Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so sure about that. We have a few HY stations in Norway. And they have a limit on how many cars that can fill per hour. Which is no problem when the number of HY cars is very low. But one could risk to come to a free HY pump and then have to wait for an our while the pump readies itself. So if these cars become more popular I'm certain there will be queuing.

Bjørn "Teslabjørn" Nyland has a couple of vids about this on his Youtube channel.
I really doubt hydrogen cars will ever be popular, if for no other reason than that people are not good about car maintenance, and hydrogen cars need maintenance in the same way that steam engines need maintenance: on time and frequent. Otherwise it's explosion city. This is the number one reason that steam cars never became popular. Hydrogen cars even have a "don't drive past" date on them.

I mean no matter what we say, Tesla does what Tesla does - but IMHO Plaid should be reserved to top-spec 3 motor torque verctoring cars.

< 2,5 = Plaid - should be physical max acceleration for the car, maybe CT is slower
> 2,5 < 2,5 = Ludicrous - should be above performance and maybe a software update to performance
> 2,5 < 4 = Performance Model base spec

This would mean you can only buy Standard, Performance, Plaid - and Performance has a s/w OTA upgrade to Lucicrous.
When is the Model S Plaid getting a Performance Ludicrous 2+ mode?

Last edited:
Most normies have no idea just how stupid and lame ICE cars are going to seem in a few years... By 2027 Tesla's performance lineup will probably look something like this:

Model S/X Plaid: 1,500hp AWD & 500 miles of range for ~$140k
Model 3/Y Plaid: 900hp AWD & 450 miles of range for ~$70k
Model 2/Z Plaid: 600hp AWD & 400miles of range for ~$45k
They seem stupid and lame now. I’ve felt they have been stupid and lame since 2012.

Well Folks! It's Finally Here!
We have reached the Tipping Point on the Model Y ramp where Tesla is GAAP profitable without Reg Credits and S&X sales.
I will have more details in a few days in the Financial Thread but I wanted to post this Adjusted P&L here as I think it is an important point to investors.
I conservatively took my Q2 deliveries down from 210k to 205k.....and the numbers still look fantastic.
Excluding Reg Credits and Model S&X, we would get GAAP profit of $354m and non-GAAP profit of $810m.
With the credits and S&X the numbers are of course much higher.
Why do I think this is important?
Now that Tesla is profitable with only the Model 3&Y from 2 factories, the noise around delays on Models S&X refresh, 4680 battery, Semi, CyberTruck, Berlin, Austin, etc is moot. Even it there are delays it won't be an existential threat to Tesla. They'll keep ramping model Y produciton and printing money.

1624134773604.png

1624135009597.png

Saw this recently published article in the EV1. If they understood the battery was the limiting factor why did they not continue when Lithium Ion became available?

From my experience in the auto industry there is little room for a business that cannot clearly make money on day 1. This is likely the reason it was killed.

" why did they not continue when Lithium Ion became available? "

Because OIL

Longer answer, same actors behind the FUD

Hopefully this puts the "what batteries are in the Model S Plaid?" To an end. From MotorTrend, and yes, I would think they asked Tesla when they dropped of the Model S Plaid.

"When the now popular Tesla Model S electric car was first introduced in 2012, there were no Superchargers available. Today, there are 25,000 Tesla Superchargers around the world, and with the Model S Plaid adopting a new powertrain, Tesla was able to re-design the battery to take advantage of the third-gen 250-kW Supercharger. Despite Tesla still using the 18650 form-factor cylindrical battery cells, these now have improved chemistry to deliver higher performance and durability. (This is the fourth major chemistry improvement since the first Model S.) With it newest 100-kWh battery pack, Tesla claims the Plaid can recover 187 miles of driving range in 15 minutes of charging at a V3 Supercharger. But just how realistic is that claim in practice? "

Hopefully this puts the "what batteries are in the Model S Plaid?" To an end. From MotorTrend, and yes, I would think they asked Tesla when they dropped of the Model S Plaid.

"When the now popular Tesla Model S electric car was first introduced in 2012, there were no Superchargers available. Today, there are 25,000 Tesla Superchargers around the world, and with the Model S Plaid adopting a new powertrain, Tesla was able to re-design the battery to take advantage of the third-gen 250-kW Supercharger. Despite Tesla still using the 18650 form-factor cylindrical battery cells, these now have improved chemistry to deliver higher performance and durability. (This is the fourth major chemistry improvement since the first Model S.) With it newest 100-kWh battery pack, Tesla claims the Plaid can recover 187 miles of driving range in 15 minutes of charging at a V3 Supercharger. But just how realistic is that claim in practice? "

I love how they start out the article with the 5%-95% charging time. You might charge to 95% your first few times supercharging, however once you become accustomed to how charging works you only charge that long when you are eating at a restaurant or need a nap.

Been speaking to my advisor about the Plaid orders that were in while FSD was $8k. He said they're honoring all of those and are working in the back end on getting that applied. Even if you had already accepted the payment terms they can still adjust it.

Finally talked myself into pulling the trigger on the Plaid. Figure I'll keep the S75 and hopefully convince mom to replace her Corolla with it. Then when the roadster comes out possibly trade in the Plaid that will have a much higher trade in value than the 75.

Decided to have a bit of fun with the monthly payment...though I'm sure that'll get messed up once they adjust for FSD.
1624137099468.png

Plaid S stuck in a trailer on way to Pikes Peak (unreliable internal combustion engines 😒), if you guys could retweet and/or help increase awareness maybe they can find a fast solution.

Just get the Plaid S out of the trailer and drive it to the destination! DUH ;)
Why do they need to tow it in the first place ? That car is quite capable of driving on the highway on its own (even without a driver, just ask Consumer Reports LOL)

Just get the Plaid S out of the trailer and drive it to the destination! DUH ;)
Why do they need to tow it in the first place ? That car is quite capable of driving on the highway on its own (even without a driver, just ask Consumer Reports LOL)

They ripped out the interior including the airbags. Maybe other safety equipment?

No longer road legal?

The pace of outbound logistics has picked up tremendously at Giga Shanghai since the new East extension road and canal bridge have opened for traffic:

I have never seen so many car carrier trucks come and go with such a rapid turnaround.

Cheers!
So if they are doing around 500,000 cars a year, that would be a car every minute. And a car carrier every eight minutes. Wow.

Also, in terms of monopolistic actions, Tesla is far from that and the only concern would maybe be charging stations (similar to the German MP). But, there are many charging station companies and the demand for them is increasing constantly.
Yes and the (stated) reason Germany is considering a single system had to do with ease of use through a common App on a cell phone.

Those painful videos of other charging experiences across EV brands suggests to me there is benefit for the consumer, along with some oversight on costs, and maybe taxes come into play.

It's a question I get a lot... who will pay for roads if gas sales decline? Considering how gas taxes are keeping our infrastructure running so well today, I might like to see better management (maintenance) plan should this occur. Meanwhile, what is a good ans for this, or where is it headed?

Been speaking to my advisor about the Plaid orders that were in while FSD was $8k. He said they're honoring all of those and are working in the back end on getting that applied. Even if you had already accepted the payment terms they can still adjust it.

Finally talked myself into pulling the trigger on the Plaid. Figure I'll keep the S75 and hopefully convince mom to replace her Corolla with it. Then when the roadster comes out possibly trade in the Plaid that will have a much higher trade in value than the 75.

Decided to have a bit of fun with the monthly payment...though I'm sure that'll get messed up once they adjust for FSD.
View attachment 675325
Just got an updated MVOA for my Plaid which I reserved way back in September '20. Interesting that it shows as a new order placed today. Shows the pre-increase $119,990 but no love with the FSD -showing $10K instead of the $8K when I reserved. Hopefully they'll make good on the prior price.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 5.21.19 PM.png

Yes and the (stated) reason Germany is considering a single system had to do with ease of use through a common App on a cell phone.

Those painful videos of other charging experiences across EV brands suggests to me there is benefit for the consumer, along with some oversight on costs, and maybe taxes come into play.

It's a question I get a lot... who will pay for roads if gas sales decline? Considering how gas taxes are keeping our infrastructure running so well today, I might like to see better management (maintenance) plan should this occur. Meanwhile, what is a good ans for this, or where is it headed?
The problem is that the gas taxes go into general revenue, so they never see roads directly. Regards of how high you make gas or electric taxes, roads won't get any more funds. In some countries, Japan for example, gas taxes go into a roads only fund, this also has it's problems because the taxes are higher than road maintenance so they keep building new roads where no new roads are required just to use up the funds.