal. Ignoring for a moment the myriad Chinese OEM's already achieving that goal we have the Renault Zoe, Peugeot e-208, Kia Soul EV and many others that are dedicated to producing cheap mostly urban vehicles. The only way Black might be wrong is guessing "in a couple years". Possibly it will be around five years. Anyway the point is clear and obvious. The small and or cheap BEV market is poised for explosion.

We also should not forget the already well-established market for cheap simple slightly larger small vehicles such as The Dacia/Renault Logan that are being prepared for BEV models. Then think about the already produced London Taxi: LEVC | Commercial Electric Vehicle Manufacturer | Electric Taxis | Electric Van
The US$25,000 vehicle is nearly ready now. As massive battery production and development emerges within the next few years we'll see a plethora of those cheap cars Gary Black speaks about.

Please don't dismiss rapid technology evolution, it is happening right now. We all know Tesla started at the top of the market and has been dominant thus far. We also know Tesla is investing in even faster progress. That does not mean Tesla will dominate all others, it already does not.

The Tesla and Elon Musk mission is already happening, slowly now but poised for exponential growth during the next half decade.
In other words, as adoption rises products become more varied and prices go down. Examine any new technology adoption curve you wish, the message is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read carefully. It says two different Model Y versions, not two different cell types. So do not jump to conclusions. Could be LR and Performance versions.

Hey Bobby, you are right and wrong ;-)

I wrote two versions and that's correct but it may have escaped you that I am the author of the article therefore .....

Actually based on new information received today I corrected one statement made previously: The IDRA casting machine in Berlin is not yet in use and will be only after official permits are received.

I've enjoyed seeing you develop your business. How's that going?

What do you think about calls to open the supercharger network in the EU? I sort of figured that VW was going to roll out a fairly comprehensive charging network. Why the call to open what is a pretty limited charging network?
Thanks. VW does not roll out a charging network but partners with some companies. It's not to be confused with the SC Network. All public charging I know about in Europe has issues involved which is a long topic and should not be discussed here. I don't see anybody providing a system anywhere near what Tesla does.

The latest statement from Transportation Minister Scheuer (is in my twitter feed) is IMHO wishful thinking.

Please read carefully. It says two different Model Y versions, not two different cell types. So do not jump to conclusions. Could be LR and Performance versions.
It clearly indicates "Legacy" with 2170's vs the front+rear castings and structural 4680's. Both could in principle have various range and performance levels.
Almost all of us are obsessive over form factors. Almost all actual buyers will not know or care about form factors.

So far (in Giga Shanghai), Tesla is not buying CATL LFP cells; Tesla is buying the entire LFP battery pack from CATL as a turn-key product built to Tesla's specs.

Tesla does not assemble the CATL packs; CATL does. Tesla simply uses the packs to equip the MiC Model 3 SR+.

Given the similarities, I expect Tesla wil do the same with a Model Y SR+ in China when the time comes. For Europe, it call comes down to sourcing the cells. We have no visibility on that as of yet.

Cheers!
Who produces the pack is not important. Who designed the pack? What about electronics for communication and thermal management in the pack? It is a Tesla designed pack.

Tesla related: UK - "Competition is discounted". It shows that not all EVs are selling at full price (which I would expect as EVs better than ICE, company car tax situation etc). It's also useful when comparing UK Tesla sales/prices to see what competitors are actually selling for.

I think many dealers don't want to sell EVs (Audi/Peugeot-Stellantis), discounts seem higher than ICE.

To be fair, ID4 only discounted by small amount (9.5%). 22% off ID3 seems a bit odd, but is consistent with info from previous similar emails

1623933163881.png

1623933280574.png

1623933232725.png

I hear you, though Tesla did go through 3-4 years of incredible revenue growth with only a fraction of a positive change in their stock price. That 2020 ramp up was a catch-up, IMO. Now that the company is in the S&P 500, I think it's a different beast of a company and stock. If they do hit their revenue projections for 2021 and 2022, the price will have to catch up again...whether that's later or sooner. There's so many, rational investment, eyes on it now that I think it's going to be sooner.
Perhaps it was both catch up and overshoot? Clearly the market was waiting for confirmation of profits before sufficient buying came in to overwhelm “machinations”, and the enthusiasm and S&P/other events probably caused the overshoot which has now settled back down. This is a common pattern with many stocks. It will be interesting to see if the same cycle happens again with TSLA, or if increased confidence in future financial achievements reduces the lag (which we all greatly benefit from). A by-product of being completely convinced by the HODL approach is missing out on over-bought situations (partly hindsight) like TSLA at $900, and not pulling a move like Gary Black did.

Last edited:
Not only that, but the pack for the 4680 is presumably structural and AFAIK, the 1865 or 2170's are not. This would require a different chassis, suspension, body attachment, and who knows what else. This could effect ride and handling.
I can't see one model with 2 different battery architectures, especially as diverse as the 4680 is to conventional cylindrical cells.
No, not correct. The 4680 can help the structure of a pack when built in some configurations. If that is not possible with LFP, the pack just needs more structure, negating the weight benefit of a structural pack, but not needing different chassis etc.

Last edited:
I did a quick search of ir.tesla.com and sec.gov, and there's been no filings that corresponded with that tweet. There's a form 8-K from Jun 7th, and a few Form 4's (for changes in insider stock trades) for Jun 8th, but nothing for the 14th. Did someone get fooled by TSLAQ?

Edit: Never mind. Form 144 is a filing for affiliates. So it wouldn't show up in a search. Interesting, I did find Drew's form 144 filing back in Mar 1, 2021 for 1500 shares. Still trying to find Jerome's

Edit 2: AND I FOUND IT! https://sec.report/Form/144-PAPER/23930
And typical TSLAQ behavior, on page 2, you'll see that it's an options exercise (aka he didn't sell any shares in that filing).

Edit 3: And for those interested, Jerome did sell shares from Mar to Jun for a total of ... 30,000 shares: https://sec.report/Form/144-PAPER/23533
Yes, but we should also look at the portion of total ownership these moves represent. Since most are made at scheduled intervals in advance for diversification and cash harvesting, they rarely indicate much positive or negative “inside information”. Perhaps Guillen getting parked in the Truck division was to allow him to set up his exit financially, and cover an opening while an executive search was underway (=speculation).