Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was heavily over-leveraged on options, sometimes got margin called or lost $$$ on short term uber-bullish option trades that did not work out. That is why I found it funny how his girlfriend was going on about how Elon does not care about "investors" with his emotional tweets that damage the stock price from time to time. Of course, the reality is that Elon's tweets never damaged investors (who buy and hold shares for long term), but often damaged people like TT who are more like gamblers with over-leveraged short term options.
As an option-gabmbler i can second that ;)

But if you can't buy puts in time to prevent a margin-call you are doing something wrong.

That must be a very recent release to have so few Autopilot miles, but there does not seem to be a recent release according to TeslaFI (last was 2021.4.18.3 on 10 June).

Isn´t he just talking about FSD, and IIRC correctly FSD is a different code base not pushed to the public, but so far only chosen beta testers? That would explain fewer miles. Also, he might be talking about THE first wide release which is now beta tested before it comes to everybody.

Here is today's TSLA Tech chart at the Open: Upper-BB $635.94 and MA(200) 614.11

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-06-21.09-30.png

Cheers!

That's all well and good except Jerome essentially got fired and cashed out all his stock. So either Elon was axing someone completely irrationally, or major mistakes were made in execution.

Believe it or not, Elon and Tesla are both capable of major mistakes. It's not the end of the world.
That story line doesn't fit the data. For him to have "cashed out" his stock as a result of being fired would have required him to know he was being fired in October when he filed his stock sales plan with the SEC. If he knew that, and the cause was execution failure of the S/X change, why wait until March to move him to trucking? And then why wait until June to fire him?

Feb 3rd, 2020: execution and sale (e&s) of 1,500 shares from Feb 2019 SEC plan.
Feb 20th: new stock sale plan filed with SEC

March 5th: small e&s for taxes on vested restricted stock option
April 4: 2,275 e&s per plan (4 part performance stock plan)
June 1: 4,548 e&s per plan
June 6th: small vested restricted stock e&s
July 1st: 3k execution and sale, per plan
August 3rd: 3k execution and sale, per plan
September 1st: 15k execution and sale, per plan
September 5th: Small vested restricted stock option sale
October 1: Execution and sale of 15k shares from Feb plan
October 19: new stock compersation plan: 4,280 shares a month for 48 months.

October 26th: New SEC stock sales plan filed

December 8th: small execution and sale. "3. 1/16th of the total restricted stock units initially subject to this award vested on September 5,2017, and 1/16th of the total units initially subject to this award vest every three months there after, so that all such shares subject to this award will be fully vested as of June 5, 2021."

December 10th: first execution and sale of 10k shares from Oct plan.

January 11th, 2021: Execution and sale of 10k shares. Additional information: "6/60th of the shares subject to the option became vested and exercisable on April 1, 2019, and 1/60th of the shares subject to the option shall become vested and exercisable each month there after, so that all such shares subject to this option shall be fully vested as of October 1, 2023."

February 10th: Execution and sale of 10k shares
March 10th: Execution and sale per plan of 10k shares

March 11th: Effective move date to president of Tesla Heavy Trucking.

April 12th: Execution/ sale of 10k shares per plan
Per 10-K/A, Jerome listed as executive officer as of April 29th.
May 10th: Execution and sale of 10k shares per plan
June 3rd, effective departure date

First 20 seconds of that video Andrej K admits he's never used Zoom before. That my friends is the most Bullish thing I've heard about Tesla in a year.

This is only half a joke.

Game on in 5 minutes!
To me that means he isn't wasting time on meetings and powerpoints all day.

My point is that I placed a $1,000 deposit for a Plaid+ last September and my final order had a $100 order fee. Then I receive an e-mail with a $1,000 order fee which my rep said is actually my deposit. If the $1,000 is actually a non-refundable order fee I will be extremely upset.

Same.

Last edited:
Looks like Elon can get away with a few more iterations of "coming in two months"... :D

Via @avoigt - Volkswagen CEO Brandstätter asked about when VWs Robotaxis:
Sometime between 2026 and 2030, we will have reached the point with the Volkswagen brand where autonomous driving reaches Level 4. This means that the vehicle will do the driving for the customer on certain, clearly defined routes.."

I was aware of most of the handicaps legacy auto has (advertising, obsolete factories, skill sets, no software, bloated supply chain, giant bureaucracies, non technical CEO’s, pensions, dealerships, inability to attract top tech talent…).

But this article points out one I wasn’t aware of. They’re shooting for a tighter communication loop between the auto company and their suppliers. From this article I just learned apparently there’s a lot of missteps lack of communication, suppliers kept in the dark. And this is something that Tesla has already addressed.

Possibly too pedantic: GM and Ford may be risk-'averse' in order to reduce 'adverse' effects.

No, it's built in to their corporate culture. Everyone wants a promotion and a raise, no one wants to take a chance (even when it's the logical thing to do). And layers of bureaucracy layered upon one another. Everyone is afraid to do anything different. Sandy Munro is quite familiar with these inbred characteristics of Ford and GM and it's a major reason why they are so slow to innovate. They are petrified of doing something wrong. The safe bet is to not stand out.

It's not pedantic, it goes right to the heart of why Tesla is able to outperform the legacy makers in such dramatic fashion.

No, it's built in to their corporate culture. Everyone wants a promotion and a raise, no one wants to take a chance (even when it's the logical thing to do). And layers of bureaucracy layered upon one another. Everyone is afraid to do anything different. Sandy Munro is quite familiar with these inbred characteristics of Ford and GM and it's a major reason why they are so slow to innovate. They are petrified of doing something wrong. The safe bet is to not stand out.

It's not pedantic, it goes right to the heart of why Tesla is able to outperform the legacy makers in such dramatic fashion.
Don’t think jbcarioca was arguing your point but making a grammatical correction.

the risk taking will always exist at Tesla as long as Musk is there. It is probably easier for a CEO to take hard decisions when he risked everything he had in his successful company. The board might be more inclined to trust them with critical decisions.
Henry Ford probably took more risks than the whole corporate team since 1945. The job of the following CEOs might be more not to destroy the legacy than anything else.

Think we can get Elon back on The Simpsons in the upcoming season (No. 33!)?

The episode was number 12 in season 26 and aired on Fox on Jan. 25, 2015.

If You Invested $1,000 In Tesla: The day after “The Musk Who Fell to Earth” aired, Tesla shares opened at $201.80. A $1,000 investment could’ve bought 4.96 shares based on the opening share price of Tesla on Jan. 26. In 2020, Tesla completed a five for one split, which would make the 4.96 shares a total of 24.8 shares of Tesla. Based on a share price of $624.27 at the time of writing, the 24.8 shares of Tesla would be worth $15,481.90. That represents a return of 1,447% in the six-plus years of owning the Tesla shares. Not a bad return for watching one of the most beloved shows in America.

:)

First 20 seconds of that video Andrej K admits he's never used Zoom before. That my friends is the most Bullish thing I've heard about Tesla in a year.

This is only half a joke.

Game on in 5 minutes!
I've still never used zoom. Or any other video calls for that matter. Guess that means I'm more productive than Andrej now. Unless I get minus points for being on tmc all day. Please tell me that doesn't count against me.