Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm here and it's the weekend, I came across this video of a one-stall hydrogen filling station. How will they ever supply enough hydrogen if those cars become successful and there are lots on the road?
TBH I think that video is unhelpful. Sure, hydrogen is dumb-as-a-box-of-frogs for at last 100 reasons, but lets not compare the filling speed of a single hydrogen pump with a single supercharger stall. We all know how long it takes to fill a tesla from empty. Its not a straight comparison.
Plus its very early days for hydrogen cars, what matters is the ratio of pumps to chargers. I doubt a hydrogen car owner is going to be queueing.

Hydrogen cars are silly already, we don't have to exaggerate the situation and make unfair comparisons.

Plaid S stuck in a trailer on way to Pikes Peak (unreliable internal combustion engines 😒), if you guys could retweet and/or help increase awareness maybe they can find a fast solution.

Go to the nearest RV park and hire a retiree with a tow vehicle to get the trailer to Colorado.

Have the Duranix towed to a repair facility and pick it up later.

Plaid S stuck in a trailer on way to Pikes Peak (unreliable internal combustion engines 😒), if you guys could retweet and/or help increase awareness maybe they can find a fast solution.

Ok, everyone with a model x or y with towing package needs to form a bucket brigade from SC to SC starting in Baker all the way to Pikes Peak. Pronto.

TBH I think that video is unhelpful. Sure, hydrogen is dumb-as-a-box-of-frogs for at last 100 reasons, but lets not compare the filling speed of a single hydrogen pump with a single supercharger stall. We all know how long it takes to fill a tesla from empty. Its not a straight comparison.
Plus its very early days for hydrogen cars, what matters is the ratio of pumps to chargers. I doubt a hydrogen car owner is going to be queueing.

Hydrogen cars are silly already, we don't have to exaggerate the situation and make unfair comparisons.

The required capital though for a set rate of customer throughput on a hydrogen filling station vs. a supercharger station is many many many times higher in hydrogen's case however. Many many many times...

Would be great if Elon showed up with his Cybertruck to effortlessly pull the loaded trailer and the Duracrap at the same time.

Talk about an itchslapping.

Wait what!? I see a subscription tab in the upgrades section…am I missing something?

0DF4954F-BA28-4FE0-9AAC-8A442367A93F.png

• Love
Reactions: Jovian
Anyone have thoughts on the new bipartisan supported chair of the FTC, Lina Khan, and her stances as a big tech critic with Tesla?

Edit: Looks like she's really developed a knowledgebase about Amazon and its current antitrust issues. I do wonder how this'll affect Tesla's potential dominance in infrastructure and what this means in all things transportation and energy infrastructure that Musk is spearheading innovation on right now and, likely, going forward.

Anyone have thoughts on the new bipartisan supported chair of the FTC, Lina Khan, and her stances as a big tech critic with Tesla?

It seems like her prior stances were targeted towards FB and others of that like. If I recall, one of the things she called out was about user privacy and the amount of data being collected on these users. Also, in terms of monopolistic actions, Tesla is far from that and the only concern would maybe be charging stations (similar to the German MP). But, there are many charging station companies and the demand for them is increasing constantly.

Media headline Monday morning: “New Tesla Model S Plaid Stranded on Side of Highway - Electric Vehicles Still Not Reliable”

Edit: Looks like she's really developed a knowledgebase about Amazon and its current antitrust issues. I do wonder how this'll affect Tesla's potential dominance in infrastructure and what this means in all things transportation and energy infrastructure that Musk is spearheading innovation on right now and, likely, going forward.
Tesla's energy infrastructure is just getting started and with two percent market share in the US vehicle market, it's too soon to fret about anti-trust actions.

I pay prime rate on my margin at iTrade. I had to call and ask for it though. Maybe call your broker first and if they won’t match that, call and ask around and see if any of the other brokers will do it for you. Then you can go back to yours and threaten to leave (and leave if they won’t match).
IMO it's better to sell far out put spreads for leverage instead of margin to avoid interest

Ex: The June 2023 400/450 spread collects 85% of the max risk in premium (max risk = the maintenance requirement, which should be kept well under 50% of your account value). So you can effectively have up to 85% margin at zero interest for two years, and if TSLA is above 450 at that time, you also will have collected an additional 85% return on your "margin" since you keep the premium

She seems to be quite brilliant, and former colleagues claim she is too wise to be caught in doctrinaire corners, That, IMHO, remains to be seen. OTOH she is definitely exceedingly competent, so there will be surprises, for good or ill.
Caveat: My three sources are all fellow graduates of Columbia Law and/or Business School. We as a group are biased in favor of our own. She ended out there but wasn't educated there.

Tesla's energy infrastructure is just getting started and with two percent market share in the US vehicle market, it's too soon to fret about anti-trust actions.

I'm not sure - Musk has been consistent to mention over the years that Tesla's mission is to accelerate the adoption of sustainable transportation and energy. To me, that means they're growing a new ecosystem (transportation, energy, data, personalization, etc...) and their actions, such as opening up their patents and accelerating the battery ecosystem to all other players. The open sourcing of patents seems like a much more brilliant move as the years pass, tbh.

An appointment such as Lina Khan sounds like it makes sense to get ahead of the curve to support the Climate Change fight agenda that the Biden Administration is taking on and build this new (worldwide) transportation and energy infrastructure from not getting unwieldy (seems similar to the Paris Climate Accord happening in 11/2015 two years after Tesla's run-up in 2013/2014).

What's the point of dominating cars and energy if everything else is burning?

Not so sure about that. We have a few HY stations in Norway. And they have a limit on how many cars that can fill per hour. Which is no problem when the number of HY cars is very low. But one could risk to come to a free HY pump and then have to wait for an our while the pump readies itself. So if these cars become more popular I'm certain there will be queuing.

Bjørn "Teslabjørn" Nyland has a couple of vids about this on his Youtube channel.